Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does the UA P/E compare to LH P/E?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by timfountain
I've flown LH TATL >10 times. For me the deal breaker is the lack of air vents on LH, coupled with a cabin temperature that is mandated at 26C, according to the CC I spoke to when I complained how hot it was onboard. For me it was pure misery, no air and hotter than hell...The rest in terms of hard and soft product? I'd probably give the nod to UA, but I'm into LT mileage building and that means flying on UA metal on a 016 ticket....
Is this a new thing with the temperature? 79F is way too hot for sleeping. The last time I flew LH, it was in F, and it was definitely not that warm. I was in shorts and a T-shirt though, and didn't use the blanket, sleeping uncovered. This weird heat thing is the reason I no longer will fly TK anywhere. Their cabins are kept oppressively warm. UA is mostly pretty good about cabin temp.

You would think that LH wouldn't want to waste fuel overheating the cabin in order to reduce the carbon footprint of their flights.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:39 am
hch

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Is this a new thing with the temperature? 79F is way too hot for sleeping. The last time I flew LH, it was in F, and it was definitely not that warm. I was in shorts and a T-shirt though, and didn't use the blanket, sleeping uncovered. This weird heat thing is the reason I no longer will fly TK anywhere. Their cabins are kept oppressively warm. UA is mostly pretty good about cabin temp.
I think the FA made it up, or the OP misunderstood the FA. While long haul flights always seem to be too cold or to warm, I've never ever heard about a policy that sets an exact temperature, never mind one that is way too hot for humans to be comfortable indoors.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree - while I have heard stories of hot non-US cabins, all of my LH flights (mostly 747s upstairs) have been fine.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
Wouldn't both get EU protections? Destination is EU
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I learned yesterday that US airlines flying to an EU airport does not invoke any EC241 protection; only flying from an EU airport.

LH flights to and from EU airports would receive EU241 protection.
Correct non-EU/UK carriers are only covered by EU261/EC261 for flight departing from EU/UK. Arriving flights are not covered for non-EU/UK carriers.

For more see Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

And let's return to discussing LH vs UA Premium Economy
SPN Lifer and jcturnbull like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2022 at 10:48 am Reason: And let's return to discussing LH vs UA Premium Economy
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fumje
I think the PY seat on UA is a big advantage.
Correct. That said, every time I’ve purchased a LH long haul PE ticket, about a month or so out they have offered a very reasonable upcharge for moving to J, something I’ve never experienced on UA.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by halls120
Correct. That said, every time I’ve purchased a LH long haul PE ticket, about a month or so out they have offered a very reasonable upcharge for moving to J, something I’ve never experienced on UA.
What level of upcharge for LH? Does everyone have access to that?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:55 pm

I've had 300 for FRA-BOS this summer.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:32 am

I've found TATL LH cabins more often too warm than not, often enough that it can't be random chance. 26C sounds about right for what I recall, since that's about my threshold for feeling uncomfortable in my normal travel wear of long pants and long sleeves. LX cabins are usually just right. UA cabins are sometimes slightly cool.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Are you trying to get yearly or lifetime status on either carrier? I haven't flown LH premium economy but it appears pretty similar soft product-wise to UA and the seats seem similar. So few carriers fly the 748! I have not even flown an A380...
Not status chasing either way.

Originally Posted by UAL250
IFE is much better on UA than LH. LH service will probably be better (although not a guarantee). I'll let others chime in on the food aspect, but I'd assume LH >> UA on that. Really depends on what exactly you're looking for besides the seats because as mentioned they are very similar. Being able to fly on a 747 is a valid thing to consider IMO.
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
UA is much better in LH. LH serves Y food and charges for seat assignments.
Thanks for the tip about IFE and the general point that UA is preferred. I left out one piece of the story which is that I am connecting in FRA for onward travel to Asia. That second leg will be on an LH 747 no matter which first leg I select. Seems like I should book the UA 777 SFO-FRA and then I will have the chance to experience both.

As always I appreciate the help and expertise of this community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.