Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Old Sep 22, 22, 9:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
OK, maybe privacy isn't the right term, but the odd rows have a lot more distractions as ppl walk past within a couple inches, versus the 1-2 foot separation between the aisle and odd numbered (window) seats.
Agree the choice of the odd window seats is, for many, the access to a window, which is nearly useless on the even seats, The middle odd seats have just as much privacy but no window.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Window access is also why I dislike herringbone designs, reverse or otherwise. The odd Polaris seats are much superior to any window option in such a design.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
A door impedes egress during an emergency. Especially if it jams shut upon impact.
Right so I guess it was very fortunate for many airlines throughout the world to have fooled the regulators who certified seats with doors.

Also, you know how the cabin crew always tells you to know where the closest exit is? Well, as the lovely Pam Ann has openly joked about it: "Nearest exit? Might not be there when we break open over the Indian Ocean."
bocastephen likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Agree the choice of the odd window seats is, for many, the access to a window, which is nearly useless on the even seats, The middle odd seats have just as much privacy but no window.
A quick look at the seat maps on my next flights show the middle odd seats taken ahead of the even middle seats. Absent a window for both middle types, my conclusion that being further away from the aisle leads to more privacy/less distractions is proven!

Last edited by Dyce; Sep 22, 22 at 10:58 am Reason: mistyped odd twice!
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A quick look at the seat maps on my next flights show the middle odd seats taken ahead of the odd middle seats. ...
Assuming you are comparing odd and even middles. Odd middles are favorites for couples, with the divider barrier lowered.

So odd, windows and middles, are favored for different reasons -- windows or couples. It could be more privacy is another factor -- but it is not the only (or primary?) reason. It is clear from the seating threads couples are directed to the odd middles and window viewers are directed to odd windows. There is a some but much less frequent comments about line of sight issues with evens and the word privacy is rarely used.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Assuming you are comparing odd and even middles. Odd middles are favorites for couples, with the divider barrier lowered.
Yes - OP edited. From personal experience I rarely see more than one couple sitting in odd middle seats where they have the divider down. The vast majority of these seats have the divider up, suggesting ppl not traveling together, or married couples tired of speaking to each other.

So odd, windows and middles, are favored for different reasons -- windows or couples. It could be more privacy is another factor -- but it is not the only (or primary?) reason. It is clear from the seating threads couples are directed to the odd middles and window viewers are directed to odd windows. There is a some but much less frequent comments about line of sight issues with evens and the word privacy is rarely used.
OK, we're both speculating on what other people use as criteria for selecting seats. Personally I choose the odd numbered seats, window or not, to give me more privacy/separation from the aisle.
It might not bother some, but the fact remains that the even seats are nearly always the ones showing most availability a week before the flight...
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I like the odd row J seats because it's easier to look at the window. Couldn't care less about the privacy aspect.
I care about both. Theres more space too, in the little foyer/ entryway to the seat where you can put a bag or your shoes.

Separately, I cant help but wonder if another reason the odd seats tend to fill first is because, for the much larger number of non-FTers out there, they simply prefer a seat facing forward instead of angled, which is visibly apparent on the UA website seat selection page.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Very true on all accounts, but I've actually found myself gravitating towards even seats lately, believe it or not. For whatever reason, I find myself able to sleep better in those. Don't care about windows, and frankly, even when I'm traveling with my family, I'm perfectly OK sitting by myself. They can survive a couple hours without my inane prattling.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Very true on all accounts, but I've actually found myself gravitating towards even seats lately, believe it or not. For whatever reason, I find myself able to sleep better in those. Don't care about windows, and frankly, even when I'm traveling with my family, I'm perfectly OK sitting by myself. They can survive a couple hours without my inane prattling.
This. Wish those who already know that they're going to sleep the whole trip (or binge watch movies) pick the evens so the rest of us who wanna look out can get access to those seats.

David
bocastephen and dmurphynj like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Personally I choose the odd numbered seats, window or not, to give me more privacy/separation from the aisle.
Yep, even traveling solo, I would take an odd middle over any even row seat (window or middle). It's more private (with divider up), and there's more space to stretch out.

To me, the even row seats are significantly inferior to the odds.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Yep, even traveling solo, I would take an odd middle over any even row seat (window or middle). It's more private (with divider up), and there's more space to stretch out.

To me, the even row seats are significantly inferior to the odds.
Ah, so the evens are odd and the odds are good.

David
Dyce likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
This. Wish those who already know that they're going to sleep the whole trip (or binge watch movies) pick the evens so the rest of us who wanna look out can get access to those seats.
... doing my best for you! The "comfort" of the even seats has been a fairly recent discovery for me, so I can't change the past, but going forward ... that's my plan. I've flown over the Rockies enough to not need to see them every time.
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Interesting to read the anti door sentiment. But then think about why the odd numbered window seats get taken before the even ones privacy.
More usable windows; the even rows technically have a window but you can't necessarily see forward/backward/up/down where you want to.
zombietooth likes this.

Search this Thread