Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Old Jul 23, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
since it’s an award, I would target nonstop tpa/fra and then take train fra (flughafen = airport) to Munich city
I googled train route to get rough idea.
When I used to arrive in fra, I would just buy the train ticket (at their ticket machine) after immigration / baggage / customs so that I wouldn’t worry about “missing” my train since tix tend to be non-refundable when bought in advance at a discount.
I enjoyed Germany trains. When buying tickets to some trains, it’s easy to reserve an assigned seat and the ticket machine has international languages.

the extra cost offsets the concern about connecting plus risk of long delay for replacement flight. Plus you can get train to city center instead of airport.

Deutsche Bahn’s Website is Bahn.de. You can also buy tickets on their app, where you can also save your U.S. credit card. Another option is to purchase the ticket on the app, along with the seat assignment. You show the mobile ticket to the conductor once on the train.
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Thanks for the links. The first one reminded me of the special screaning for US bound pax (and maybe others?) it was just beyond the RCC and my first time it came as a surprise.
Old Jul 23, 22, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Deutsche Bahn’s Website is Bahn.de. You can also buy tickets on their app, where you can also save your U.S. credit card. Another option is to purchase the ticket on the app, along with the seat assignment. You show the mobile ticket to the conductor once on the train.
And if you buy a 1st class seat they have a decent lounge right above the platforms.
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
A question for those with FRA experience: I am trying to choose an economy award flight between TPA-IAD-MUC (2.5 hr layover) on United metal or TPA-FRA-MUC on Finnair (as Eurowings Discover)/Lufthansa with a 1.5 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is there any way I clear customs and immigration and make my connection? From the comments above and the fact that I have no status, it looks like I should probably try my luck in Dulles....
No problem... if you misconnect you're in FRA and you need to get to MUC. I have happily made many ~1h connections at FRA as long as they are entering Schengen to a short and frequent flight.
Old Jul 23, 22, 11:47 am

I have only vague recollections of the old Red Carpet Club. The LH lounges were significantly superior and we've always aimed for them. We were going on five hours sleep and no coffee or else I would have noticed the Senator Lounge right away. I also take note when requested to go to some other club and asked this woman if they wouldn't allow me in to the Lufthansa Lounge. She replied that I could go to whichever lounge I wanted but that the United Club would be closer. Maybe she's just returned from a really long-term leave.
Or perhaps agent was also running on five hours sleep and no coffee.

As to the BP, that's a good theory but Mrs. Fredd did not run her BP through the first time but only our grandson's. She was in line at the counter behind other people whose BPs were also not working so it may have been some strange glitch. I just hope we've appeased the travel gods for awhile by experiencing all of these fiascos one after the other that I described.
No other theories then, but here's hoping!
Fredd likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sgtbalski View Post
I know this was a page ago but it made me laugh. While I don't travel nearly as much as many of you I would say a great deal more than your average person. No problems navigating myself anywhere in the USA or overseas until FRA three days ago.

I felt like... I think you guys call them a "kettle"?
Indeed!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046020/
SPN Lifer and halls120 like this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
since it’s an award, I would target nonstop tpa/fra and then take train fra (flughafen = airport) to Munich city
When I used to arrive in fra, I would just buy the train ticket (at their ticket machine) after immigration / baggage / customs so that I wouldn’t worry about “missing” my train since tix tend to be non-refundable when bought in advance at a discount.
I enjoyed Germany trains. When buying tickets to some trains, it’s easy to reserve an assigned seat and the ticket machine has international languages.

the extra cost offsets the concern about connecting plus risk of long delay for replacement flight. Plus you can get train to city center instead of airport.
As one who flew regularly from the US to Frankfurt/Munich and the surrounding area the last few years before Covid, I agree this is good advice. Keys to it making the most sense IMHO 1) no checked baggage!! 2) no more than whatever you’d consider a reasonable cost premium vs connecting flights 3) central-ish Munich is actually your final destination. As others have suggested, download the DB app ahead of time and get it all set up to purchase tickets before you leave home….it’s a little tricky using US banks / cards vs German ones but it’s very doable…..it will give you something to do in the passport control line, but be sure not to buy until you’re reasonably sure when you’ll be through it…as I recall, allowing about 15 minutes walking time to the airport train station if you’re healthy is sufficient. Be sure you book an ICE train Frankfurt am Main Flughafen Fernbahnhof to München Hauptbahnhof (Hbf).
goodeats21 and tcdtcd like this.

Last edited by TallTexan; Jul 23, 22 at 8:01 pm
Old Jul 23, 22, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Both routes TPA-FRA and TPA-FRA-MUC are the same cost in miles (30k), so I think I will take the free option of flying to MUC. However, I will definitely keep this information in case it all goes wrong in FRA. Thank you!
TallTexan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
Both routes TPA-FRA and TPA-FRA-MUC are the same cost in miles (30k), so I think I will take the free option of flying to MUC. However, I will definitely keep this information in case it all goes wrong in FRA. Thank you!
Sounds like you're booking this as a one-way, which is fine. If part of a round trip, and you don't fly FRA-MUC, the return ticket would be canceled.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One + on FRA over MUC on longer layover is the proximity of the city in FRA (12 min train ride).
Old Jul 24, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold
Then again, one + of MUC over FRA on longer layovers is that it's a city actually worth visiting
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:24 pm
Original Member

Smile

Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
Sounds like you're booking this as a one-way, which is fine. If part of a round trip, and you don't fly FRA-MUC, the return ticket would be canceled.
Yes, zed fares around Europe and back to the US. Just gotta get to Oktoberfest first... Thanks for the advice everybody.
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
Then again, one + of MUC over FRA on longer layovers is that it's a city actually worth visiting
There are things to see in Frankfurt, too.
Old Jul 25, 22, 2:20 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
There are things to see in Frankfurt, too.
You could have just listed both of them... 😉
Old Jul 25, 22, 3:06 am

Programs: DL DM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
FRA airport head advises passengers to use colorful checked baggage because all the black suitcases are making it more difficult for them to process astray bags.

This is not The Onion.

German tourists told to use colourful luggage to avoid airport delays | Germany | The Guardian

Search this Thread