Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

United insisted we fly to our connection city but our final destination was closed

United insisted we fly to our connection city but our final destination was closed

Old Aug 23, 22, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could the OP have had a broken fare (booked as multicity)? It seems unlikely for this route, but perhaps an OLTA did it to make the ticket slightly cheaper......or perhaps a package tour operator booked it this way, implicitly with IAH as a stopover even though the time between flights was within the range of being a connection. With different fare components, I would assume that the weather waiver only applies to a portion of the ticket, although you would be able to cancel or rebook an entire itinerary before travel has begun if one of the destinations or connection points has a weather waiver.
Old Aug 23, 22, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Could the OP have had a broken fare (booked as multicity)? It seems unlikely for this route, but perhaps an OLTA did it to make the ticket slightly cheaper......or perhaps a package tour operator booked it this way, implicitly with IAH as a stopover even though the time between flights was within the range of being a connection. With different fare components, I would assume that the weather waiver only applies to a portion of the ticket, although you would be able to cancel or rebook an entire itinerary before travel has begun if one of the destinations or connection points has a weather waiver.
Even if it were a broken fare, it wouldn't matter. The rules go out the window when there's bad weather. Agents are empowered to do anything that makes sense, regardless of what's in the actual ticket, provided it's within policy (e.g., it can be difficult / impossible to get routed OAL due to weather). UA would not have insisted "HOU is a ticketed point, and you have to fly there" unless the OP had a legitimate, intentional stopover there.
Old Aug 23, 22, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Let's have a clarification here: "United" didn't force OP to do anything. An agent at an unidentified airport in Mexico said something which OP construed as "we will cancel your tickets if you don't fly to IAH today." It's quite likely that the agent was not even a UA employee, and almost certain that OP misunderstand what the agent actually said.
physioprof likes this.
Old Aug 23, 22, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the OP has added additional details.

Originally Posted by Narrow Seat View Post
There was no access to the United App and we were only talking to the Mexican United Staff. The weather waiver only applied to people flying to the east coast cities, my flight was to Houston. (My final decision was to IAD)
You were misinformed. Weather waivers include anyone traveling to or through an affected city, regardless of the route. Your flight would absolutely have been eligible, even though you had a connection on the way, unless it was a planned stopover ( > 24 hours). And even then, I bet a phone agent would have helped you out.

You also mention the United app not being available. If I didn't have a local SIM card, or data access, the first thing I would have done would have been to find WiFi so that I could use the app. That said, you did have an advantage of being able to contact the local United Airlines telephone agents (United has local phone numbers in many countries, including Mexico). I imagine the no-status hold time would have been several hours during that particular storm, but on the Mexico number, you may have gotten straight through.

Here is a thread, with 450+ posts, specifically about the storm in question and people's experiences with it: Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016 . This is a bit of a time capsule, showing what various passengers were seeing as the event was ongoing.
aquanine and TXJeepGuy like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 23, 22 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 23, 22, 11:49 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Even if it were a broken fare, it wouldn't matter. The rules go out the window when there's bad weather. Agents are empowered to do anything that makes sense, regardless of what's in the actual ticket, provided it's within policy (e.g., it can be difficult / impossible to get routed OAL due to weather). UA would not have insisted "HOU is a ticketed point, and you have to fly there" unless the OP had a legitimate, intentional stopover there.
Is this correct? I thought one of the disadvantages of having broken fares was that if there are delays or cancellations on the final leg(s) of the journey that you may still have to fly the first leg(s) or risk penalty?
Old Aug 23, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

Here is a thread, with 450+ posts, specifically about the storm in question and people's experiences with it: Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016 . This is a bit of a time capsule, showing what various passengers were seeing as the event was ongoing.
Time capsule indeed... reminded me I was in Cancun when that all happened for a work reward trip, and my east coast colleagues all had to deal with that getting home. Most just booked a hotel in Cancun for a few more days.
Old Aug 23, 22, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
Is this correct? I thought one of the disadvantages of having broken fares was that if there are delays or cancellations on the final leg(s) of the journey that you may still have to fly the first leg(s) or risk penalty?
Many / most people who have broken fares don't even realize it, as the system will sell them without any warning or any way for the non-expert passenger to know. I am 100% confident that the mere presence of a fare break does not, in and of itself, change anything about your recovery options.

Now, flying on separate tickets is a totally different thing. If your flights are not ticketed together, then recovery will be YMMV. UA can help out but they're not obligated to. But a broken fare is just a pricing construct, and while it does technically add a new ticketed point, and an airline could make the claim that they'd created a 45-minute "stopover" and therefore needed to fly to that city, I've never heard of that happening to anyone.

Basically, UA is not going out of their way to trap somebody with an arcane bait and switch.
SPN Lifer and ani90 like this.
Old Aug 23, 22, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
I wonder if the ticket might have been purchased on an OTA. Before I stopped using them, I found the airlines could be difficult about changing those. Though I think that was mostly when they were on two different *A carriers.
Old Aug 23, 22, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
I would've taken the flight and then when I got to IAH, demand UA put me up in a hotel until the next available flight out IAH for Washington (either Dulles or the co-terminal National airport).

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 23, 22, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88 View Post
I would've taken the flight and then when I got to IAH, demand UA put me up in a hotel until the next available flight out IAH for Washington (either Dulles or the co-terminal National airport).

-RooFlyer88
I hope you'd have bought popcorn for the spectators first.

The idea that you would be able to "demand" anything from UA is... out of touch with reality.
SPN Lifer, COSPILOT, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 22, 4:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88 View Post
I would've taken the flight and then when I got to IAH, demand UA put me up in a hotel until the next available flight out IAH for Washington (either Dulles or the co-terminal National airport). ....
UA (or does AA/DL/WN.....) does not provide lodging for non-elites on weather cause trip interruptions
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread