Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[ NEW UPDATE WITH POLL ] How many PP do you actually have - and when do they expire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: About How Many Unconfirmed PlusPoints do You Have circa Q3/Q4 2022 in Your MP Account
I never had any PlusPoints to begin with.
5.56%
All the PlusPoints I received I've been able to confirm for upgrades.
5.56%
I have less than 50 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
8.33%
I have at least 50 but less than 100 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
6.94%
I have at least 100 but less than 260 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
5.56%
I have at least 260 but less than 500 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
31.94%
I have at least 500 but less than 800 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
12.50%
I have at least 800 but less than 1,000 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
15.28%
I have at least 1,000 but less than 1,500 unconfirmed PlusPoints.
6.94%
I have more than 1,500 unconfirmed PlusPoints...how?
1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

[ NEW UPDATE WITH POLL ] How many PP do you actually have - and when do they expire?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Which begs the question, is there a monetizing opportunity for United? Would you pay to extend the life of expiring points by a year?
I would not pay to extend the life of PP which I have too many of and am pessimistic about clearing anyway, I would however "pay" to force inventory open (on a recent trip I would have gladly done 200pp per person, possibly more, to book a ticket with confirmed seats (as a bonus UA would have gotten a revenue booking out of me rather than using MP miles) or to use PP on a MP ticket, possibly even a cash copay for either scenerio... I have maybe 1-2 RT per year where I'd really like to use PP (otherwise I'm already booked up front or it's a short enough flight why bother) otherwise they're of nearly 0 value to me and in a way the growing balance is a little irritatingly mocking.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by johnsmith
I hope Ua sticks to expiring PP in July 2023, but it seems very odd that the next set (being earned now) will expire in jan 2024. My ~400 PP expiring in 7/23 have been in my account forever and then it would be a very short window to use the PP earned in 2022
i wonder if UA will move to a system where PP earned in a year will be good for 18 months instead of 12 months (ie, 2022 PPs good until 7/24)
PP earned are valid for 13 months PLUS any additional time between when they were awarded and December 31 of the same year.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by johnsmith
i wonder if UA will move to a system where PP earned in a year will be good for 18 months instead of 12 months (ie, 2022 PPs good until 7/24)
I think it is unlikely they would do that. The extensions were very much related to the pandemic which reared its head 3-4 months after PlusPoints were initially rolled out and reduced opportunities to use the PPs during the first 2 years of PlusPoints existing. So while it feels like they have been with you forever, they were never intended to be around this long when they developed the program, and is in part contributing to the difficulty in using them since there is such a glut of them available. I can basically guarantee when they came up with the idea of PlusPoints and began modeling the cost of them, the amount that would exist based on existing spend habits/planned changes to MP qualifications, and the ability/ease of use for upgrades/their willingness to release upgrade space, to decide how many to provide, when to expire them etc, it was considering the fact that qualifications would be higher and they would only exist to the end of a membership year. Extremely unlikely they planned for a pandemic and massive disruption to air travel.

Plus points (much like upgrade certs they replaced) were intended to expire at the end of the membership year they were earned during, which makes sense that the current ones being earned expire in Jan 2024 (end of 2023 membership year). If they keep making them last longer it is just going to drag out the amount of time a surplus exists and therefore drag out the amount of time it is hard to find anything available to use them towards. As it is, extending the points has already run into the scenario where you can no longer have status, but still have unexpired pluspoints to use.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
PP earned are valid for 13 months PLUS any additional time between when they were awarded and December 31 of the same year.

-RM
Had to think about this. Technically true, but convoluted way to say it, since they become valid the moment they are awarded. Easier to just say end of the membership year they were earned for.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Had to think about this. Technically true, but convoluted way to say it, since they become valid the moment they are awarded. Easier to just say end of the membership year they were earned for.
And I was replying to someone who wants to make PPs valid "for 18 months vs the 12 months they're valid for now". The point of my reply is that they are not valid for 12 months but definitely 13 months (at a minimum) with many more months possible depending on when they are earned. Saying they're valid until the end of the membership year is also true, of course. And possibly even an easier way to say it. But that's not what the OP I replied to was asking

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Which begs the question, is there a monetizing opportunity for United? Would you pay to extend the life of expiring points by a year?
lol no way

but I would accept a gift in kind. No, I won’t hold my breath

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.