Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Old Aug 9, 22, 9:40 pm
  #61  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,387
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I Present to you, the snack box on an Air China Flight from Beijing to Ulaan Bataar. I'm pretty sure the Sandwhich spread was a combination of industrial ash, pig anus, and a little bit of horse semen for flavor.


Air China Snack Box

Delicious.... probably cures COVID
Well at least you got something. All I remembered from that route was a drink and that's it. The returned from ULN-PEK had a 10 hour delay. The local staff at ULN did serve us lunch from the employee cafeteria, although I can't tell you what exactly they served since the food serving employees did not speak English nor Mandarin.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Is what AC's doing with "safety" cancellations any worse than the stunts UA was playing with 24 hour threshold for refunds and "we didn't cancel your flight, we just rescheduled it to a week from Thursday" early in the pandemic?
Well CTA has a different thought on that one:

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/content/ca...-shortages-may
PTahCha is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:10 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 38,101
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
..TP customer service...
They now have such a thing?

Purely when it comes to customers service I'd now vote for SA rather than AC. My flight was canceled nearly 4 weeks ago and we got a message that she'll be rebooked when capacity available .... silence ever since. When you call, you are offered wait times of 6 to 9 hours, so that is a no go.
Overall pretty bad experience every time, I have to struggle with them.

As for repugnant ... when it comes to filthy planes, my vote goes to AI then UA.
weero is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 6:53 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ(RIP) Freccia Alata+, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,355
AUSTRIAN would be most repugnant IMO. YMMV.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 7:21 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 2,004
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV View Post
I can't believe there's been no mention of Avianca. They've essentially become a LCC.

Egyptair is also awful. I'll go out of my way to avoid their apathetic crews, lack of alcohol on board, and CAI transit experience.

Air China also sucks. What's to like about them? Lounges are awful, hard product is passable, soft product is poor. IFE is really bad. They're only in *A because of their access to the Chinese market. Far worse than UA.

I would take LO, TP, or AC over AV, MS, or CA any day of the week.
Egyptair wins my vote any day of the week. I have flown them domestically, regionally and long haul. A lot of their planes are not clean, the older ones have never had a steam clean. Air China is not that bad, but I only flew them when it is was them or another Chinese carrier.

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Yes they will. So very good.
I also don't get the reputation of NH. Right before covid, so probably three years ago during typhoon season, I arrived at Narita and got in the check in queue for a flight somewhere in Asia. After waiting in line I find out that the flight was canceled 15 minutes before because our plane was reassigned to a different flight whose plane was stuck in Manila or something. I can be pretty convincing at the airport but NH outright refused to rebook me. It was like arguing with a brick wall. Had I already checked in they would take care of me, but I hadn't.

The check in agent said I had to call their customer service line in Tokyo. I waited on the phone over 45 minutes only to hear that the ticket stock was 016 stock so I had to call UA. Which I did, and fortunately UA agreed to reroute me even though it was NH's responsibility. It does not matter how good NH food is if this is how they treat pax when NH cancels the flight.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
United serve far better wine than Air India. Heck on a DEL-SFO in Y, I just sent the wine back!

I flew Croatia Airlines last year, and the service was *ok* for a Dash-8, but not a lot of *G benefit. Plus they mishandled a long delay.
AI is also a good contender, so I would say a toss up between MS and AI.
TPACjv likes this.
uanj is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 7:39 am
  #65  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,387
Originally Posted by uanj View Post

I also don't get the reputation of NH. Right before covid, so probably three years ago during typhoon season, I arrived at Narita and got in the check in queue for a flight somewhere in Asia. After waiting in line I find out that the flight was canceled 15 minutes before because our plane was reassigned to a different flight whose plane was stuck in Manila or something. I can be pretty convincing at the airport but NH outright refused to rebook me. It was like arguing with a brick wall. Had I already checked in they would take care of me, but I hadn't.

The check in agent said I had to call their customer service line in Tokyo. I waited on the phone over 45 minutes only to hear that the ticket stock was 016 stock so I had to call UA. Which I did, and fortunately UA agreed to reroute me even though it was NH's responsibility. It does not matter how good NH food is if this is how they treat pax when NH cancels the flight.
At the risk of repeating myself (just posted something similar on the AC forum), this is the airline staff's favorite excuse for not helping you, even though they have the responsibility to resolve the IRROP on the day of travel.

