Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Example Polaris Menus on Flights TO Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Example Polaris Menus on Flights TO Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
I was woken up on TAP Portugal once only 4 minutes before landing in Lisbon after a redeye (in business class). And on an AA flight from LAX to Miami... it was the thump of the plane touching down that woke me up!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Hi all, I was wondering if United makes a special effort to serve Japanese mains or other menu items on their flights TO Japan. I don't suppose they load any extra Sakes or Tea drinks? If they do make any of these special efforts, might it be wise of me (as a non-status member) to sit further ahead in the cabin before they run out? Thanks in advance!
On August 5th I was on ORD -> Haneda, full polaris suite and can confirm that there was absolutely no Japanese food items on the menu. Nothing.
To be honest I should have expected that because during the years before covid the United flight of the codeshare with ANA always had the least Japanese patrons. So post covid (or still in covid if you are Japanese at this time), I should have expected United not to bother.

I should also note that the polaris amenities was not up to what United gave on this flight pre-covid. They used to give slippers, pajamas, saks5th blankets, pillows, as well as a toiletry bag.
This last flight all I received was a toiletry bag with socks stuffed in.

The polaris menu ORD->HND

The beef. United only had Stella and Michelob on the flight.

The toiletry bag.. meh
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
On August 5th I was on ORD -> Haneda, full polaris suite and can confirm that there was absolutely no Japanese food items on the menu. Nothing.
To be honest I should have expected that because during the years before covid the United flight of the codeshare with ANA always had the least Japanese patrons. So post covid (or still in covid if you are Japanese at this time), I should have expected United not to bother.

I should also note that the polaris amenities was not up to what United gave on this flight pre-covid. They used to give slippers, pajamas, saks5th blankets, pillows, as well as a toiletry bag.
This last flight all I received was a toiletry bag with socks stuffed in.

The polaris menu ORD->HND

The beef. United only had Stella and Michelob on the flight.

The toiletry bag.. meh
That's pathetic. It's not as if the UA flights to HAN are any cheaper than ANA.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hi all, I was wondering if United makes a special effort to serve Japanese mains or other menu items on their flights TO Japan. I don't suppose they load any extra Sakes or Tea drinks? If they do make any of these special efforts, might it be wise of me (as a non-status member) to sit further ahead in the cabin before they run out? Thanks in advance!
As you can probably tell, you're much better off flying ANA for a very long list of reasons, unless you need United operated BIS miles, which is about the only reason to fly United to Japan, or even to Taiwan given the BR offerings.

The Japanese meals are a relic of the past, and even back then, you had to order in advance, and then make sure the FA knew about your order and hope it wasn't taken by a temper-tantrum throwing GS member.

The ANA coach meal is now eons better than the UA Polaris meal.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
It's not as if the UA flights to HAN are any cheaper than ANA.
To Haneda either
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
To Haneda either

A poem:

Hanoi
Haneda
wherever
ANA is better
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Eat in the lounge or fly another airline. You won't get anything Japanese or even remotely edible in Polaris. I don't think a stray dog would eat the food United serves.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Aight y'all are convincing me to do both breakfast and an early lunch in the Polaris lounge ahead of my flight...

Don't suppose the Polaris Lounge restaurant offers takeout? Or should I also get a Tortas Frontera sandwich for the midflight snack?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Aight y'all are convincing me to do both breakfast and an early lunch in the Polaris lounge ahead of my flight...

Don't suppose the Polaris Lounge restaurant offers takeout? Or should I also get a Tortas Frontera sandwich for the midflight snack?
Unfortunately they do not do takeout. But it is pretty easy to load your stomach up at the Polaris buffet anyway.
I really don't know why United's food is so mediocre, part of it might be with Sky Chefs and part of it might be money. I think it is a little bit of both.
The champagne was good
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Basically, what UA is doing is taking the pre-pandemic domestic F meals and serving them in Polaris. Since the former domestic F meals are the new Polaris meals, UA has to design downwards from this to create the current F meals - after all, passengers need to see that the Polaris meals are "better".
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

No, I think we're trying to convince you to switch your flight to ANA
icemaker, wrp96, Dyce and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Ah funny story there... I'm on this flight because ANA cancelled their O'Hare to Haneda flight that I had originally booked. Border not open to tourists, etc...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, I think we're trying to convince you to switch your flight to ANA
Personally, when we're talking a 12-13 hour flight, the in air experience IS very much a part of the overall trip experience.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ah funny story there... I'm on this flight because ANA cancelled their O'Hare to Haneda flight that I had originally booked. Border not open to tourists, etc...
But ANA is still flying ORD-NRT daily...is that an option?
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

No, because I have a Haneda transfer so I’m confined to that airport
jcturnbull likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.