FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:58 pm

$150 certificate after writing to customer service for a 4.5hr mechanical rolling delay. No proactive customer appreciation link was given, but did receive meal vouchers.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
OK so 2 PS SFO-EWR-SFO canceled flights a couple weeks back for my wife. One was mechanical the other "weather". Had to fly AA both directions. We are not really looking for $$ as much as we lost the PQP's as we are trying (at least one of us) to get to 1K status this year. Since we are both MM's we can transfer the status to the spouse. Any chance of asking for some kind of PQP credit, we know we wil get some cash compensation but as this was biz travel really look for the lost points towards a status bump. Go to draft letter to CS tomorrow requesting compensation.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Any chance of asking for some kind of PQP credit, we know we wil get some cash compensation but as this was biz travel really look for the lost points towards a status bump
Well, you could request Original Routing Credit, but that requires not accepting a refund.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus, Sixt Plat
Hi! I am a 1K member. Recently, I was travelling from Japan to Brazil with my wife and two kids in Polaris. On the flight to to Newark I found out the connecting flight would be delayed for 12 hours (overnight) due to mechanical reasons. I immediately reached out to United a few times on instant messaging to get a hotel for the night but was on hold forever. In the meantime, each of us was offered 15K miles (as a 1K I was offered 25K), which I promptly redeemed. When we landed, after a 12-hour flight over 13 time zones with 2 kids, I just wanted to go to bed instead of waiting in line at the airport to talk to a CS representative to get a hotel voucher. I booked a hotel, paid for it, and emailed the receipt to United customercare. Now United claims I was only entitled to the miles, despite the fact that they sent me some meal vouchers -- 20 minutes before the second flight started boarding, so I could not use them. It seems to me that the miles given were a goodwill gesture, but I should still be reimbursed for my expenses due to the mechanical delay. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, you could request Original Routing Credit, but that requires not accepting a refund.
Already received full "refund" in ETC's and quite honestly not accepting the refund would have been obviously costly and not worth it. I guess will just end up with more ETC's.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already received full "refund" in ETC's and quite honestly not accepting the refund would have been obviously costly and not worth it. I guess will just end up with more ETC's.
You should have been eligible for actual refunds to the original form of payment for a flight cancellation.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You should have been eligible for actual refunds to the original form of payment for a flight cancellation.
I believe we did on the mechanical out bound but I thought we got ETC's on the "weather" cancelation but I am checking now.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fabio701
It seems to me that the miles given were a goodwill gesture, but I should still be reimbursed for my expenses due to the mechanical delay. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Yes, remind them on an intercontinental itinerary they need to provide/pay for a hotel. Now, you self-booked ... that is always tricky, $150 should be an easy ask.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Also, if you self-rebook, ORC can be problematic (related to accepting the refund).
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
data points: 2500 miles for 1.5 hour delay, $100 for 2 hours delay - both mechanical
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:27 pm

Some of the credit was almost immediately transferred to another booked UA flight with remainder of cash value to original CC. While we will get compensation for the cancelled flights that's not exactly what we are looking for. I would gladly take a 1000 PQP's in leu of the cash at this point.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some of the credit was almost immediately transferred to another booked UA flight with remainder of cash value to original CC. While we will get compensation for the cancelled flights that's not exactly what we are looking for. I would gladly take a 1000 PQP's in leu of the cash at this point.
UA does not offer PQPs as compensation. If you want to exchange cash for PQPs, that's what the Premier Accelerator does. So even post refund, you can still get PQPs.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA does not offer PQPs as compensation. If you want to exchange cash for PQPs, that's what the Premier Accelerator does. So even post refund, you can still get PQPs.
I just checked the link out and in the past I never used the Premier Accelerator offers but I see you can even basically purchase them on "dummy trip", cancel it and still keep the PQP's. While that probably won't be necessary I'll probably throw whatever cash (ETC) I get from UA at the accelerator offer on my next booking, a bit of a back door way of getting them but it works..... Thanks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:01 pm

I just checked the link out and in the past I never used the Premier Accelerator offers but I see you can even basically purchase them on "dummy trip", cancel it and still keep the PQP's. While that probably won't be necessary I'll probably throw whatever cash (ETC) I get from UA at the accelerator offer on my next booking, a bit of a back door way of getting them but it works..... Thanks.
Caution, in December and sometimes earlier the price premium increases for the Accelerators, for the folks waiting too late.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
IAD - FRA flight arrived in FRA 3 hours 25 minutes late due to maintenance issue requiring frame swap. Worth writing in, or no (nothing has been proactively offered)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.