Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United + Emirates to Form Codeshare Agreement & UA resumes EWR-DXB March 2023

Old Sep 14, 22, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023


United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.



United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs Chicago, San Francisco and Houston will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Print Wikipost

United + Emirates to Form Codeshare Agreement & UA resumes EWR-DXB March 2023

Old Aug 30, 22, 2:48 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 484
I think this is largely targeted towards Africa and South Asia markets. Hoping we can earn PQP on EK flights. Would be a great option to get to India.
Return2flight and jmukerji like this.
smxflyer is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:07 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: UA GS 1M / EK Platinum / Bonvoy Titanium Elite / IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
I think this is largely targeted towards Africa and South Asia markets. Hoping we can earn PQP on EK flights. Would be a great option to get to India.
Yes to that! I've flown so much on EK this year it would be great if the announcement let's you retroactively decide which FF program to get "credit" I know wishful thinking, but a guy can dare to dream!
cubsko is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:45 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,814
Originally Posted by rt23456p View Post
Maybe monopolize like SIN-MUC and SIN-FRA? Aegean is also a member of *A so no resistance even if Aegean decide to join the party.
Aegean and Emirates entered a codeshare arrangement recently - Aegean and Emirates sign codeshare agreement
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:48 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Posts: 747
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Aegean and Emirates entered a codeshare arrangement recently - Aegean and Emirates sign codeshare agreement
What a perfect ingredient for monopoly! All parties are happy! Let the show begin!
rt23456p is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 3:54 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 17,840
Originally Posted by rt23456p View Post
What a perfect ingredient for monopoly! All parties are happy! Let the show begin!
Codeshare agreements offer extremely limited immunity against antitrust law. People are making this to be a much bigger deal than it is on its own.

If they join *A, that'll be a bigger deal in that you'll be able to get most of the things people seem to think the codeshare itself will provide (e.g., earning / redeeming UA miles on EK flights, earning PQP, etc.). If they don't join *A, don't expect any benefits beyond it being possible to find EK connections.

Codesharing is not a JV. UA codeshares with a lot of partners that aren't part of *A and don't result in any real benefit to the customer. (And even the ones that are within *A aren't necessarily a big deal -- the SQ codeshare agreement has done... nothing, really).

BTW, there's no particular reason to believe that EK J/F awards won't be available if they do join *A. They're readily available to Alaska MileagePlan members.
SPN Lifer, irishguy28 and m.y like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 30, 22 at 5:37 pm Reason: removed duplicated text
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 4:10 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,814
Originally Posted by rt23456p View Post
What a perfect ingredient for monopoly!
Are they going to force Delta and American off the ATH-JFK route?

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
BTW, there's no particular reason to believe that EK J/F awards won't be available if they do join *A. They're readily available to Alaska MileagePlan members.
Mileage Plus probably brings far more members than MileagePlan did; they may worry that this will overly cannibalise premium seat availability for their own elites.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 22, 4:21 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Codeshare agreements offer extremely limited immunity against antitrust law. People are making this to be a much bigger deal than it is on its own.

If they join *A, that'll be a bigger deal in that you'll be able to get most of the things people seem to think the codeshare itself will provide (e.g., earning / redeeming UA miles on EK flights, earning PQP, etc.). If they don't join *A, don't expect any benefits beyond it being possible to find EK connections.

Codesharing is not a JV. UA codeshares with a lot of partners that aren't part of *A and don't result in any real benefit to the customer. (And even the ones that are within *A aren't necessarily a big deal -- the SQ codeshare agreement has done... nothing, really).



If they join *A, that'll be a bigger deal in that you'll be able to get most of the things people seem to think the codeshare itself will provide (e.g., earning / redeeming UA miles on EK flights, earning PQP, etc.). If they don't join *A, don't expect any benefits beyond it being possible to find EK connections.

Codesharing is not a JV. UA codeshares with a lot of partners that aren't part of *A and don't result in any real benefit to the customer. (And even the ones that are within *A aren't necessarily a big deal -- the SQ codeshare agreement has done... nothing, really).

BTW, there's no particular reason to believe that EK J/F awards won't be available if they do join *A. They're readily available to Alaska MileagePlan members.
I'd bet there will be some benefits beyond a codeshare. The recent codeshare with Virgin Australia includes PQP and other elite benefits. Doubt they'd schedule a press announcement for just a codeshare.
EWRSNA likes this.
smxflyer is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 4:25 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 17,840
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
I'd bet there will be some benefits beyond a codeshare. The recent codeshare with Virgin Australia includes PQP and other elite benefits. Doubt they'd schedule a press announcement for just a codeshare.
That's a fair point -- it'd definitely be overkill for a simple codeshare. But until they actually announce something...
jsloan is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 4:39 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 563
Time for an award trip to the Seychelles to see a huge tourtious!
steveo is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 5:59 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 30,798
Finally an option to redeem miles on EK without YQ. I got so tired waiting for B6 to allow redemptions. More one-stop options to India.
ual744777sta and jmukerji like this.
UA Fan is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:02 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PIT
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Posts: 9,035
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's a fair point -- it'd definitely be overkill for a simple codeshare. But until they actually announce something...
The recent AC/EK announcement also included things like elite benefits and the like, although the details have not been announced. It really does seem like EK is inching towards *A
dinoscool3 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:05 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado (anywhere between DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Posts: 2,886
I know this is such a pipe-dream, but it would be wonderful if DEN gets a DXB link via UA or EK. All the mainland UA hubs have EK operation except for DEN. It'd be great even if an EK flight to any of the other cities would continue on to/from DEN.
Xlr likes this.
Nayef is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:05 pm
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 30,798
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
The recent AC/EK announcement also included things like elite benefits and the like, although the details have not been announced. It really does seem like EK is inching towards *A
If they make a partnership with LH or SQ, then I might see that. EK has been very anti-alliance so finding this tough to believe. If EK becomes part of Star, that leaves EY alone among the ME3 out of an alliance,
UA Fan is offline  
Old Aug 30, 22, 6:21 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
I know this is such a pipe-dream, but it would be wonderful if DEN gets a DXB link via UA or EK. All the mainland UA hubs have EK operation except for DEN. It'd be great even if an EK flight to any of the other cities would continue on to/from DEN.
There was a rumor TK was going to launch flights between DEN and IST. DXB would be somewhat similar, but market is probably too small for both routes.
bjdj94 is online now  
Old Aug 30, 22, 7:10 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado (anywhere between DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Posts: 2,886
Originally Posted by bjdj94 View Post
There was a rumor TK was going to launch flights between DEN and IST. DXB would be somewhat similar, but market is probably too small for both routes.
TK did formally announce DEN and DTW last year but there was no action on them. Recently, though, the TK outlook claimed they've recovered fairly well economically and DEN and DTW are still en route to being launched. No telling when but estimations are late 2022.

Wouldn't be as convenient for me or my family's routine travels, though. Don't know how it would be needing to connect in the behemoth that is IST. But for DXB from BAH, that would only be a one-hour journey and it would be great if there's a DXB-DEN link either through UA or DXB nonstop. Can't speak for connecting at DXB, though I've heard it has its own issues.
Nayef is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread