Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is Cod Sashimi? UA's inflight entree

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Cod Sashimi? UA's inflight entree

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes, when given a choice of steak or fish, always choose the lasagna.
Out of FRA UA offered a deli platter that I liked and out LHR the traditional breakfast was my go to.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I had not seen the photo before, thank you for posting - in which case this is just baked cod with tomato sauce, so whoever decided to call it sashimi really needs some time off to spend in wikipedia. It's just ridiculous.
I believe a post from FA also confirmed above that the fish gets ovened and is served fully cooked. The name is quite mystifying indeed.

Originally Posted by drewguy
I've moved on to puzzling over red cheddar cheese.
Perhaps red Leicester? Somewhat commonly called red Cheddar.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumje

Perhaps red Leicester? Somewhat commonly called red Cheddar.
Or gouda with the wax left on before cooking.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I believe a post from FA also confirmed above that the fish gets ovened and is served fully cooked.
I'm a tad skeptical about that - fully cooked. The food is fully cooked in kitchens and the ovens are meant to warm the food - and quickly. For instance, you would not put raw chicken in those ovens with a result of a fully cooked chicken. If it is truly fully cooked before going in the oven - then whoever named it Sashimi should be fired.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...then whoever named it Sashimi should be fired.
I'm thinking UA's in-flight menu designers and contractors all ought to be fired right now. Picking on one person in UA's herd of incompetence/indifference seems trite
bocastephen and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Or gouda with the wax left on before cooking.
A previous Polaris experience?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm thinking UA's in-flight menu designers and contractors all ought to be fired right now. Picking on one person in UA's herd of incompetence/indifference seems trite
Everything with Polaris just screams "oh, whatever" right now - crooked photocopied menus, haphazard plating, dissociative identity disorder service that varies by flight and route, and menu descriptions that defy logic as if a dime-store MBA consultant was brought in to dream up nonsense names and descriptions for menu items - like baked fish described as sashimi

I used to make fun of BR for some of their sauce names, but this sashimi business is really jumping the shark.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:07 pm

Calling it Cod Sashimi is classic misdirection. Everyone is discussing if it meets the definition of sashimi. Yet, no one is discussing if it is actually cod. With recent studies showing that between 30-50% of all fish in restaurants or markets being mislabeled (either fraudulently or carelessly) I wonder if it is actually cod or a less expensive white fish.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
UA Sashimi is the airborne equivalent of gas station sushi.
When I'm in western Japan visiting family we often stop at a gas station on the way home to Nagato from the Ube airport -- and OMG -- the sushi and sashimi they have still brings a tear to my eye - it was caught the night / morning before -- prepared and distributed and if not consumer that day -- thrown out.... Compare that to the 24/7 Duane Reade sushi across the street from our home in FiDi -- that was one and one after a visit to the porcelain alter.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by arles
Calling it Cod Sashimi is classic misdirection. Everyone is discussing if it meets the definition of sashimi. Yet, no one is discussing if it is actually cod. With recent studies showing that between 30-50% of all fish in restaurants or markets being mislabeled (either fraudulently or carelessly) I wonder if it is actually cod or a less expensive white fish.
Are you volunteering to order it and save a sample to send to a lab for testing?
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
Cod sashimi with arriabata sauce?

Someone should go to prison for this.
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well to be technical -- since you asked -- sushi is actually a very particular type of rice served by hand at a particular (body) temperature -- with fish on top -- sashimi has always been raw fish - regardless of presentation.... And if you wrap something in dried seaweed (nori) -- which in Japan is last course before soup -- that's not sushi -- it's probably sushi to westerners - but it's maki to Japanese - lol - but never called sushi -- but we're debating nuance lol to most westerners....
I just learned something new. I pretty much call anything wrapped as sushi. I didn't realize I'd been embarrassing myself in Japan all this time.
ContinentalFan and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just learned something new. I pretty much call anything wrapped as sushi. I didn't realize I'd been embarrassing myself in Japan all this time.
Actually you weren't -- any Westerner that will eat what is served to them in Japan and enjoys it will be respected -- they don't care at all what you call it -- in fact it's a common thing in Japan that when a westerner will show up at chef's table they will test you -- to see what you can handle.... When I walk in to a new place with my wife the chef's usually take it as a challenge -- but it quickly changes.... I still don't like Sea Cucumber -- but I choke it down without a second thought and they are amazed.... Uni is usually the one that gets me the most respect -- when I ask for a particular type...
SPN Lifer, lsquare, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
When I'm in western Japan visiting family we often stop at a gas station on the way home to Nagato from the Ube airport -- and OMG -- the sushi and sashimi they have still brings a tear to my eye - it was caught the night / morning before -- prepared and distributed and if not consumer that day -- thrown out.... Compare that to the 24/7 Duane Reade sushi across the street from our home in FiDi -- that was one and one after a visit to the porcelain alter.
I would also include the downtown Lawsons and 7/11, especially by Shinagawa Station — can’t beat it for a late night snack.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Imstevek
I would also include the downtown Lawsons and 7/11, especially by Shinagawa Station — can’t beat it for a late night snack.
Hmmh - late night in Shinagawa (where we used to live) you will find my wife and I slamming bowls of Ramen -- to get our second wind -- even at our old age lol.... The Ramen in Japan at midnight is life changing....
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Actually you weren't -- any Westerner that will eat what is served to them in Japan and enjoys it will be respected -- they don't care at all what you call it -- in fact it's a common thing in Japan that when a westerner will show up at chef's table they will test you -- to see what you can handle.... When I walk in to a new place with my wife the chef's usually take it as a challenge -- but it quickly changes.... I still don't like Sea Cucumber -- but I choke it down without a second thought and they are amazed.... Uni is usually the one that gets me the most respect -- when I ask for a particular type...
I'm actually not a very picky eater. At one point in my life, I use to backpack around Asia and Australia and stayed in hostels. As for sea cucumbers, you don't like it, what?!?

Originally Posted by Imstevek
7/11s in Japan are amazing and put whatever convenience stores in the US to shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.