Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Xlr
Quite a few secondary points from Africa to South Asia are served by EK but not LH/TK.

Arguably having partnerships with AC and UA means they don't need to join *A but gain many of the benefits. Or perhaps they do plan to join *A? Time will tell.
It can't be a dramatic difference since TK claims (so I've read) they fly to more countries than any other airline.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:19 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It can't be a dramatic difference since TK claims (so I've read) they fly to more countries than any other airline.
Yes - TK does fly to more countries than any other passenger airline. Not more routes or destinations, but definitely more countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larges...s_in_the_world
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I still have an old UA timetable from 2000, which I took out of storage for use in a recent thread, so I scanned a couple more pages from it showing UA and EK's small codeshare agreement that amounted to only MP mileage accrual, and no mileage redemption on EK. UA codeshared only one EK route, DXB-LHR. This was just before EK's big A380 purchase that totally transformed it into a global carrier, so the partnership was likely lopsided with EK acting as a regional carrier feeding some traffic to UA. I don't know when this codeshare agreement ended, but I don't remember it ever getting significantly bigger, if at all.

Wow only three of those airlines still exist. This must be just before *A was launched.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
That was my first thought, and to a lesser extent, Alaska.

Yes, there's the usual disclaimer that airlines still do partner with carriers outside their alliances (DL owns half of VS, and they're JV partners, but VS is NOT in Skyteam for example). However, I have to think EK isn't going to look kindly at B6 cozying up to AA, which flows passengers onto EK's arch-nemesis through Doha. EK's JFK operation isn't going anywhere regardless.

Also I think Russia plays into UA's needs here more than a little bit. We are probably looking at no Russian overflights now extending years rather than months. What better way to get your passengers to the Indian subcontinent than with your new partner via their massive middle-east hub?
Yeah, AC has a lot of those codeshares without being an alliance sort of deals. Even UA has a couple, like with Are Lingus.

I agree Russia too. Don't know the current status of UAs India routes, and what's going and not. But they just delayed SFO-BLR again because Russia airspace is closed, and even though I'd never do it, AI is going to jump on this at somepoint, as they are flying over Russia, and presumably as Tata settles in more to the new ownership and can concentrate on more than fixing up the immediate AI needs.

Originally Posted by Sykes
Industry-rocking pandemics make for strange bedfellows.
For sure. The AC-EI partnership for sure as well. A few years ago, AC was vigorously pressuring the Canadian government to not allow EK (and the rest of the ME3) more access to the Canadian market (while AC didn't even fly to DXB at the time. Now, they are (or will be) partners. Never thought I'd see that either.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Jpm81
As a UK based 1k, I'm very excited by this. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
This Ireland-based 1K agrees!
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Do folks think that as part of this, some sort of UA metal flights to DXB will be resuming? Just looking at GCM, it seems like any of EWR/IAD/ORD-DXB would be doable without crossing Russian airspace.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xlr
I am fascinated to hear the details. Looks like there is a media event on the 14th:

[...]

I assume Guam is of limited interest but perhaps military/contractors flying between the Middle East and Guam could benefit from a codeshare via NRT. And tourists (plus some small number of business travelers) might appreciate a similar codeshare arrangement to get to Honolulu.
I am also interested to hear details... I don't really care about the codeshare per se but if it opens the door to mileage/status accrual... I may have an opportunity to be in that corner of the world later this year/early next and would vastly prefer not to repeat the FRA connection I did on my last DXB visit... but not to the point of leaving qualifying points, etc. on the table.

The potential problem with looking at military/contractor traffic to/from GUM is the Fly America Act comes into play and I've heard different travel administrators/grant funders take different stances regarding codeshares and compliance with FAA. It seems more often than not codeshares are OK as long as the US airline's code is used for the booking (e.g. a UA-coded EK-operated flight would typically be OK, but an EK-coded UA-operated flight would not generally be acceptable)
SPN Lifer and Xlr like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just flew EK in J from SFO-DXB-DEL. First time in EK J since 1998 (when I received an on-board upgrade from Y to J for because someone took pity on my crutches!). This was because of the LH strike knocking me out of LH F from SFO-FRA-DEL. If you discount the irritating knee/shin blocking seats that prevent an uninterrupted sleep, it was an altogether excellent experience. The completely empty A-gates lounge in DXB was a good experience, if a little spooky with barely a soul visible. I wouldn't choose this over LH J with the ability to plus-point into F, but would be a great serious option to have.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Emirates ended its partnership with Alaska a year ago. There used to be some pretty good redemption opportunities on EK with AS miles, but now that AS has joined oneworld, the collaboration is no more.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: United MP, Amtrak AGR
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Do folks think that as part of this, some sort of UA metal flights to DXB will be resuming? Just looking at GCM, it seems like any of EWR/IAD/ORD-DXB would be doable without crossing Russian airspace.
Of course EWR/ORD/IAD-DXB would be possible to fly without overflying Russia. Afterall UA already flies ORD/EWR-DEL daily without overflying Russia.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
It will be very interesting to see what this partnership will be. Kirby and the team are smart, better negotiators than we have seen for a while at UA. Generally speaking EK has a lot more to gain than UA but Kirby knows that, so let's see what they come up with.

I expect UA will pick up a couple of services to DXB (IAD and EWR) and AMM will be a direct casualty of that.The biggest benefit for us (passengers) is more connectivity to places in the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East. Not so sure about Africa, I expect one day UA will fly directly to Cairo and ET covers East Africa very well.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

The LH group would seem to be the biggest loser if UA flyers were motivated to take EK to the region.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by uanj
It will be very interesting to see what this partnership will be. Kirby and the team are smart, better negotiators than we have seen for a while at UA. Generally speaking EK has a lot more to gain than UA but Kirby knows that, so let's see what they come up with.

I expect UA will pick up a couple of services to DXB (IAD and EWR) and AMM will be a direct casualty of that.The biggest benefit for us (passengers) is more connectivity to places in the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East. Not so sure about Africa, I expect one day UA will fly directly to Cairo and ET covers East Africa very well.
If in fact UA starts two or more services to DXB, it will likely be EWR or IAD, and one of SFO/ORD/iAH. IAD and EWR are too close for those to be the services.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am very much looking forward to this announcement. I love flying Emirates and in fact have a trip planned for next year so have held off waiting for this announcement.

Hoping it will be a preferred carrier for non-016 PQP
Wx4caster likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
My guesses:

EWR or IAD to DXB on UA metal
SFO to DXB on UA metal
One of the India flights is axed shortly after
Mutual RDM earning/redeeming
Mutual lounge access
Mutual but very watered down elite benefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.