Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS airport issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS airport issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Mrs LHRSFO is booked on AMS-SFO on 8/3. There's no notice of cancellation, but the flight no longer appears to be for sale. Any idea if that signifies an intention to cancel, or whether it's just full and no seats are available? The seat map in the reservation suggests that the front isn't full but I do realize that it's not a reliable indicator.
It does appear to be for sale again, though my guess is that they would prefer people choose a different routing. For a one way AMS-SFO they are offering Y class economy ticket and on a round trip booking they are offering to sell me a B class economy ticket.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I hope that this is the case as she would be safe. However, I fear that it's worse, as UA seems happy to sell seats for the rest of the week.
If the reductions are to be proportional to the airline’s contribution to passenger totals at AMS, wouldn’t UA have more to reduce than AA but less to reduce than Delta? For those prospective AMS passengers wanting to minimize the chances of being hit by a pared AMS flight, it may be somewhat safer to be booked on a carrier that has fewer passengers out of AMS than UA has,
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
It does appear to be for sale again, though my guess is that they would prefer people choose a different routing. For a one way AMS-SFO they are offering Y class economy ticket and on a round trip booking they are offering to sell me a B class economy ticket.
Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
AMS is a mess and not getting any better. For my trip last month I found the KLM forum has the best info (no shocker) and a running thread with day-by-day guidance.

For several days last month (and maybe more) all of the SFO-AMS flights on UA were delayed 3+ hours. So YMMV but personally I would not count on making a short connection at least until the fall season arrives. The immigration lines are tolerable (if you are connecting to EU) but if you leave the airport you may regret it as security lines can stretch for 2-4 hours if you aren't flying biz or have Privium status. If it was me I would take a train if that is an option to UK, France etc. If you are looking at one flight a day then I'd want at least 2 hours and maybe more depending on the UA track record for your flight.

Originally Posted by SFOtoTYO
Ugh I’m flying SFO to AMS 8/19-8/28, if UA cancels the flight they would rebook without extra cost correct? I wouldn’t mind taking a train to FRA and going back that way.
Yes. But there is often more than one option as I found when my SFO-AMS was delayed 3 hours:

(1) .bomb offered my an earlier flight to ORD or EWR with a connection to AMS that would have arrived before my original flight. I passed and rightfully so as the ORD-AMS flight was cancelled on multiple dates.

(2) take the original flight and rebook the connection from AMS (this is what I ultimately did)

(3) find a 3rd option through your own research and ask UA to rebook.

I went with 2 and ended up exiting the airport and flying the following day. None of these should require additional airfare.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:17 am

Priority security at AMS

Flying business from AMS - SFO. I am trying to see if we get a priority security line. No clear answers anywhere…. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance..
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Yes, you proceed to the upper level past the check in areas which has fast track. When I flew out a few weeks back on UA41 to Houston, took about 25 minutes. The articles you see online about the chaos at AMS largely pertain to economy travelers. dont check a bag if you can avoid.... check in lines can be long.

My experience was smooth with the exception of having to wait for a pushback tug for over an hour after the door closed.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Yes, you proceed to the upper level past the check in areas which has fast track. When I flew out a few weeks back on UA41 to Houston, took about 25 minutes. The articles you see online about the chaos at AMS largely pertain to economy travelers. dont check a bag if you can avoid.... check in lines can be long.

My experience was smooth with the exception of having to wait for a pushback tug for over an hour after the door closed.
Correct. Connecting passengers (non-Schengen->non-Schengen) have the quickest experience, particularly if security is not required (depends on country of origin) as no immigration is required. Next fastest are the Schengen->non-Schengen or non-Schengen->Schengen (immigration required but maybe not security). I would think 2 hours between flights is sufficient for any of these scenarios.

The worst times are for people originating at AMS or who leave the airport and then return and have to clear security. You can see many photos of the lines to enter the airport, check bags, security, etc. Even as biz class I had a half hour wait at the TK counter (couldn't do online checkin). Biz class is much faster than economy if you can locate the right lines. At this point if you are originating at AMS I would allocate at least 1 hour for biz class (just to clear security and immigration) and 4 hours for economy. Again the best daily updates are in the KLM forum.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Skymiles; Marriott Rewards; UAL MileagePlus
Just arrived AMS-EWR: Schipol is a mess

Here’s what we learned the hard way. UA advised that we arrive 3 hours before our flight, which was to depart 0915. What they don’t say is that there are no desk agents until 0615. When we arrived at 0600 (good doobies that we are), the lines looked for all the world like the most popular ride at Disney. And there were no signs marking the masses as queued up for UA. Promptly at 0615, agents appeared like rock stars taking the stage, and the UA signs above them lit up.
No agents were there assisting or directing the masses and there were no signs, but we figured out that there was a shortcut to the one agent and smaller queue checking Polaris and Premier passengers. Our flight was otherwise unremarkable; great crew, terrible food, and our baggage made it both going and coming. Yay! Bottom line—I would never recommend that anyone fly into/out of AMS in other than Polaris these days.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I have a 65 minute United > LOT connection on Friday morning. Most of the issues reported seems to be with passengers originating at AMS can can anyone advise how transiting is within the last week or two? Also, does anyone know if I need to go through security as well as customs at AMS or just customs? Is 65 minutes even doable now?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
I have a 65 minute United > LOT connection on Friday morning. Most of the issues reported seems to be with passengers originating at AMS can can anyone advise how transiting is within the last week or two? Also, does anyone know if I need to go through security as well as customs at AMS or just customs? Is 65 minutes even doable now?
Likewise, Mrs LHRSFO has a connection Aer Lingus > UA, with two hours in theory. Will there be security checks from Ireland, which is in the EU but outside Schengen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.