United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, Bonvoy-Titanium
Hi everyone,

First time poster/longtime lurker.

Was schedule to fly BNA-IAH-LAX yesterday evening. BNA-IAH got delayed 2 hours due to late arriving crew, which would cause me to miss the connection at IAH. Called the premier desk, they confirmed the next flight out wasn't until 6:15 am the next morning (nearly 12 hour bump overnight). They re-booked me on that early flight through DEN. Submitted a complaint to customer care given the overnight delay, and got a $150 ETC and a note apologizing for "the weather."

Not super miffed overall considering I also got $100 ETC for them not catering J in BNA and I had a place to crash overnight, but $150 and an incorrect copy + paste email seems weak. Any merit to following up with the premier desk (note - plat status)?
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Left side of the seat in front of me (F on 738) reclined waaaaay too far, to within 5 inches of my face. Sent a funny(ish) e-mail to 1kvoice listing gripes:

- Tray table could not be opened normally
- The TV, even when titled, could not be viewed
- Hit my head when attempting to access my carry on
- Colleague's laptop was hard to use - doesn't fit in between me and the seat in front of me.

Attached photos taken from across the aisle of me making goofy faces; suffering the above problems. I hope someone at CS had a good chuckle. I got $200 ETC.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium; Hyatt - Globalist; United - 1K
Received $100 ETC for what was ultimately a 6.5 hour delay in arrival at final destination. Delay was on the initial flight from an outstation (mechanical), but was rebooked on a new itinerary after missed connection / unknown delay length. Looks like original flight had a 5.5 hour delay due to mechanical.

Just a data point, no real qualms / issues with the comp. Also got a food voucher for lunch once arrived in ORD (connection point).
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Received $250 ETC for no in-seat entertainment or wi-fi EZE to IAH on a Polaris Class ticket. Not real happy about it on a 11+ flight but per usual brought back up movies on my ipad and slept more. Applying for ETC for same on yesterdays ORD - SFO flight, haven't made call yet but curious as to what others think it should/could be. Seems to be happening so much now that I am now always bring "back-up" entertainment on my UA flights.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
$200 ETC for a broken middle partition in row 1 of a 78J.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:39 pm

Mechanical Delay for Global First Award Px

Hello, I am new to posting. May I please ask for opinions about a mechanical delay that cost me a day but which might have been avoidable if gate agents had checked alternatives? My 1hr connecting flight to SFO was delayed long enough to make me miss a 2pm Lufthansa connection to Germany, so I waited in SFO until the evening LH flight (~10pm). The local airport staff knew of the potential for me missing my international connection over two hours beforehand. I pleaded with the staff to rebook me through DEN, IAH, or ORD, all of which had first-class LH inventory, but the gate agents told me to "be patient" and I'd probably make my 2pm flight anyway. In the meantime, they rebooked other people to destinations in nearby states, but I was going to Munich. I was patient and I missed my connection. When I wrote and asked why I was seemingly disregarded as a Global First ticket holder, United gave me 10,000 "courtesy" miles and said "sorry." I was booked with a Global First award ticket for 110K miles one way. Should I be happy with 10K miles, or should I ask for more? If I'd have paid cash for this first-class ticket ($10,000?), it seems like I would get more compensation, although I don't think any is required. Should I be happy I got 10K and consider it fair?
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhb1954 View Post
When I wrote and asked why I was seemingly disregarded as a Global First ticket holder, United gave me 10,000 "courtesy" miles and said "sorry." I was booked with a Global First award ticket for 110K miles one way. Should I be happy with 10K miles, or should I ask for more? If I'd have paid cash for this first-class ticket ($10,000?), it seems like I would get more compensation, although I don't think any is required. Should I be happy I got 10K and consider it fair?
You're correct that more compensation isn't required (although they might give you more if you ask); you're probably incorrect in that paying for the ticket would have made an appreciable difference. Generally, the compensation is tied to status.

UA will likely allow you to get electronic travel credit toward a future UA-operated flight, if you would like that. The ratio is generally 2 cents per mile, so a $200 ETC. Do you have any status with United?

