Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking ZRH-SFO-PHX; SFO-ZRH on United.com on LX - cannot book seats

Booking ZRH-SFO-PHX; SFO-ZRH on United.com on LX - cannot book seats

Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Question Booking ZRH-SFO-PHX; SFO-ZRH on United.com on LX - cannot book seats

Hi all
I am booking a flight in Dec SFO-PHX; SFO-ZRH on United.com for a family of 4 (two adults, one kid, one lap infant). Actual metal will be LX as the UA flight is seasonal. I am booking Ecoonomy so I can ensure I can 1) book seats and 2) check in a bag. When I get to the second step of the booking process I see this error:

This flight is operated by a partner airline

Seat selection and changes are not available for this flight at this time. You'll be assigned a seat prior to boarding. For additional information, visit the operating airline's website.

Ensuring I get a proper seat is essential hence the concern. I will anyway be calling LX later to book the bassinet, or at least attempt to. Based on this, how do I then get the seats booked? is it even worth booking Economy? Should I just go with Basic Eco? Dates are firm anyway and even if I pay for the extra luggages, there is still a $ difference of about $300 so wondering if it's simple savings I can take advantage of. I'm not bothered by the miles or anything else.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For LX operated flights you have to talk to LX. LX does not provide free economy seat assignment. And may not on codeshares

BasicEcon brings a number of additional restrictions -- change fees, check bag fees for non-elites, last boarding group for non-elites....
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For LX operated flights you have to talk to LZ. LX does not provide free economy seat assignment. And may not on codeshares

BasicEcon brings a number of additional restrictions -- change fees, check bag fees for non-elites, ....
LX does indeed not allow free seat selection pre-check in on codeshare flights. If it's booked as an LX flight (LX flight number, not UA flight number but operated by LX, for OP), you might be able to pick seats on the LX website.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
.... If it's booked as an LX flight (LX flight number, not UA flight number but operated by LX, for OP), you might be able to pick seats on the LX website.
For economy advance seat assignments, there is a fee.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Then what then is the benefit of Eco vs Basic Eco?

From a price perspective, total Eco is $2,700; basic eco is $2,200. Could save $500. If my dates are fixed and don't need prio boarding (traveling with a baby anyway), still trying to figure out if paying the extra for regular Eco makes sense.

Just thought of the bag fees tho - had in my mind it was $200, actually it's $400 (1 bag each adult (2) x outbound and inbound)

So actually not that big of a difference. I still, however, need to get the seats - hopefully bulkhead/bassinet.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Thanks for the responses. Then what then is the benefit of Eco vs Basic Eco?
For reference, many european carriers are this way about advanced seat assignments (for a fee). Advantage over basic economy - you still get a checked bag included, and it would count towards PQF if chasing status.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you travel with an infant ... and you need bassinet seats ... that will be free with Swiss. However, you have already asked this question at least twice: ZRH-SFO Return on LX or UA - Bassinet Question & Family of 4 reserving Bulk Head seats?

I am not sure why you are expecting different answers when you ask it again in different forums.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
if you travel with an infant ... and you need bassinet seats ... that will be free with Swiss. However, you have already asked this question at least twice: ZRH-SFO Return on LX or UA - Bassinet Question & Family of 4 reserving Bulk Head seats?

I am not sure why you are expecting different answers when you ask it again in different forums.
As this is primarily a LX question and there are already multiple thread sin LX forum, Will close this thread and refer all to the existing threads.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.