IAD-Amsterdam in J -- UA vs. KLM?

Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

IAD-Amsterdam in J -- UA vs. KLM?

Have to do a roundtrip to Amsterdam this fall from IAD ... the nonstop choices are UA and KLM. Flight schedules and prices are very close. With respect to onboard experience alone in J (seats, meals, etc.) any reason to pick one over the other?

KLM may have an advantage with greater lounge access at Schiphol, but my time in the airport will hopefully be limited.

I now see that UA's flight last night (IAD-AMS, UA 946) was cancelled! Wonder what the backup was, presumably through LHR or FRA.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I mean, have you seen the Polaris meal thread? Would you voluntarily choose to fly an airline that serves that?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:17 am

It looks like KLM typically uses a330s with a 2-2-2 config on IAD-AMS. So the polaris seat is much much better.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by desafino
It looks like KLM typically uses a330s with a 2-2-2 config on IAD-AMS. So the polaris seat is much much better.
Do you know for sure UA uses the proper Polaris seat on this route? I can't find the flight in EF this week.

Assuming they do, it's a decision between good food and service on board (KLM) vs. good lounge and seat (UA.)
Artpen100 and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Lounge KLM > UA. (the UA contract lounge is so far away the lounge attendant joked that it was in Belgium)
Seat UA> KLM
Food UA = KLM. I found it a tie

Special consideration: When I flew UA from AMS-IAD this summer, I did not have to contend with the massive lines over at Skyteam and was able to get through check in and security very quickly. AMS might be in better shape now.

I found my UA flight very nice, great attendants, and great Polaris seats. Food was airline food. I value seat over food.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Lounge KLM > UA. (the UA contract lounge is so far away the lounge attendant joked that it was in Belgium)
Seat UA> KLM
Food UA = KLM. I found it a tie

Special consideration: When I flew UA from AMS-IAD this summer, I did not have to contend with the massive lines over at Skyteam and was able to get through check in and security very quickly. AMS might be in better shape now.

I found my UA flight very nice, great attendants, and great Polaris seats. Food was airline food. I value seat over food.
The OP is departing from IAD, where there is a Polaris Lounge, no? Isn't that better than whatever KL offers at IAD (crappy AF lounge?) KL food >>>> UA dog food, 100%.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:28 am

Is UA's IAD-AMS summer seasonal? I don't see it on GF for the fall now that I'm looking.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
The OP is departing from IAD, where there is a Polaris Lounge, no? Isn't that better than whatever KL offers at IAD (crappy AF lounge?) KL food >>>> UA dog food, 100%.
Definitely. I was thinking about the return flight (AMS-IAD).

Polaris lounge at IAD was wonderful and that would definitely tip the scales to UA for me.

I must have low standards, as I found the in flight food on UA adequate but not memorable.

Is UA's IAD-AMS summer seasonal? I don't see it on GF for the fall now that I'm looking.

I don't see it either. I guess that answers that.

Last edited by bitterproffit; Sep 11, 2022 at 8:36 am
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
I'd pick United just for the better seat on the IAD>AMS overnight. Getting better sleep on the TATL is more important to me than any food (especially when you can get decent food in the IAD Polaris Lounge beforehand and just maximize sleep overnight).
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:45 am

while UA keep selling it, they also keep cancelling the direct to AMS from IAD. I havent seen anything that brings improvement. I'm on my second trip with a 3 hour layover in EWR that was supposed to be a direct when booked. Not happy about it.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Saw an ad today saying it resumes 10/30/22
bitterproffit and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United often operates the 767-400 on the IAD-AMS route.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
United often operates the 767-400 on the IAD-AMS route.
Yuck👎
PACLipper likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:06 am

The UA IAD-AMS flight is indeed the 764, which does not yet have Polaris seating.

To the OP: The seats and food are better on KLM. The UA lounge is better in IAD, and the KLM lounge is better in AMS.
PACLipper and Artpen100 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:11 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

KLM has a much better soft product. Since there is no guarantee of what seat you will get, I would choose based on this.

Plus you get a cute little Dutch house to take home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.