Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
My guesses:

EWR or IAD to DXB on UA metal
SFO to DXB on UA metal
One of the India flights is axed shortly after
Mutual RDM earning/redeeming
Mutual lounge access
Mutual but very watered down elite benefits
Re bold, it may be SFO-BLR is pushed out indefinitely, due to the Russian invasion in Ukraine. But I really hope this doesn’t reduce UA flight options permanently . Especially at SFO. I just hope this offers more connection opportunities (and a chance to avoid LH to S Asia, Africa and Middle East permanently, LH is very mediocre)
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uanj
It will be very interesting to see what this partnership will be. Kirby and the team are smart, better negotiators than we have seen for a while at UA. Generally speaking EK has a lot more to gain than UA but Kirby knows that, so let's see what they come up with.

I expect UA will pick up a couple of services to DXB (IAD and EWR) and AMM will be a direct casualty of that.The biggest benefit for us (passengers) is more connectivity to places in the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East. Not so sure about Africa, I expect one day UA will fly directly to Cairo and ET covers East Africa very well.
If UA starts any service, it would have to be from EWR. EK already serves ORD and IAD (and others) so there's nothing real to be gained by UA in those existing EK markets.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
From memory, jetblue got most of the federal government contracts out of WAS to the Middle East. They could bid because they codeshared with EK and service was of course by EK. I wonder if these contracts are still in place or ar coming up and that gives UA more opportunity.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uanj
From memory, jetblue got most of the federal government contracts out of WAS to the Middle East. They could bid because they codeshared with EK and service was of course by EK. I wonder if these contracts are still in place or ar coming up and that gives UA more opportunity.
The GSA City Pair Program (CPP) awards contracts on a government fiscal year basis (October 1 - September 30). Contracts for Fiscal year '23, through September 30, 2023, were awarded a few months ago and B6 does hold that contract -- but there's always next year...and I believe that process will start again in a couple months. But if EK and B6 divorce mid contract that could make things interesting, particularly since I doubt B6 could make it with their own equipment.

(Edited to add: Note the N in the Awarded Service Column means "Nonstop" not "No"... every time I look at this is confuses me for a moment)
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The GSA City Pair Program (CPP) awards contracts on a government fiscal year basis (October 1 - September 30). Contracts for Fiscal year '23, through September 30, 2023, were awarded a few months ago and B6 does hold that contract -- but there's always next year...and I believe that process will start again in a couple months. But if EK and B6 divorce mid contract that could make things interesting, particularly since I doubt B6 could make it with their own equipment.
The B6/EK codeshares for US-DXB flights operated by EK actually end after 10/29/22 so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with the contract
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
No more B6 TrueBlue miles for flying on EK stating October 30, 2022. This is getting intense
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Originally Posted by mduell
My guesses:

EWR or IAD to DXB on UA metal
SFO to DXB on UA metal
One of the India flights is axed shortly after
Mutual RDM earning/redeeming
Mutual lounge access
Mutual but very watered down elite benefits
this feels directionally correct to me. Would expect the contours of partnership to be patterned on the QF- EK bilateral which is most of the above.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quick bump to page 1 - the announcement happens tomorrow the 14th

I haven’t seen any details leak on the blogs or otherwise. Any leads? Or just be old fashioned and wait?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:02 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm hoping for United Club access based on EK status so I can finally cancel my MileagePlus club visa card that I only make use of a handful of times per year.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
UA/Emirates Announcement

What time is the announcement today and is there a link to the press conference? Thx.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Quick bump to page 1 - the announcement happens tomorrow the 14th

I haven’t seen any details leak on the blogs or otherwise. Any leads? Or just be old fashioned and wait?
No leaks yet from bloggers. They probably have an embargo. The Instagram account says 12:30 CDT for an announcement. Expect the multiple blogs to have news at that time.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Daily EWR-DXB service starting in March 2023.

Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
The excitement is palpable at the IAD hangar today… less than an hour to go!

Last edited by unitedbusiness; Sep 14, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
already for sale on united.com
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CALMSP
already for sale on united.com
The seat map shows wide open seat selections, but no PZ, PN or IN spaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.