Did you eventually fly in F?
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hello, I am new to posting. May I please ask for opinions about a mechanical delay that cost me a day but which might have been avoidable if gate agents had checked alternatives?
I was patient and I missed my connection. When I wrote and asked why I was seemingly disregarded as a Global First ticket holder, United gave me 10,000 "courtesy" miles and said "sorry." I was booked with a Global First award ticket for 110K miles one way. Should I be happy with 10K miles, or should I ask for more? If I'd have paid cash for this first-class ticket ($10,000?), it seems like I would get more compensation, although I don't think any is required. Should I be happy I got 10K and consider it fair?
Sorry to hear of your troubles, disruption in travel is unsettling.

I would not go down the $10,000 route, as the 110K miles can be purchased from UA for well under $2,500 and most would value those miles as roughly $1,500. You received 10% refund. You can ask UA to convert the miles to a future travel credit of $200 if you prefer that.

Is the amount fair, just? That's a bit subjective but is roughly in the ballpark for what a no status passenger might receive for a one day delay. UA provides "compensation based on the severity of the issue, status and then cabin. A high elite in your situation might have gotten 2x . But there is odd inconsistency as reviewing this thread shows.

So there is no simple answer but it is clear you are unhappy, what are you looking for?
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I was booked with a Global First award ticket for 110K miles one way. Should I be happy with 10K miles, or should I ask for more?
You can always ask for more - but I'd recommend picking your battles.

I've been flying more on miles, including F, and when things rise to the level of compensation, I'm finding, at least for me, the comp is lower on award flights versus a revenue flight
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Family on EWR-HKG in Polaris. IFE was inop for entire flight. UnitedCares automatic compensation was $125, which I have not accepted yet. I don't know where that offer stands to the norm but I have had 6hr transcons in Business where this has happened and they offered $200, this was a 16 hour flight... I emailed in, one email for each passenger. The first two emails back referred me to UnitedCares for compensation. The third offered $100. Two are Silvers and one is nothing and I emailed the 1K desk (not that it should have any bearing since only I am 1K and was not with them). Should I email back and request more?
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoDestinations View Post
Family on EWR-HKG in Polaris. IFE was inop for entire flight. UnitedCares automatic compensation was $125, which I have not accepted yet. I don't know where that offer stands to the norm but I have had 6hr transcons in Business where this has happened and they offered $200, this was a 16 hour flight... I emailed in, one email for each passenger. The first two emails back referred me to UnitedCares for compensation. The third offered $100. Two are Silvers and one is nothing and I emailed the 1K desk (not that it should have any bearing since only I am 1K and was not with them). Should I email back and request more?
Flew Del-EWR and got $575 per person for no ife the whole flight. Id suggest asking for more
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoDestinations View Post
Remember status and cabin are factors in the level of compensation -- along with severity. so low/no-status passengers in economy will be well below 1K in Business (even on a shorter flight). How many rounds of emails have you sent already after the UnitedCares offer -- two? What are you looking for? Doubt you get as high as the $200.
But it is your time to decide how to use.
To get an idea of other offers, you can skim this thread.
Non-elites with a full day delay are being offered $125-$150.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
1K (my MM companion) delayed 2:35 this weekend for MX on UX (not weather). Wrote in asking for compensation (website not 1K email), flatly denied ("We don't provide compensation for 3 hour delays").

Does this seem out of line, or consistent with what others are seeing post-purpoted January 2020 changes? Unclear how to push back beyond replying and saying this is inconsistent with my/our personal precedent. Would appreciate any thoughts / recent comparison points.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 20, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Does this seem out of line
Maybe in tone; not in policy.

or consistent with what others are seeing post-purpoted January 2020 changes? Unclear how to push back beyond replying and saying this is inconsistent with my/our personal precedent. Would appreciate any thoughts / recent comparison points.
If approved, 2:35 would be the shortest delay I ever remember seeing generate compensation.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
1K (my MM companion) delayed 2:35 this weekend for MX on UX (not weather). Wrote in asking for compensation (website not 1K email), flatly denied ("We don't provide compensation for 3 hour delays").

Does this seem out of line, or consistent with what others are seeing post-purpoted January 2020 changes? Unclear how to push back beyond replying and saying this is inconsistent with my/our personal precedent. Would appreciate any thoughts / recent comparison points.

Thanks.
Sidenote my sons flight was taxiing to the runway last evening, captain came on said we need to go back to the gate to check out a maintenance issue. Turns out it was an engine issue, UA subbed an identical aircraft, deplaned and boarded all passengers luggage and catering, within a two hour and 20 minute delay. Once I saw the way they handled this I was about to send in a complement, rather than considering any thought of compensation

Search this Thread