Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

UA: Is Cutty Sark replacing Glenfarclas scotch? temporary supply chain issue?

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 12, 22, 4:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 9, 22, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I tried to order a Glenfarclas on a recent flight in F and the FA said it had been replaced with Cutty Sark now
Old Aug 9, 22, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Doppy View Post
I tried to order a Glenfarclas on a recent flight in F and the FA said it had been replaced with Cutty Sark now
Hmm. I guess scotch isn't "food" for UA...more chop chop instead:

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
There will not be any more cuts coming - UA is seeing internally that customers care more about food than they bargained for. Any change will be slow, but it will gradually move in a positive direction in terms of quality. I would guess pre-orders will help and expect to see a return of more rotation of domestic flights and hot mid-flight snacks in Polaris.
David
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That's interesting. FA memos on catering usually go out on Wednesdays. We'll see if there is any mention of this tomorrow.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'll believe that when I see it. But if so, that would be about the worst thing United could ever do to me...!

Glenfarclas is a nice-drinking, single malt Scotch.

Cutty Sark is lower-end blended swill my great-grandpa used to drink.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:17 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Replacing Glenfarclas with Cutty Sark kind of misses the point of having Glenfarclas complement Dewars.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Cutty Sark is lower-end blended swill my great-grandpa used to drink.
I remember trying this once at the EWR UC (it was the complimentary scotch). Did not care for it at all.
Old Aug 9, 22, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
As soon as the TSA changes the liquid limit to .75L and UA employs only blind FAs, this'll be my carry-on:
big V, FlyingHoustonian and alggag like this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Isn’t Cutty Sark just one of the Glens that has been filtered through a human?
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
As soon as the TSA changes the liquid limit to .75L and UA employs only blind FAs, this'll be my carry-on:
That is a beautiful dram.
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
That is a beautiful dram.
Bought them for less than $100 a couple of years ago. Couldn't get it stateside - always brought a bottle back with me. Just looked it up (now discontinued) and currently going for $400-500. I wonder if UA will take it in lieu of my December UK front cabin exit tax (or what ever they call it) and then serve it on board my flight (and only to seat 3L)? Ought to make a fine ride to SFO.
Old Aug 9, 22, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Bought them for less than $100 a couple of years ago. Couldn't get it stateside - always brought a bottle back with me. Just looked it up (now discontinued) and currently going for $400-500. I wonder if UA will take it in lieu of my December UK front cabin exit tax (or what ever they call it) and then serve it on board my flight (and only to seat 3L)? Ought to make a fine ride to SFO.
if so, Im booking 3L all of December 😄
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ah that's too bad, looks like a lot of their duty-free market line isn't being continued, but seems par for the course with Diageo remixing the lineup all the time.

I'm partial to the Port Ruighe, and note that major online UK retailers (e.g. The Whisky Exchange) will ship basically any UKDM whisky to you in the US, although you pay freight and customs clearance so that adds quite a bit to sticker.

ed. oh and you might have to live in a state that permits shipments of alcohol
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I'll believe that when I see it. But if so, that would be about the worst thing United could ever do to me...!
Well I saw it, the FA brought the Cutty Sark mini to me - no Glenfarclas available.

This was last Wednesday (8/3)
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy View Post
Well I saw it, the FA brought the Cutty Sark mini to me - no Glenfarclas available.

This was last Wednesday (8/3)
I guess UAs passengers have been asking for a more low-brow scotch - after all, this quote from the first post in this thread suggests UA listens to its customers:

Customers including our Airtime readers asked us for a premium scotch, so beginning in July 1, 2016, well be offering Glenfarclas single malt Scotch whisky on flights worldwide for $8.99.

Or maybe Glenfarclas is available only in coach?
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Not a fan of blended scotch not Jack Daniel on UA flights. I have been alternating Glenfarclas and Buffalo Trace...now I am down to one choice.

FYI, I came across the bottle below at NH’s NRT lounge recently. I sampled it and did not really care for it. Instead I emptied the Maker’s bottle next to it.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 10, 22 at 2:14 am

Search this Thread