Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Old Jul 16, 22, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
o.k., I'll call b.s. on that. Yes, there was an Email to M&M members suggesting there COULD be an issue at certain airports.

This one?

Another ‘Sorry’ Email from Lufthansa

As our system partners are experiencing staffing difficulties, Fast Lanes, as a separate operation at many German airports, are currently not available. We know that this premium service is particularly important to you as a frequent flyer. Nevertheless, in this extraordinary situation, we would be grateful if you could incorporate extra wait times at security into your schedule.

​​​​​​….
Old Jul 16, 22, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
right. Yet, the OP claims they are currently unavailable which is definitely not true based on reports. LH sent out a warning that staffing issues may lead to issues with fast lanes ... that has not yet happened. I also highly doubt this will affect FC as the OP claimed ... LH shutting down F security in MUC or the FCT in FRA seems extremely unlikely. We will see I guess, but so far this is not reflecting reality in FRA/MUC
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 22, 2:56 pm

Programs: United
Had the same issue now in Munich on the return. At least I witnessed it. Anyone with a connection was allowed to pass. Anyone with a European password was allowed to pass. Otherwise you had to wait at the top of some stairs as there was no more room to process inbound non-German visitors. This is all due to the new rules Germany put in place. So saw it in Frankfort and in Munich. It was horrible for those trying to get into Germany.
Old Jul 16, 22, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
For a first-time passenger, FRA is horrible. Especially when transiting on a tight connection. FRA is one of the few airports that managed to make me lose my way; not many airports can claim that accomplishment.....
CDG can be confusing to newbies. Myself and a co-worker made short work of the walk between terminals at CDG (sometimes shorter to re-clear security) on our way to a LHR flight a couple of years back. Somehow our int'l newbie boss managed not to keep up and, as we were boarding, we got a phone call - "I'm on a bus and I can see the terminal" . He missed the flight. We weren't too put out - gave us time for a couple of beers/laughs at Paddington and saw it as sort of his initiation.

I think connecting to/from UA to/from *A flights at FRA is far easier than any connection across terminals at CDG.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 16, 22 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 16, 22, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
My first flight through FRA was ORD-FRA-KBP which left me with a Z-B connection. I followed FT wisdom and just followed the signs and there were a couple of moments when I felt I was walking back to my starting point!
I have definitely ended up walking back to my starting point in FRA by following the signs during various stages of construction! FRA is my least favorite airport for European connections.
Old Jul 17, 22, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by southlondonphil View Post
Make them feel like they're special while not actually ameliorating the situation much would be my guess.
Exactly. It sounds like a GS passenger landed on a delayed flight and didn't receive the super special first class limo treatment that apparently was expected, complete with parting of the red sea - err passport lines.

Welcome to the world the rest of us inhabit. If you miss a connection LH will book you onto the next flight. Happens every day.

Yes, Euro airports are a mess right now. This is not unique to UA, LH or FRA. Travel early and be prepared for hassles.
cesco.g and marks88 like this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I came to think of FRA as being orderly, which changed my approach. Don't try to preplan or to keep track of where exactly you currently are. Instead, just follow the signs and it always works out.
This has been my approach too. I've been through FRA dozens of times but I still have not been able to learn the layout. I just learned to trust the signs.
However, reading this thread, maybe I should learn the layout better. Especially if I'm stuck in a 2hr line and have the option to try going through another terminal.