And this is where UA does better - not the greatest, but there is a lot more flexibility for 1K/Premier line to accomodate to alternate flights, if you provide them with specific options.
MatthewLAX likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:35 am
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 58,458
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post

And this is where UA does better - not the greatest, but there is a lot more flexibility for 1K/Premier line to accomodate to alternate flights, if you provide them with specific options.
Even simple things like requesting another seat or a special meal on NHs website proved impossible - it locked me out until T-24. By which time didnt have time/access to do this. On UA this is flexible until T-24, not locked out like NH. SQ is also flexible.

And forget about reaching NH via phone in the US - the bot doesnt even provide an estimated hold time.

There are many many practical, useful ways UA is ahead of the game and many of us take it for granted. Yeah the Polaris meal presentation should be better
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:42 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Even simple things like requesting another seat or a special meal on NHs website proved impossible - it locked me out until T-24. By which time didnt have time/access to do this. On UA this is flexible until T-24, not locked out like NH. SQ is also flexible.

And forget about reaching NH via phone in the US - the bot doesnt even provide an estimated hold time.

There are many many practical, useful ways UA is ahead of the game and many of us take it for granted. Yeah the Polaris meal presentation should be better
I've been on the phone with NH USA multiple times in the last few weeks. Never more than a 15-20 minute wait. Not many airlines are accomplishing that these days.

More importantly, the agents are friendly, competent, eager to assist in implementing their very flexible change policies (ahem, JAL), and speak perfect English.

I've never been "locked out" of their site, whatever that means. The site UI is typical opaque Japanese web design, but perfectly functional.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Ghoulish is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:46 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Posts: 3,258
Shocked were 67 posts in and no one has mentioned Air India.
aCavalierInCoach is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:10 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,566
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
Shocked were 67 posts in and no one has mentioned Air India.
Are you sure?
Poster #64?
Kmxu is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:19 am
  #70  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 58,458
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
Shocked were 67 posts in and no one has mentioned Air India.
Post 12

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34498441-post12.html

But AI is far from the worst on food (for those that are good with Indian flavors)
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:33 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DEN / SEA
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 127
Ethiopian airlines (ET673). Recently had the chance to fly one segment from NRT to ICN when I was in Asia for a trip.
This was the latest departing flight from Tokyo to Seoul (9 PM) which was the reason we chose it. The flight continues to Addis Ababa after making a stop in ICN.

It was a 787-8, but I've never seen a 787 that was run down so badly. Granted I was in economy, but trim pieces were missing, a lot of discoloration already in the cabin etc.
Meal service included either chicken with rice or some lamb chop, with kimchi, saltine crackers and very unappetizing-looking piece of bread (yes way worse than UA) with pinkish pudding dessert.
maverickar15 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 3:23 pm
  #72  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,100
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Post 12

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34498441-post12.html

But AI is far from the worst on food (for those that are good with Indian flavors)
Yes, but its also got quite the reputation for being bad on the ground and at times having some major cleaning problems even in the forward cabins.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 3:35 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 38,101
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Are you sure?
Poster #64?
I also listed them in # 62.

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Yes, but its also got quite the reputation for being bad on the ground and at times having some major cleaning problems even in the forward cabins.
For me, the cabin crew was an even worse experience than the call center and the ground service.
weero is offline  
Old Aug 12, 22, 12:06 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA *S
Posts: 358
In defense of Air India... I think they try. They have lie flat seats and serve champagne on their long hauls. Their food isn't bad, even in Y. DEL and BOM are pleasant airports to transit, and while their lounges aren't great, I've never had a problem getting several glasses of wine in a short period of time.

AI isn't spectacular because they serve a market of over a billion people and they don't have to be spectacular. I would fly them over a mainland Chinese carrier any day of the week. They're also better than MS, CM, AV, and I wouldn't say materially worse than ET.
Red Raider LV is offline  
Old Aug 12, 22, 12:18 pm
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,529
AC. 33% on time performance, going down month by month.
Zero help during IRROPS when flights inevitably late.
Airport and lounge employees without rebooking capabilities, telling you to call the 1800 number that doesnt answer.

And as for repugnant, they even got a very long thread with photos for that in the AC forum
Dirty aircraft
lsquare likes this.
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread