Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Severe Weather (Aug 5, 2022 - Aug 7, 2022)

Travel Waiver: New York / Newark Severe Severe Weather (Aug 5, 2022 - Aug 7, 2022)

Old Aug 5, 22, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: August 4, 2022

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for covered United flights, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window:August 5, 2022 - August 11, 2022

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (not yet posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
EWR is a disaster right now (summer t'storms)

I'm seeing flights that departed the gate 2.5 hours ago still "Departed gate, taxiing to runway" as their status. UA2674 (EWR-LAX) being one of them with a 5:02 gate departure time and it's 7:37pm as I write this.

This is also something you never want to see...EWR has a ground stop "due to other". When you click on that it says the ground stop applies to carrier UAL only and from all ATC centers.

I had several friends departing DCA today all still stuck there and/or rebooked for tomrw due to cancelled flights.

Luckily I don't fly until tomrw afternoon which should hopefully be better. Good luck to all of you out there trying to fly to/from/through the east coast today.

-RM
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
We have a DEN-EWR flight tomorrow. I really hope we make it.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lots of discussion of the ATC issues in Regular evening EWR departure delays Spring / Summer 2022
Markalta likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:51 pm

I flew UA3638 YUL-EWR this morning and we actually arrived early at 12:16. Took NJ Transit train to NY Penn and walked in sunshine to my hotel. No thunderstorm activity in Manhattan; mostly sunny with scattered clouds. This evening, after dinner, the sky was overcast.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:58 pm

not just UAL alaska nonstops as well
Old Aug 5, 22, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
I got stuck in IAD and can not get to EWR in time. missing my flight to CPT. Someone wait-list ed got my seat 1L. Mess of a day.
Old Aug 5, 22, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gabdawg View Post
I got stuck in IAD and can not get to EWR in time. missing my flight to CPT. Someone wait-list ed got my seat 1L. Mess of a day.
2.5 hours Amtrak from DC to EWR
milesmilesmiles likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, UA Gold (1mm),Marriott Plat, AVIS PC, National ExecElite
UA canceled all flights LGA - IAD. No space tomorrow. not one drop of rain in either IAD orLGA. Sure glad Congress gave the airlines $54 billion of your tax dollars
Old Aug 5, 22, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by rjburns View Post
UA canceled all flights LGA - IAD. No space tomorrow. not one drop of rain in either IAD orLGA. Sure glad Congress gave the airlines $54 billion of your tax dollars
This is true -- not a drop in EWR or NYC -- but there were storms that looked like they might make it 100's of miles away - but didn't... I guess the threat of bad weather is just as bad as actual bad weather for US ATC.... I'm guessing the next few days are going to be a replay of today -- no actual bad weather but cancellations like armageddon rained down on the city - just in case....

For the record: Cancellations so far today:

EWR: 287 (+391 delays) United has cancelled 15% (72) of flights and 43% (204) were delayed so far...
JFK: 139
LGA: 325

What a mess....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 5, 22 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by rjburns View Post
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
I flew UA3638 YUL-EWR this morning and we actually arrived early at 12:16. Took NJ Transit train to NY Penn and walked in sunshine to my hotel. No thunderstorm activity in Manhattan; mostly sunny with scattered clouds. This evening, after dinner, the sky was overcast.
The classic, well there's no weather where I'm at or where I'm going, so there's definitely no way it could be weather that was cancelling my flights. Ignores that the plane/crew used for those flights still travels all around the country before showing up to operate your specific flight (if only we could have dedicated planes/crews for every city pair AAA-BBB, that would solve this problem! ). And the decision definitely doesn't need to be made hours ahead of time to start cancelling flights based on forecasted conditions to avoid huge amounts of passengers getting cancelled after arriving at the airport (you think it's bad during IRROPs now, just imagine all the additional people who would be showing up to the airport....)

For reference here's the misery map, probably around 3-4 pm EDT, clearly large line of storms to the west which would be impacting any routes planes flying are going to be able to take. Or since it's slightly obscured, I also provided a radar view from a finalized flight(UA 2306, so the radar is from 522PM EDT).

Also guess the FAA was just bored and came up with 200+ advisories for reroutes, ground stops, ground delay plans, etc yesterday just for fun.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_list...te&Other=Other
wxguy likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Aug 5, 22 at 10:28 pm
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
The classic, well there's no weather where I'm at or where I'm going, so there's definitely no way it could be weather that was cancelling my flights. And the decision definitely doesn't get made hours ahead of time to start cancelling flights based on forecasted conditions to avoid huge amounts of passengers getting cancelled after arriving at the airport (you think it's bad during IRROPs now, just imagine all the additional people who would be showing up to the airport....)

For reference here's the misery map, probably around 3-4 pm EDT, clearly large line of storms to the west which would be impacting any routes planes flying are going to be able to take. Or since it's slightly obscured, I also provided a radar view from a finalized flight(UA 2306, so the radar is from 522PM EDT).

I like the loop that they flew over Western MA.

David
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
I like the loop that they flew over Western MA.

David
Hey now, this flight arrived 4 minutes early to BOS despite all this, they can't let us pesky passengers get to our destination too early. Can you imagine if they didn't do that loop, passengers could have gotten there over 10 minutes early! Or maybe if they didn't decide to go on a sight seeing tour to take a peak at Lake Ontario along the way, it could have been even earlier than that!
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:35 pm

16.5 hours delay

Old Aug 5, 22, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAFAM View Post
16.5 hours delay

Yow!

David

p.s. that might be an airport somewhere...

Search this Thread