Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New 777-2xx issue leading to grounding? Leading edge slats inspection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 777-2xx issue leading to grounding? Leading edge slats inspection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Could this be another debacle like the 772 HD config that was grounded for what seemed like an eternity?

UA 149 (EWR-GRU) on 21 Sept had to return to EWR and make an emergency landing after sparks were seen flying through the sky and debris fell over North Jersey…i fear this sounds eerily similar to what happened over Denver. And I’ll be on that São Paulo flight myself next week!

Will be interesting to see how United and the FAA respond to this incident.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Could this be another debacle like the 772 HD config that was grounded for what seemed like an eternity? ....
Apparent this is an overnight inspection job and some aircraft have been returned to service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is, but it has nothing to do with aviation.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Wing foil surfing!

Time to change the thread title again.
​​​​​​​
Okay, I'll concede the point!

(in my defense, I'm an aeronautical engineer, so my thinking tends to have a specific scope!)
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Wow, that's a lot of affected px.

There was a quick weather event which rolled through the area this evening around 6pm. Hope UA doesn't back out of proper compensation.
Just curious, what would proper compensation for this look like? We were given a hotel in IAD and $40 in airport vouchers. Our flight was canceled and we departed 24 hours later.

Is this a DOT claim, or should I just take the $250 goodwill e-cert offer?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jb691809
Just curious, what would proper compensation for this look like? We were given a hotel in IAD and $40 in airport vouchers. Our flight was canceled and we departed 24 hours later.

Is this a DOT claim, or should I just take the $250 goodwill e-cert offer?
There is no legally mandated compensation in the US and DOT won’t wade into compensation issues as long as the airline is following through on what they’ve committed to in their published policies and DOT filings. All the airline commits to for controllabel reasons is hotel/food vouchers. Any further compensation in this case js as you mentioned, goodwill, and at the discretion of the airline. You could push back and they might throw an extra $50 on the voucher or some miles, but probably not much more to expect.
SPN Lifer and jb691809 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
My LAX-ORD scheduled to be operated by N772UA was canceled and replaced with a different flight number operated by an int'l config 772. Not complaining, as my upgrade has cleared. N772UA, however, is stuck at ORD since 9/29 - I wonder if it's the AD-mandated inspection or an unrelated MX issue.

The new flight has the same departure time as the original. Not sure why they didn't just do eqp swap and had to go through cancellation/rebooking.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by legalalien
My LAX-ORD scheduled to be operated by N772UA was canceled and replaced with a different flight number operated by an int'l config 772. Not complaining, as my upgrade has cleared. N772UA, however, is stuck at ORD since 9/29 - I wonder if it's the AD-mandated inspection or an unrelated MX issue.

The new flight has the same departure time as the original. Not sure why they didn't just do eqp swap and had to go through cancellation/rebooking.
Based on timing I suspect it's an unrelated MX issue (if it was an AD-mandated inspection that would have taken place a few weeks ago). Either way, congrats on your upgrade clearing!
legalalien likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.