Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

AA's New Cabin Refresh - Has Polaris Been Left In The Dust?Are seat doors the future?

Old Sep 21, 22, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually fly in AA's newly configured cabins. What's important to me is the seat length in the flat position, as well as the size and shape of the foot cubby. IIRC, the seats on AA's 788s are particularly short and the foot space is narrow. That's not an issue in Polaris.

United, please spend your money in the Polaris cabin on operational expenses (food and drink!) and not on trivial capital seat improvements!
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post
No. Who needs doors. The present product is just fine
The design of this suite looks a lot like the UA suite. I love the Polaris suite and do not feel it needs a door. In fact, that may make it feel claustrophobic. I know others said it feels this way already, but I like the privacy. Not sure about being completely shut off from the aisle. I think the title of this thread is a little extreme. I will still be flying Polaris and enjoying it.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ll22949 View Post
The design of this suite looks a lot like the UA suite. I love the Polaris suite and do not feel it needs a door. In fact, that may make it feel claustrophobic. I know others said it feels this way already, but I like the privacy. Not sure about being completely shut off from the aisle. I think the title of this thread is a little extreme. I will still be flying Polaris and enjoying it.
The doors aren't controlled by flight crew. You can leave it open.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:44 pm

Also, at least at some airports, you get the Polaris lounge with meals, shower, etc. AA doesn't have that domestically, AFAIK?
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson View Post
Also, at least at some airports, you get the Polaris lounge with meals, shower, etc. AA doesn't have that domestically, AFAIK?
AA has the Flagship Lounge at (most of) its important hub airports.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
The doors aren't controlled by flight crew. You can leave it open.
100% agree. Just not sure a door leaves Uniteds design in the dust.
Old Sep 21, 22, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ll22949 View Post
100% agree. Just not sure a door leaves Uniteds design in the dust.
It actually does since DL already offers suites with doors on most A350s and A339s and eventually AA will do as well on some 777s and 787s
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:27 pm

Programs: All the programs!
A door is nice but not a must have. Good utilization of space and comfort are more important.
I agree with many that UA can immediately improve by restoring catering to Polaris launch levels.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
A door impedes egress during an emergency. Especially if it jams shut upon impact.
featheroleather and TPACjv like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:41 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I'm in the camp that thinks doors aren't necessary. Sure it might feel nice, but I've never sat in Polaris and thought "a door would make a big difference" since everyone walking by can see above that anyway.

The Premium Economy seat looks way nicer than United Premium Plus, and that to me is the big bit of this since that's where I end up most of the time with my upgrades.

I'm mostly curious to see how the soft product rolls out and how it gets better. In my mind, that's the easiest thing UA could fix to make the entire experience better than AA's hard product improvements, although I doubt they will. On the flip side, I'm also curious to see when it actually hits the main fleet for AA. It says "starting 2024," but how far into the year will it be before people regularly encounter it? A couple weeks ago I ended up on one of UA's HD 777's with the 2-4-2 lie flats which are wrinkled and worn out and it's 2022 so... hopefully they're faster than UA is.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:14 am

New seats with doors?

I don’t really get the point with these new doors… did anyone travel with it? Did it change anything privacy wise?...

https://news.yahoo.com/privacy-doors...002749664.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 22 at 3:26 am Reason: repaired link
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Interesting to read the anti door sentiment. But then think about why the odd numbered window seats get taken before the even ones privacy.

I dont think doors are needed on the odd numbered seats further away from the aisle, but in the even ones a door would IMO make it a better seat.

that said, a door wont make a bit of difference to the awful food & soft service currently being offered.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
Interesting to read the anti door sentiment. But then think about why the odd numbered window seats get taken before the even ones privacy.

I dont think doors are needed on the odd numbered seats further away from the aisle, but in the even ones a door would IMO make it a better seat.

that said, a door wont make a bit of difference to the awful food & soft service currently being offered.
I like the odd row J seats because it's easier to look at the window. Couldn't care less about the privacy aspect.
jsloan and DELee like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt*Globalist
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post

Well said! Unfortunately, it sppears the mentality of UA management is in the opposite.
They think giving us a gel pillow will make us feeling good about eating low quality good on thier planes.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I like the odd row J seats because it's easier to look at the window. Couldn't care less about the privacy aspect.
OK, maybe privacy isn't the right term, but the odd rows have a lot more distractions as ppl walk past within a couple inches, versus the 1-2 foot separation between the aisle and odd numbered (window) seats.

Search this Thread