Departure board status: early

Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Departure board status: early

Sitting in iad c17 club staring at the board. For the istanbul flight, noticed the remarks say it will depart early. Is this a thing?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
Sitting in iad c17 club staring at the board. For the istanbul flight, noticed the remarks say it will depart early. Is this a thing?
UA doesn't fly to Istanbul; that's a Turkish Airlines flight. Either there was a schedule change that UA is interpreting as an early departure, or United is reading from a system that's showing an early estimated pushback.

Early departures are quite common -- they're just not usually announced. But if you check the flight status after departure, you may find a 5 PM scheduled departure that pushed back at 4:55 PM because everyone was boarded and the paperwork was ready promptly.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA doesn't fly to Istanbul; that's a Turkish Airlines flight. Either there was a schedule change that UA is interpreting as an early departure, or United is reading from a system that's showing an early estimated pushback.

Early departures are quite common -- they're just not usually announced. But if you check the flight status after departure, you may find a 5 PM scheduled departure that pushed back at 4:55 PM because everyone was boarded and the paperwork was ready promptly.
While good advice as always....the 4:55pm departure is showing at 11:35am. So hopefully the plane has not pushed back yet :-D

Sometimes early departures are due to weather and congestion factors and the airline will try to get the plane out early to avoid such things. I don't normally see UA do this but I do see DL do this all the time with their international departures with the boards showing a new estimated departure 5-15 minutes earlier than scheduled departure. The general feeling on the DL board (outside of weather or congestion) is DL does this to get everyone to get the gate for a super full flight as they know boarding will take longer than normal. Of course it doesn't help those with connections who originally booked a legal connection but might be in the air on the first leg to find their 35 minute connection is now scheduled for 20.

-RM
jsloan and beachmouse like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I didn't know that UA flight status boards had that word programmed in the system....
dorisrpas, LimeySD, narvik and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think this is something going on with Turkish on that flight, they're "estimating" blocking out 10 min early every day, but of course actual block outs are 8-50 min late.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
How about this one? (my flight to JFK).

We did leave 20 minutes early...gate agent said it was due to ATC and longer routing...

"Boarding doors closing" announcement made at 2215 for scheduled 2240 departure. I have a feeling we would not have left if everyone had actually not boarded.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Very common on Delta flights.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Had plenty of early departure, rarely see it on the board

I've seen it in IAD for a UA flight about 3-4 months ago where it was showing the remarks as "Early" "Crew Connection" and the ETD was 20 minutes after the scheduled time so I'm not sure what was going on with that one..
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

"Boarding doors closing" announcement made at 2215 for scheduled 2240 departure. I have a feeling we would not have left if everyone had actually not boarded.
It must be about four or five years ago now and I must have been traveling internationally as I had been in the United Club at SAN. I was walking from the Club to the gate to hear my name being paged. It was at least 20 minutes before the departure time. I hurry to the gate somewhat confused to be told they were closing the doors and about to leave without me. I questioned if I was late (rechecked my Boarding Pass), no they just wanted to leave early. I asked why they had not contacted the lounge vs making the decision to leave without me. Response was 🤷‍♂️ as they had been paging me in the terminal. You do not hear terminal announcements inside the SAN UC lounge. Anyway the door was closed straight behind me as l made my way to my seat in 1A.

Ever since then I ensure I am at the gate before boarding begins - part of the gatelice herd. United trained this behavior in me.
SPN Lifer, MatthewLAX and wpcoe like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:14 pm

Flights leaving HKG always had a handwritten time of 10 minutes before the STD. I assumed it was for the Gate 60s area, LAG check, and the 744.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Very common on Delta flights.
It might be a holdover from NW days of long ago. I think every NW flight from one hub to another had a posted departure time that was 5 or so minutes earlier than scheduled. I even asked an airline rep (gate agent maybe?) what's up with that and the reply was "hub flights always leave early".
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
this is a new motivational technique to get pax to their gate on time (or early) 😀
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
We did leave 20 minutes early...gate agent said it was due to ATC and longer routing...

Did you get some sort of notification in advance of the early departure? Like a few hours in advance?

I dont always leave a lot of cushion on getting to the airport, so Id be more than a little annoyed if I was on my way to the airport and found out that my flight was leaving 20 min earlier.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econ
Did you get some sort of notification in advance of the early departure? Like a few hours in advance?

I dont always leave a lot of cushion on getting to the airport, so Id be more than a little annoyed if I was on my way to the airport and found out that my flight was leaving 20 min earlier.
No, only about an hour in advance.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Have this happen a few times a year. Usually Delta though. And usually trying to beat incoming weather.

What it means in reality is: get off the gate 5-10 minutes early, get just to #1 for takeoff, then the storm comes through and we wait 30+ minutes sitting on the plane vs. being able to sit in the club a bit longer

(Seriously, that is how it plays out 90% of the time)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.