Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bertles86
So from disembarking the plane to the new gate was about 25 mins all-in.
What time of the day was this though?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
What time of the day was this though?
Landed at 08:15.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bertles86
Landed at 08:15.
Your route and timing made all the difference.

Departures from non-Schengen B at that time are mostly just a handful of flights to Canada and non-Schengen Europe.

An hour or two later and you start getting into the first wave of Asia departures at lunchtime.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
Through most of my travels to the Schengen zone, I can’t remember if there are any arrival airports that have a separate exit for hand baggage versus luggage retrieval. Most exits I’ve been to route through baggage claim regardless. Frankfurt was like this before where you exit the secure area into the departure level and leave without going down to baggage level, at least in the A/Z terminal.
As I travel with hand luggage only most of the time I can positively confirm that there are several. FRA and DUS come to mind without long thinking. In the older days you even got to the baggage reclaim area in A from landside only
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: UAMP
Originally Posted by mozilla
For a first-time passenger, FRA is horrible. Especially when transiting on a tight connection. FRA is one of the few airports that managed to make me lose my way; not many airports can claim that accomplishment.
I know this was a page ago but it made me laugh. While I don't travel nearly as much as many of you I would say a great deal more than your average person. No problems navigating myself anywhere in the USA or overseas until FRA three days ago.

I felt like... I think you guys call them a "kettle"?
narvik and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by sgtbalski; Jul 18, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As I travel with hand luggage only most of the time I can positively confirm that there are several. FRA and DUS come to mind without long thinking. In the older days you even got to the baggage reclaim area in A from landside only
I’ve arrived in FRA intra-Schengen multiple times in the past 3-5 years and don’t remember any exits now where it doesn’t route you through baggage claim if arriving in A. Could be there maybe I made a wrong turn.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by sgtbalski
I know this is a page ago but it made me laugh. While I don't travel nearly as much as many of you I would say a great deal more than your average person. No problems navigating myself anywhere in the USA or overseas until FRA three days ago.

I felt like... I think you guys call them a "kettle"?
Lol -- someone a few pages back noted that the Germans are orderly -- not efficient -- a perfect way to describe FRA. Due to the size of the airport and Schengen / Non-Schengen zones it's like two airports in one -- even the air train has two different sides! That's why I always tell people to just follow the signs -- on any given day no one knows how they will set up the airport -- and I know FRA like the back of my hand -- and many days I wonder why there is a bus to B and other days not -- and why some days my flights that arrive from the US are clean -- and some days they are not (seems to depend on bus gates to me) -- but I stopped expecting logic and efficiency and just follow the signs!
cricketer, Boraxo, lhrsfo and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I’ve arrived in FRA intra-Schengen multiple times in the past 3-5 years and don’t remember any exits now where it doesn’t route you through baggage claim if arriving in A. Could be there maybe I made a wrong turn.
They are thinking of B.

You have to walk through the public area to get to the escalators that take you down to B baggage claim.
myperks likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Kacee
The last part is purely theoretical at most airports where there are no controls on Schengen arrivals.
Every airport I've been to has had at least one customs officer observing Schengen arrivals. I've never been pulled aside, but I have seen it happen. On my most recent arrival at FCO they were totally plain-clothed aside from a badge on their hip.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:06 am

Oh, it‘s easy, just walk to A11 and continue straight ahead - voila, you left airside…
myperks likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol -- someone a few pages back noted that the Germans are orderly -- not efficient -- a perfect way to describe FRA. Due to the size of the airport and Schengen / Non-Schengen zones it's like two airports in one -- even the air train has two different sides! That's why I always tell people to just follow the signs -- on any given day no one knows how they will set up the airport -- and I know FRA like the back of my hand -- and many days I wonder why there is a bus to B and other days not -- and why some days my flights that arrive from the US are clean -- and some days they are not (seems to depend on bus gates to me) -- but I stopped expecting logic and efficiency and just follow the signs!
This would explain why I have often been sure at FRA that I've been to all sorts of bits, but often seemed to have arrived at them by a new totally circuitous route. Why sometimes I arrive clean and sometimes not, why sometimes there are passport controls when I'm not expecting them (eg non-Schengen to non-Schengen) and there appears to be no logic in it at all, other than the amount of walking which makes for good exercise and general heartiness, a very good welcome to the germanic way!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc;[url=tel:34434390
34434390]Just wanted to give my experience on the other side of the equation (exiting FRA back to the States) in case it helps anyone:
  • UA 181 / 16th FRA-DEN 11:20 AM departure, Polaris
    • Arrived to check luggage at 0700 (1 bag, 2 people ahead in the Polaris/1K line - long line already queued for economy check-in/baggage drop off)
      • Took the 1 agent forever to process the pax at the counter. Completed check-in at 07:20 and made my way to Passport Control/border and subsequently security
    • Arrived Passport Control (Z gates) at 07:25 - line was already back to the top of the escalator and wound around
      • No bypassing for First/Business class. Everyone funneled into one automated reader.
        • There was an agent there letting crew and anyone with extremely tight connections through
      • This took me a solid 55 minutes to get through. During that time several people (at least 2 dozen) on the ORD-bound flight were jumping the queue (fine by me since I had plenty of time) as their flight was about to close. I'm going to say that some of them missed their flight (one group told me they'd been there since the counters opened at 5 AM).
    • Arrived at Security and again no differentiation for First/Business. Everyone funneled into one line. Only one lane of security was open. At about 08:30 and additional 2 lanes opened up.
      • Through security in roughly 20 minutes.
      • Seems like when they opened the additional lanes, they also started letting First/Business through the left-hand side.
Again, sample size of one. But, I fly to/from/through German airports all the time and this is the most chaotic I have seen. Colleagues who flew direct to Cologne/Bonn did not fare any better (2 had their flights completely canceled out of the UK, one mis-connected out of AMS and his return flight was also canceled a week later).

Pack patience and arrive early. May the odds be ever in your favor!
Mrs. Fredd, a young grandson and I hope to make tomorrow morning’s FRA-ORD flight. We’re flying in C and overnighting at
the HGI. Any recent experiences indicating how early we need to awaken him?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Ain't this the truth! I don't have the aversion to FRA that a lot of people do, but I have tended to use it multiple times a year for connections throughout Europe and also onwards to India or, rarely, the Middle East. It can get amusingly confusing when you're doing the same route you did three months ago, via roughly the same gates, and yet a five minute walk can somehow be replaced by a 20 minute bus ride the second time around. I have never figured out if it's just me being half-asleep on some occasions, or as you describe, it's the airport just reconfiguring itself on a daily basis, but either way, in 25 years I can only think of two instances where I felt like I'd actually gone badly wrong and got lost in the matrix. If you follow the signs, you will get there, and even when the lines look long, you'll make it through.

Of course, this summer I used MUC, which appeared to be devoid of passengers on a Wednesday in July, so I can't speak to the current situation in FRA.... until next month!
cesco.g and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fredd
Mrs. Fredd, a young grandson and I hope to make tomorrow morning’s FRA-ORD flight. We’re flying in C and overnighting at
the HGI. Any recent experiences indicating how early we need to awaken him?
That's exactly where I stayed, too, A good choice and less than 10 minutes to the counters. The ORD-bound folks I chatted with said the counters didn't open until 0500. There was already a line when they got there at 0515 and it had to take them >2 hours to check-in/drop/bags/get up to border control (where I had already been for a while). I would say be there when the counters open and when you get to the border/Bundespolizei if it looks like it's going to be tight to make it to the gate, hug to the left and speak to the agent "troubleshooting" the automated kiosks. She was letting those whose flights were at/near boarding selectively jump the queue in a separate line. If you make it through with no issues, enjoy the offerings in the Senator Lounge. Safe and painless travels!
Fredd, onthesam and adambrau like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc;[url=tel:34442530
34442530[/url]]That's exactly where I stayed, too, A good choice and less than 10 minutes to the counters. The ORD-bound folks I chatted with said the counters didn't open until 0500. There was already a line when they got there at 0515 and it had to take them >2 hours to check-in/drop/bags/get up to border control (where I had already been for a while). I would say be there when the counters open and when you get to the border/Bundespolizei if it looks like it's going to be tight to make it to the gate, hug to the left and speak to the agent "troubleshooting" the automated kiosks. She was letting those whose flights were at/near boarding selectively jump the queue in a separate line. If you make it through with no issues, enjoy the offerings in the Senator Lounge. Safe and painless travels!
Thanks! We have carry-on only and all have our BPs, so we’re feeling a bit more optimistic.

Incidentally, our grandson’s “new” passport would not work with the UA app, but it printed out first try at a kiosk just inside Departures.

OT but good golly it’s hot here. We’re dining in the Hilton restaurant next door to the HGI simply because it’s cool!

Thanks again, MarkyMarc.
restlessinRNO and MarkyMarc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.