Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
With over 640 LH cancellations scheduled Wednesday at FRA it’ll be an easy airport to avoid
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
With over 640 LH cancellations scheduled Wednesday at FRA it’ll be an easy airport to avoid
But good news if you're flying FRA-GDN which appears to be running - you'll have the lounge to yourself!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The RCC at FRA lives! Luxxlounge am Flughafen Frankfurt
Looks like a time capsule to the 90s or early 2000s.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
We are flying SFO-FRA-CDG next week. I've never connected at FRA before. Arriving at FRA around 3pm. We have an 80 minute connection. Had not been worried about this until seeing this thread. Should we be?
Don't follow the exit-signs follow the signs to A (if your flight leaves from A as most of the LH-shengen flights do) and then you only have to clear passportcontroll and no customs or any screening. 80mins will be fine.
jdrtravel and Plane-is-home like this.

Last edited by zappa42m; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The RCC at FRA lives! Luxxlounge am Flughafen Frankfurt
anual fee: 950,00 €
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
The luxxlounge is the space previously occupied by AA's Admirals Club before T2 opened.
The RCC was in Terminal C airside. It had a great view over the tarmac.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
But good news if you're flying FRA-GDN which appears to be running - you'll have the lounge to yourself!
It was pretty light in the lounge when I was in there last week. Pro tip, there's two lounges, and one is right next to the GDN departure gate (up the stairs above it). Also as you come around the corner you will see an insane line to the right.... that's the Ibiza gate. You can probably get a contact high in that line.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
cricketer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
UA is offering what seem to be some extremely tight connections via FRA from US to various European cities and v.v. 1h to 1h20. Assume I should avoid in both directions? What about MUC? This is for travel late Sept./early Oct.

My personal experience in FRA has always been not to have enough time because of it's sprawling layout. Munich has been better . . . but 1h to 1h20 seems like a huge risk going Schengen to US, no?

(Of course the alternatives are 4-5 hour connections, which is ample and then some.)
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drewguy
UA is offering what seem to be some extremely tight connections via FRA from US to various European cities and v.v. 1h to 1h20. Assume I should avoid in both directions? What about MUC? This is for travel late Sept./early Oct.

My personal experience in FRA has always been not to have enough time because of it's sprawling layout. Munich has been better . . . but 1h to 1h20 seems like a huge risk going Schengen to US, no?

(Of course the alternatives are 4-5 hour connections, which is ample and then some.)
i connect schengen to US through FRA and MUC monthly.

you can definitely do 1:20 via MUC if you’re on time, easier yet if the H passport control line is short (often is) or the electronic things are open (rarely are), but i feel much better when i manage to schedule something around the 2:00 mark.

standby lists aren’t the place to be these days.
Boraxo, halls120, drewguy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by perkele; Aug 21, 2022 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
UA is offering what seem to be some extremely tight connections via FRA from US to various European cities and v.v. 1h to 1h20. Assume I should avoid in both directions? What about MUC? This is for travel late Sept./early Oct. My personal experience in FRA has always been not to have enough time because of it's sprawling layout. Munich has been better . . . but 1h to 1h20 seems like a huge risk going Schengen to US, no?
I'm on one of those this coming weekend SFO-MUC-XXX (and I had one in April, too), 1:30 connection. Honestly, not too worried at all - but if SFO-MUC is delayed (average delay less than 10 minutes), that will add some beads of sweat to the journey. I'm just happy that it's MUC rather than FRA as I find the staff there much more helpful in IRROPS and as you said, a better transit airport.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Is FRA having the same issues with checked baggage going astray that AMS and LHR have been having? Concerned about checked bags getting delayed for UA to FRA, then LH to IST.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Is FRA having the same issues with checked baggage going astray that AMS and LHR have been having? Concerned about checked bags getting delayed for UA to FRA, then LH to IST.
once the last rounds of summer holidays are over 9/10 it should not be an issue IMHO. How long of a connection?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Historically I have never had a problem with 1 hour connections USA-FRA/MUC-non-Schengen but of course that does not require a stop at passport control. My advice would be to transit via MUC if at all possible as IME it is always much less time walking and security is much faster and less annoying than FRA. The business lounge agents are really good if you need help with a missed connection, etc. though I find LH is generally much better with the automated solution than others.
halls120 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Question: I am flying into Frankfurt late afternoon, connecting to the 8:30 am Chicago flight the next day. Would the My Cloud hotel make sense? It seems like it's at Z25, beyond security, so I would avoid having to deal with the vagaries of security and passport control and such first thing in the morning.

(Not sure if the lounge will allow me entry when I arrive, when my connecting flight isn't until the next day. Only did it once, and not in Frankfurt, and had to talk my way in nicely. But it seemed like it was an exception.)

This thread scared me into staying inside of the Z concourse at MyCloud. I arrived today, was turned away from the lounges since my connecting flight wasn't until tomorrow (as I expected). MyCloud is expensive for a tiny room, but I have a view of the runway and I don't have to deal with security or passport control in the morning....
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:24 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tino
A question for those with FRA experience: I am trying to choose an economy award flight between TPA-IAD-MUC (2.5 hr layover) on United metal or TPA-FRA-MUC on Finnair (as Eurowings Discover)/Lufthansa with a 1.5 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is there any way I clear customs and immigration and make my connection?
Real-time followup! I am sitting at Gate A24 waiting for the 3:15 FRA-MUC because after deplaning the TPA-FRA flight, it took 2 hrs 45 min to clear security and immigration, leaving me no shot at my 90 minute connection for the 12:15 flight. We landed in C and I followed the signs to A, which forced me to into the A/Z security line. I'm sure I did something wrong. The LH service desk in A was outstanding in getting me on the next flight, as it is utter chaos at FRA today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.