Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1279 YVR-ORD, late night flight, Preclearance or not?

Old Sep 22, 22, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass

I’m booked on UA 1279 which leaves YVR at 11:25pm, however YVR Preclearance closes at 8:30pm.

I would’ve thought that this would mean that this flight wouldn’t go through Preclearance at YVR and instead immigration would be done at ORD, however it seems to arrive at Terminal 1 rather than Terminal 5.

Does this means I have to get to YVR in time to get through Preclearance by 8:30?
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
I’m booked on UA 1279 which leaves YVR at 11:25pm, however YVR Preclearance closes at 8:30pm.

I would’ve thought that this would mean that this flight wouldn’t go through Preclearance at YVR and instead immigration would be done at ORD, however it seems to arrive at Terminal 1 rather than Terminal 5.

Does this means I have to get to YVR in time to get through Preclearance by 8:30?
I suggest calling UA on this one. To add to the confusion, Monday night’s flight arrived at T1, Tuesday night’s flight arrived arrived at T5, and last night’s flight (3 hours late) is expected shortly at T1. Go figure.

edit: Last night's flight now arriving at T5.

My wild stab at this is CBP will stay open at YVR to process the last flight… unless they choose not to on any given evening.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Sep 22, 22 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I suggest calling UA on this one. To add to the confusion, Monday night’s flight arrived at T1, Tuesday night’s flight arrived arrived at T5, and last night’s flight (3 hours late) is expected shortly at T1. Go figure.

Could it be that on the days the flight parks at T1, pax get bused to T5 to clear customs?
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post

My wild stab at this is CBP will stay open at YVR to process the last flight… unless they choose not to on any given evening.
Where do you see flight arriving in T1? Monday night (Tuesday arrival) came in at M15 (T5) per Flightaware. Every flight in recent days/weeks arrived at T5.

CBP will not stay open for late evening departing flights ex-YVR. Plan for T5.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Or call YVR CBP

lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass
Thanks. From the looks of it I believe I won’t be doing Preclearance as the flight leaves too late in the day.

my understanding is that Preclearance flights leave from E gates, whereas international flights leave from D gates and the flight seems to always leave from D gates.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Where do you see flight arriving in T1? Monday night (Tuesday arrival) came in at M15 (T5) per Flightaware. Every flight in recent days/weeks arrived at T5.

Can't see it any longer on UA's website but I *thought* it claimed Monday night's flight arrived T1. I must be mis-remembering that as it looks like FlightAware is showing every day arriving at T5.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:38 am

As you've noted, YVR pre-clearance is only for flights leaving up until around 8pm.

All the redeyes to US leave from international D gates, which has its own security and separate airside, so you won't be allowed to go into US pre-clearance area as your flight won't leave from there even if you show up and try to go through security and CBP like 5 hours before your flight (they do check BP). You are not allowed to go from US departure gates to international / domestic airside.

You'll still check in at the usual UA counters landside, and then walk over to the international security. Since you'll leave from D gates, you will have access to the international MLL and the 2 priority pass lounges if eligible. Then you will clear immigration when you land in ORD - most definitely in T5 / M gates.

Also, when I did this back in June, UA did not open their counters for the redeye flights until 3 hours before departure, so not sure if that's changed.
asovse1 and FriendlySkies like this.

Last edited by kevflyer; Sep 22, 22 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post

Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
As you've noted, YVR pre-clearance is only for flights leaving up until around 8pm.

All the redeyes to US leave from international D gates, which has its own security and separate airside, so you won't be allowed to go into US pre-clearance area as your flight won't leave from there even if you show up and try to go through security and CBP like 5 hours before your flight (they do check BP). You are not allowed to go from US departure gates to international / domestic airside.

You'll still check in at the usual UA counters landside, and then walk over to the international security. Since you'll leave from D gates, you will have access to the international MLL and the 2 priority pass lounges if eligible. Then you will clear immigration when you land in ORD - most definitely in T5 / M gates.

Also, when I did this back in June, UA did not open their counters for the redeye flights until 3 hours before departure, so not sure if that's changed.
I took this flight a couple of weeks ago and can confirm that the OP will be departing from YVR International Terminal. I cleared customs at ORD.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There just aren’t enough evening departures at YVR to the US to justify keeping pre-clearance open. This evening, the only flights post 20:30 aside from the UA flight to ORD is the B6 flight to JFK. nothing until a 6am to SEA on AC.

back in the day, there were definitely more late evening departures, but I think even then, pre-clearance wasn’t open any later.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
There just aren’t enough evening departures at YVR to the US to justify keeping pre-clearance open. This evening, the only flights post 20:30 aside from the UA flight to ORD is the B6 flight to JFK. nothing until a 6am to SEA on AC.

back in the day, there were definitely more late evening departures, but I think even then, pre-clearance wasn’t open any later.
Correct. Even in the summer when there are seasonal redeyes like UA to EWR and IAH (and IAD pre-covid I think), AA to DFW, as well as DL to JFK, preclearance was never available for those flights.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
Correct. Even in the summer when there are seasonal redeyes like UA to EWR and IAH (and IAD pre-covid I think), AA to DFW, as well as DL to JFK, preclearance was never available for those flights.
Pre-COVID, I took the CX YVR-JFK flights a bit and I always cleared customs at JFK.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Pre-COVID, I took the CX YVR-JFK flights a bit and I always cleared customs at JFK.
That route introduced me to CX. I miss it.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread