Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is UA's most repugnant (flying) partner?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Does this apply to *A partners only?

If include non *A partner-airlines, my vote goes to Silver Air out of Florida.
And if we are indeed including non *A partner air carriers, I'll nominate UA Express codeshare affiliate Commutair specifically concerning their ERJ-145 service into IAH.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:06 pm
O62

Air China was not great, but after the whole strike I'm inclined to vote SAS. Ground agents that aren't empowered to do any ticketing, phone agents that hang up on you, and a J or I ticket books into their laughable "business" (SAS Plus) product. After flying with them my new rule for awards flights is to only go where UA also operates flights.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
undrinkable wine.
You just didn't have enough.
work2fly, uanj, big V and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by steveo
I Present to you, the snack box on an Air China Flight from Beijing to Ulaan Bataar. I'm pretty sure the Sandwhich spread was a combination of industrial ash, pig anus, and a little bit of horse semen for flavor.

Air China Snack Box

Delicious.... probably cures COVID
I mean, that is what, a 2 or 2,5 hour flight? What does United serve on a flight of this length? At least you have an option for something...
blug, narvik, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm looking at that snack photo and it looks unappetizing to me, but I don't know if a typical Air China domestic passenger would find it more palatable. I've ridden trains in China that served food that I found wildly bizarre but were presumably popular items with local travelers.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I Present to you, the snack box on an Air China Flight from Beijing
Delicious.... probably cures COVID
Well it cured me of any desire to fly them, that's for certain ...
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
To be frank, the weak sister in the bunch is UA. Inedible food, undrinkable wine.
United serve far better wine than Air India. Heck on a DEL-SFO in Y, I just sent the wine back!

I flew Croatia Airlines last year, and the service was *ok* for a Dash-8, but not a lot of *G benefit. Plus they mishandled a long delay.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2022 at 6:38 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by O62
Air China was not great, but after the whole strike I'm inclined to vote SAS. Ground agents that aren't empowered to do any ticketing, phone agents that hang up on you, and a J or I ticket books into their laughable "business" (SAS Plus) product. After flying with them my new rule for awards flights is to only go where UA also operates flights.
Also, they've stripped back inflight service even further than UA. On flights as long as CPH-KEF, they only have tea and coffee for free. Anything beyond that costs extra, even plain water. That was not a fun three and a half hours.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Nothing like flying in "The Suite"/First SFO-NRT on the 777 and then Air Japan Business NRT-BKK. Two different worlds. I've never seen such a run down 787.
Which is why I can’t agree with all the acclaim being sent NH’s way. Running dowdy 789s (not even very old frames) on 6++ hour routes out of their home base is no bueno big time. That is repugnant.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Which is why I can’t agree with all the acclaim being sent NH’s way. Running dowdy 789s (not even very old frames) on 6++ hour routes out of their home base is no bueno big time. That is repugnant.
Again -- that's not real NH -- that's NH's version of Air Wisconsin.. If you want NH service take the NH mainline service -- from HND.... Trust me I've done it dozens of times in the past few years -- and it's not the same.. If you HAVE to fly to NRT first -- then just don't expect NH mainline -- they used to have it -- but since COVID not so much....
IndyHoosier and nexus7556 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
SAS. I feel they are trying to be a true European low cost carrier, but they are part of Star Alliance. They make booking through other carriers difficult.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
What didn't you like about your NH PE experience?
Worse seat mechanics and settings (I was in bulkhead both on UA and then NH). No controllable air vents. Plane too warm. No can of soda. Less quantity of food. Worse blanket. Much lesser slippers. Lesser pillow. No amenity kit. No water runs. Much less IFE video selection.

This is on NRT-SIN, two very expensive endpoints. And they are running junior varsity product and crew on this?

Plus side, the ice cream cup was H-D. IFE has audio to create a playlist. And the main was reasonable taste.

Last time I flew dba NH I was in J. It was a recliner seat. In 2019. On a 6-7 hour flight. Unforgivable.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Again -- that's not real NH -- that's NH's version of Air Wisconsin.. If you want NH service take the NH mainline service -- from HND.... Trust me I've done it dozens of times in the past few years -- and it's not the same.. If you HAVE to fly to NRT first -- then just don't expect NH mainline -- they used to have it -- but since COVID not so much....
That is NH’s decision in its sole discretion. And it is repugnant. NRT is their home base!

My previous trip in 2019 was in J in a recliner seat. Before that was a 5++ hr trip to CTU…in a 737! Disgusting.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That is NH’s decision in its sole discretion. And it is repugnant. NRT is their home base!

My previous trip in 2019 was in J in a recliner seat. Before that was a 5++ hr trip to CTU…in a 737! Disgusting.
I totally get it -- I NEVER book an Air Japan flight if I can avoid it -- but on some routes -- it's hard to avoid (think JV)... I don't disagree with your assessment as I've also been stuck on "Air not so Japan" to HKG and SIN more times than I like to remember -- usually chosen due to timing -- it's an awful J seat (recliner) with all the wrong pressure points -- and the service is not typical NH at all -- but hey -- given the crap we get on UA these days it's starting to look better lol.... I'm just saying we don't judge UA by their regionals -- NH has the same issue.... It's like judging SQ because of Scoot....
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is what AC's doing with "safety" cancellations any worse than the stunts UA was playing with 24 hour threshold for refunds and "we didn't cancel your flight, we just rescheduled it to a week from Thursday" early in the pandemic?
I Present to you, the snack box on an Air China Flight from Beijing to Ulaan Bataar. I'm pretty sure the Sandwhich spread was a combination of industrial ash, pig anus, and a little bit of horse semen for flavor.
Nah horse semen is way too expensive.

Anyone have a pic of either of the classic CM "carne o pollo" options?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.