Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I move from Krisflyer Gold to United

Should I move from Krisflyer Gold to United

Old Sep 20, 22, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer
Question Should I move from Krisflyer Gold to United

I recently reached Gold with Singapore Airlines and am now wondering whether I made the right decision. I am based out of SFO, a United hub, and question whether Star Alliance Gold status would be more easily achieved crediting to United.

Pre-covid I was based in Australia where Singapore's Krisflyer made perfect sense. Since then I have relocated to SFO. I had Silver status that carried over and so started crediting all flights to Sinagpore as I thought it would be my best chance to Gold. Despite flying a lot, Singapore was only awarding 25-50% miles when flying economy. It was my business class flights that did most of the heavy lifting. United is the carrier I fly the most though and it would be nice to see my coast to coast flights having more of an impact on status.

Should I start crediting to United instead? Does this mean I lost the benefits of Singapore Gold in the meantime? From what I understand, United does not status match their Star Alliance partners.
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
If you're mainly flying United, there's certainly an argument for crediting to UA: UA treats its own elites better than they treat *Gs.

Others can weigh in on whether it's easier or harder to qualify on UA or SQ, and on possibilities for status-matching. For UA, for this year, to reach *G, you need 16 premier qualifying flights and 6,000 premier qualifying points (roughly, though not exactly, dollars); or 7,000 PQP.
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travel193 View Post
I recently reached Gold with Singapore Airlines and am now wondering whether I made the right decision. I am based out of SFO, a United hub, and question whether Star Alliance Gold status would be more easily achieved crediting to United.

Pre-covid I was based in Australia where Singapore's Krisflyer made perfect sense. Since then I have relocated to SFO. I had Silver status that carried over and so started crediting all flights to Sinagpore as I thought it would be my best chance to Gold. Despite flying a lot, Singapore was only awarding 25-50% miles when flying economy. It was my business class flights that did most of the heavy lifting. United is the carrier I fly the most though and it would be nice to see my coast to coast flights having more of an impact on status.

Should I start crediting to United instead? Does this mean I lost the benefits of Singapore Gold in the meantime? From what I understand, United does not status match their Star Alliance partners.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You can credit to UA and use benefits of SQ *G in the meantime.

However, which benefit do you prefer? UA *G will get a better luggage allowance on domestic flights and free access to E+ seats at booking (+1 companion). SQ *G will get you access to the United Club on domestic itineraries. UA *G would also get you the theoretical possibility of upgrades on short-haul flights (SFO-EWR excluded), but realistically you're more likely to be #18 -- or #80 -- on the upgrade list than #1.

Some people prefer to qualify for status on other airlines because they'd rather have the club benefit than E+.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind welcome and helpful response. Really appreciate it.

It's less a question of which benefits I prefer and more whether Gold status will be easier to retain crediting to United instead. I didn't realise I could still benefit from Krisflyer Gold while crediting to United, so that might tip the scales. I also misread United's policy and didn't realise I can use United Club with Star Alliance Gold. Should have used this last week!

When it comes to seat selection, is there any way for United to know I'm Star Alliance Gold if I'm crediting to United instead? I'm guessing they would also not know to assign boarding group 1.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
If you're mainly flying United, there's certainly an argument for crediting to UA: UA treats its own elites better than they treat *Gs.

Others can weigh in on whether it's easier or harder to qualify on UA or SQ, and on possibilities for status-matching. For UA, for this year, to reach *G, you need 16 premier qualifying flights and 6,000 premier qualifying points (roughly, though not exactly, dollars); or 7,000 PQP.
If I had started crediting to United at the start of the year, I would have made to Gold far quicker. Lesson learned.

Now to work out what I miss out on by crediting to United now rather than Singapore.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the kind welcome and helpful response. Really appreciate it.

It's less a question of which benefits I prefer and more whether Gold status will be easier to retain crediting to United instead. I didn't realise I could still benefit from Krisflyer Gold while crediting to United, so that might tip the scales. I also misread United's policy and didn't realise I can use United Club with Star Alliance Gold. Should have used this last week!

When it comes to seat selection, is there any way for United to know I'm Star Alliance Gold if I'm crediting to United instead? I'm guessing they would also not know to assign boarding group 1.
I don't believe *G has any seat selection benefits.

Regarding boarding group 1, see this thread: Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

The basic approach is to check in using the account with premier benefits and then to switch to your United account separately.

As for which is easier -- probably UA, although it comes down to the cost of your tickets. You mention earning 25% on some transcons. SFO-IAD at 25% is 605 miles, or 1.2% of the mileage needed for SQ Gold. If that fare is $200 + taxes and fees -- which might even be a little high for the fares that book into 25% buckets, honestly -- that's 2.8% of this year's earnings requirement for UA Gold. (Of course, they haven't published next year's criteria yet...)

Also, note that UA is based on calendar year qualification. Your PQPs will reset to 0 on January 1. So, you may not want to bother collecting UA PQPs until 2023.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Again, this massively helpful. Thanks.
I'll experiment with account switching.

A few international flights in business meant that I would have easily met the PQP, so this seems like the way forward.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the move to the USA permanent or do you anticipate moving beck to Australia after a few (how many?) years? Often it's best to try to maintain status on the airline you actually fly most, but the nonUA *Golds having UA lounge access even on domestic itineraries can be reason for an exception. Within *A, having or not having *Gold status seems to make a difference--for instance, lounge access even when flying coach on international itineraries and getting into SEN lounges rather than LH business class lounges when flying business class--so if you can't maintain *Gold with some FF programs you're considering, that would be a strong reason for making a choice to eliminate them.
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
What are your regular routes now being on the west coast? Domestic and some international travels Alaska maybe a good option especially for west coast origins, and in my opinion the best frequent flyer program in the US. One of the last mileage-based programs and well rounded airline partners (not just OW, but also non-alliance partners such as SQ) with awards charts still. A bit disappointed AS doesn't a big presence on the east coast (surprise surprise I am east coast-based), but I come away from AS flights wanting more.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:32 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
you dont get domestic united club access with united gold. One of the reasons i am annoyed i missed the krisflyer deposit points and get gold status promotion.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
One thing to remember is that KrisFlyer miles expire after 3 years while United miles have no expiration - make sure you can use them in that timeframe.
Old Sep 21, 22, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Personally, I'd credit to UA for E+ at booking. That would be more important to me than domestic UC access.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is the move to the USA permanent or do you anticipate moving beck to Australia after a few (how many?) years? Often it's best to try to maintain status on the airline you actually fly most, but the nonUA *Golds having UA lounge access even on domestic itineraries can be reason for an exception. Within *A, having or not having *Gold status seems to make a difference--for instance, lounge access even when flying coach on international itineraries and getting into SEN lounges rather than LH business class lounges when flying business class--so if you can't maintain *Gold with some FF programs you're considering, that would be a strong reason for making a choice to eliminate them.
Unknown, but I'll definitely be here a couple more years at least, so SFO is home base for a while.
Domestic lounge access on United is so confusing for me and I am sure has been a topic on FT for a while. It's pretty crazy to me that I did not have lounge access coming in on LH business transferring to a domestic flight on United business. I thought they had made a mistake when I went to enter the lounge.

You make good points about Star Alliance Gold, so I'll need to scope out retaining Krisflyer Gold. I'm pretty sure I'll make it, but it just really frustrates me that I can fly a lot domestically or long personal trips in economy and earn hardly anything with Singapore. The international business flights at 125% miles were all that mattered really.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty crazy to me that I did not have lounge access coming in on LH business transferring to a domestic flight on United business. I thought they had made a mistake when I went to enter the lounge.
*A lounges are departure lounges. You're not the first surprised passenger

You would have had access:
  • As a SQ *G member, because you were departing on a UA flight, or
  • As a UA *G member, because you were arriving on an LH flight (international itinerary), or
  • If you had arrived in United Polaris, regardless of status
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
What are your regular routes now being on the west coast? Domestic and some international travels Alaska maybe a good option especially for west coast origins, and in my opinion the best frequent flyer program in the US. One of the last mileage-based programs and well rounded airline partners (not just OW, but also non-alliance partners such as SQ) with awards charts still. A bit disappointed AS doesn't a big presence on the east coast (surprise surprise I am east coast-based), but I come away from AS flights wanting more.
SFO - EWR
SFO - EWR or JFK

The other work travel is totally random depending on what comes up during the year. Then a lot of international travel which is mostly European centric.
Alaska had a status match I was tempted by, but Star Alliance seems much better for the routes I am going to in Europe. Alaska does seem like a great choice for many though.

My personal travel is mostly Asia and Australia and then random domestic flights once again.

Search this Thread