Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
That was exactly what I said earlier. EK wins big for this deal. UA does not need the connection traffic in US from EK.
Being the preferred carrier to handle EK premium traffic within the US is definitely valuable to United.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: UA
Not necessarily passenger facing, but UA and EK's cargo divisions have signed a MoU: Emirates SkyCargo and United Cargo announce landmark agreement
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by angetenar
Not necessarily passenger facing, but UA and EK's cargo divisions have signed a MoU: Emirates SkyCargo and United Cargo announce landmark agreement
However, air cargo is a crucial element an airline's financial. During the past few years, UA was able to run some flights solely due to the cargo revenues.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:20 pm

EWR-DXB business class award ticket

First, forgive as I am very new to trying to use miles to book award flights so I am sure to not use the right acronyms or lingo! I started travel hacking right before the pandemic hit and now I'd like to actually start using my hard earned miles! We'd like to take a trip to Dubai and with this latest announcement (and ewr being my home airport), I started to price out how many miles it would be for a business class award ticket in April. I'm seeing 360k miles for one round trip award ticket! Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just not the most affordable way to book this trip? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kfin
First, forgive as I am very new to trying to use miles to book award flights so I am sure to not use the right acronyms or lingo! I started travel hacking right before the pandemic hit and now I'd like to actually start using my hard earned miles! We'd like to take a trip to Dubai and with this latest announcement (and ewr being my home airport), I started to price out how many miles it would be for a business class award ticket in April. I'm seeing 360k miles for one round trip award ticket! Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just not the most affordable way to book this trip? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

No, you’re not doing anything wrong. Your expectations are just out of line with United’s reality. 180K each way sounds about normal for that flight; not particularly high, but also not a particularly good deal. If the seats don’t sell very well, UA may lower the number of miles required; if they sell quite well, they’ll increase it instead.

Partner awards often offer a better price, but they’re severely capacity limited… and you’re going to have to connect somewhere.

Awards that are available at the 180K price point are only available through United; the only other way to book that seat would be to pay cash for it.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kfin
Just my 2 cents - earning miles with one program corners you into whatever that program offers you. In my opinion, credit card points are a better way for award redemption, which opens to multiple programs via transfers.

The name of the game with international business class award seats - be flexible. You needing to travel to a specific destination on a carrier returning for the first time in a long time limit a lot of options.

Not long ago, 60K miles one-way INTL business class seat is the standard, but that has mostly disappeared. ​​​​​​Miles are depreciating assets, some more than others. I know one other US airline (not UA, of course) still has a good award program, but even that one has been devalued a bit.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, I saw this large ad at EWR the ther day...

Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Just my 2 cents - earning miles with one program corners you into whatever that program offers you. In my opinion, credit card points are a better way for award redemption, which opens to multiple programs via transfers.

The name of the game with international business class award seats - be flexible. You needing to travel to a specific destination on a carrier returning for the first time in a long time limit a lot of options.

Not long ago, 60K miles one-way INTL business class seat is the standard, but that has mostly disappeared. ​​​​​​Miles are depreciating assets, some more than others. I know one other US airline (not UA, of course) still has a good award program, but even that one has been devalued a bit.

​​​​​​
I'm sorry, let me clarify. Most of my points are from chase, citi, and capital! So I am open to almost any airline as long as it leaves out of the tri state area. There are 3 of us which complicates things a bit since I need to find 3 award tickets and also why I don't want to spend 360k on one ticket because I would need over a million points for one trip! I was hoping with this latest partnership, UA would be the way to go but I was way off lol. So now I will have to look at Emirates, Cathay, etc to see the most affordable way to do this. Any tips or guidance on the best airline for this trip would be awesome. Thank you all!
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:20 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Inaugural Flight to Dubai from Newark

Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but does anyone know what date the inaugural flight to Dubai from Newark is? I have heard several dates and I am not sure which is correct. I know this would be a good place to get a correct answer.
Thank you in advance for any help

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2022 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mav
Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but does anyone know what date the inaugural flight to Dubai from Newark is? I have heard several dates and I am not sure which is correct. I know this would be a good place to get a correct answer.
Thank you in advance for any help
First date I see for sale is 25 March 2023.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
First date I see for sale is 25 March 2023.
Mar 25 is the date, however no J class for sale at this time, tho only 10 seats showing taken on the seat map.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From the wiki

UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
the return flight kinda sucks, would have rather see that around 23:30 with an earlier arrival into EWR much like TLV/India.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by CALMSP
the return flight kinda sucks, would have rather see that around 23:30 with an earlier arrival into EWR much like TLV/India.
That would make it hard to use the inbound plane for the return. And the CBP may not be game for another large flight arrival as they are opening.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 7:29 am

Can we earn Mileage Plus miles on Emirates *today*?

Good morning/afternoon/evening all
Heard about the Emirates code share. Could not find a straight answer to the question of the current situation.

If I fly "Emirates" from US to DXB today or in the next few weeks, will I be able collect MileagePlus miles?

Happy holidays,
KFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.