Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flight returns to EWR after dropping debris on takeoff 21 Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1572857395545624576
United 777 returns safely to Newark Airport following a technical issue, reportedly a problem with its hydraulics. A photo appeared on social media of suspected falling debris from the aircraft.
Anyone know more?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
UA 149 to GRU diverted. Circled over the atlantic for a little over an hour
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...305Z/KEWR/KEWR
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:40 am

N787UA. Same plane that had to be evacuated earlier this month in Amsterdam. I know stuff happens but it sure seems UA is experiencing more issues than normal right now.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by zeus2120
N787UA. Same plane that had to be evacuated earlier this month in Amsterdam. I know stuff happens but it sure seems UA is experiencing more issues than normal right now.
That's weird. I didn't even check the tail number. Previous issue was due to smoke in the cabin, right?
zeus2120 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Sparks fly from United flight before emergency landing at Newark airport
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Looks like something being liberated from the air driven hydraulic pump exhaust port.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Looks like something being liberated from the air driven hydraulic pump exhaust port.
nice technical answer. Can you tell us a bit more? I’m an A&P but only worked on light aircraft. So does the hydraulic pump for landing gear work off of bleed air? Looks like a failure of the impeller or something along those lines. I am curious.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete
nice technical answer. Can you tell us a bit more? I’m an A&P but only worked on light aircraft. So does the hydraulic pump for landing gear work off of bleed air? Looks like a failure of the impeller or something along those lines. I am curious.
I haven't flown the 777 so don't know the specifics of its systems. What I've heard, suggests that it is similar to the 767's system.

On the 767, the center hydraulic system has the high-load items, gear and flaps, and is powered by three pumps. Two electric pumps which run all the time and a third air-driven demand pump (ADP) which runs only when demand exceeds the capability of the two main pumps. The ADP is powered by pneumatic pressure and will normally run during gear retraction, which is consistent with the phase of flight in the video.

On the 767, if the ADP is deferred, there is a rather severe weight penalty on takeoff (several thousand pounds). The penalty is because the gear retraction cycle will be a lot slower which will affect the climb angle in the event of an engine failure during takeoff and a lighter weight is required to maintain the applicable safety margin.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If you haven't watched any of the VASAviaton videos in the past, check out the one they did on UA149. It includes the video and ATC traffic

Some of these recent incidents remind me of COdbaUA canceling INTL flights left and right due to a variety of mx issues in 2014 and 2015.

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

EWRSNA and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.