In the past week, I've been through BRU,ZRH,MUC,GVA passport control and have had virtually no line each time so maybe it just depends of time of day.
I generally do try to avoid FRA but my choice of US-INTL airport is driven more by PZ availability.
Old Jul 17, 22, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
you are mistaken. Customs is technically also done right after passing through immigration (at least in Frankfurt for connecting Schengen passport control)… just because no one is there and not that have I seen anyone stop and declare, doesn’t mean customs is not there.
Schengen has two places for customs checks. You have to declare goods in hand baggage at your arrival airport, and goods in checked luggage at your final destination airport.
Old Jul 17, 22, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by devdas View Post
Schengen has two places for customs checks. You have to declare goods in hand baggage at your arrival airport, and goods in checked luggage at your final destination airport.
The last part is purely theoretical at most airports where there are no controls on Schengen arrivals.
Old Jul 17, 22, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The last part is purely theoretical at most airports where there are no controls on Schengen arrivals.
the first part is more theoretical as many people don’t even know it’s there.
uanj and CAPT Tee like this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
the first part is more theoretical as many people don’t even know it’s there.
True enough, but you will at least be asked to show your passport at immigration. Unlike final arrival, where you can just walk out like a domestic US arrival.
SPN Lifer and akonradi like this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 11:05 am

True enough, but you will at least be asked to show your passport at immigration. Unlike final arrival, where you can just walk out like a domestic US arrival.
Through most of my travels to the Schengen zone, I can’t remember if there are any arrival airports that have a separate exit for hand baggage versus luggage retrieval. Most exits I’ve been to route through baggage claim regardless. Frankfurt was like this before where you exit the secure area into the departure level and leave without going down to baggage level, at least in the A/Z terminal.
Old Jul 17, 22, 11:08 am

You can still be pulled out of the crowd at final arrival. If you demonstrate that your origin was within Schengen, you pass without further scrutiny. If not, you may be subject to inspection. Has happened to me many times, including a few weeks ago when the additional inspection was limited to answering a few questions. In the past, I have had my luggage opened, despite exiting through the green Schengen Arrivals / Nothing to Declare lane like everyone else, because my origin was outside Schengen and the customs agent thought I might be carrying undeclared items for some reason (which I wasn't).
CAPT Tee likes this.
Old Jul 17, 22, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/DL Plat
Just wanted to give my experience on the other side of the equation (exiting FRA back to the States) in case it helps anyone:
  • UA 181 / 16th FRA-DEN 11:20 AM departure, Polaris
    • Arrived to check luggage at 0700 (1 bag, 2 people ahead in the Polaris/1K line - long line already queued for economy check-in/baggage drop off)
      • Took the 1 agent forever to process the pax at the counter. Completed check-in at 07:20 and made my way to Passport Control/border and subsequently security
    • Arrived Passport Control (Z gates) at 07:25 - line was already back to the top of the escalator and wound around
      • No bypassing for First/Business class. Everyone funneled into one automated reader.
        • There was an agent there letting crew and anyone with extremely tight connections through
      • This took me a solid 55 minutes to get through. During that time several people (at least 2 dozen) on the ORD-bound flight were jumping the queue (fine by me since I had plenty of time) as their flight was about to close. I'm going to say that some of them missed their flight (one group told me they'd been there since the counters opened at 5 AM).
    • Arrived at Security and again no differentiation for First/Business. Everyone funneled into one line. Only one lane of security was open. At about 08:30 and additional 2 lanes opened up.
      • Through security in roughly 20 minutes.
      • Seems like when they opened the additional lanes, they also started letting First/Business through the left-hand side.
Again, sample size of one. But, I fly to/from/through German airports all the time and this is the most chaotic I have seen. Colleagues who flew direct to Cologne/Bonn did not fare any better (2 had their flights completely canceled out of the UK, one mis-connected out of AMS and his return flight was also canceled a week later).

Pack patience and arrive early. May the odds be ever in your favor!
flyme2, cesco.g, Boraxo and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:27 am

Programs: M&M
A little review of transiting FRA today...

I flew in from WAW to a remote position, and they bussed us to Gate BSO.

Straight up the stairs, and into passport control after a few shops. All windows for non EU passports were open and there were maybe 20 people ahead of me.

I got through in 6 minutes flat.

5 min walk to my non schengen gate, and there were no bag checks or further security.

So from disembarking the plane to the new gate was about 25 mins all-in.
flyme2 and cesco.g like this.

Search this Thread