Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hidden city ticketed awards on partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Question hidden city ticketed awards on partners

Any way to find hidden city ticketed awards?

Like There is a saver to
A-C (with the layover in B)
But there is no saver availability from A to B (no saver with UA nor on partner)

I saw a few examples like this but don't know where/how to search for them. Expertflyers doesn't seem to have that option.
Are these coming from the partners like that, or do I see these because of the credit card I have with them?

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by avagyan
Expertflyers doesn't seem to have that option.
Probably because it's against the Contract of Carriage for pretty much every airline.
jsloan and JPG3392 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Same rules apply ... don't get caught. Don't check bags. Be ready for issues w/ direct re-routes during irops.

You can use EF to check. AAA via BBB and then you just go through the partner route network. One way to limit is to check for K or P or whichever is the lowest route and use EF. If that is not available there is no chance for X or I.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by avagyan
Any way to find hidden city ticketed awards?

Like There is a saver to
A-C (with the layover in B)
But there is no saver availability from A to B (no saver with UA nor on partner)

I saw a few examples like this but don't know where/how to search for them. Expertflyers doesn't seem to have that option.
Are these coming from the partners like that, or do I see these because of the credit card I have with them?

Thanks
When UA had the "JN" promo to Asia was routed through Europe and less miles than if award to Europe. It is hit and miss (mostly miss) but does happen. Issue becomes if first flight is canceled and rerouted and of course no luggage. If you want to go to a hub it is easier as you can search cities which would normally connect. One look at a time.

Easier to see on airlines that are based there for example LH to Paris for west coast via MUC/FRA. Or AF to Europe via CDG. If you want use UA miles than have to look at *A partners.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Didn't end up getting it, but I wonder... Is there a way to search from AAA to "any" destination? I keep putting random cities, and sometimes something comes up as available.
Also, how do the partners decide what to release? If they release X on AAA-CCC via BBB, isn't supposed to be available for them as AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC (for each partner, in case each leg is a different partner)

Originally Posted by cfischer
You can use EF to check. AAA via BBB
EF doesn't let me leave the destination empty

So I wanted to fly NYC-EVN-NYC. Found the NYC-EVN but no EVN-NYC. Then I thought I can make use of the excursionist perk, and it was available NYC-EVN, EVN-BUD (via VIE and BRU or mix) (free), then BUD-NYC
EVN-BUD I've discovered by chance, by randomly searching different routes, tried many other cities and couldn't find anything
Is there a way of discovering city pairs like that?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:02 pm

Using hidden-city for MP EVA saver award

I have been unsuccessful searching over months for seat availability using a MP 99K business class saver award ticket between LAX & SIN . So, in my trying different destinations beyond SIN which EVA services, I have discovered a few dates open for the MP saver award if I create a routing that utilizes EVA via Taipei AND Singapore to destinations beyond, such as Colombo, Male, etc. As this is just for a one way award ticket, would there be any risk to redeem a partner airline ticket on EVA & SA to a final destination beyond where I intend to disembark? I wouldn’t want any issues with immigration, etc as I disembark in Singapore. I would bring only hand luggage and not check bags. The itinerary I could ticket is LAX-TPE-SIN (all EVA and where I would disembark) and onward to CEY via SA, which I would not utilize. Would UA find out and penalize or cancel my MP account? Again, this is a one-way award redemption, so I don’t see obvious risk in trying this srategy. Am I incorrect in my thinking?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkellyplan
I have been unsuccessful searching over months for seat availability using a MP 99K business class saver award ticket between LAX & SIN . So, in my trying different destinations beyond SIN which EVA services, I have discovered a few dates open for the MP saver award if I create a routing that utilizes EVA via Taipei AND Singapore to destinations beyond, such as Colombo, Male, etc. As this is just for a one way award ticket, would there be any risk to redeem a partner airline ticket on EVA & SA to a final destination beyond where I intend to disembark? I wouldn’t want any issues with immigration, etc as I disembark in Singapore. I would bring only hand luggage and not check bags. The itinerary I could ticket is LAX-TPE-SIN (all EVA and where I would disembark) and onward to CEY via SA, which I would not utilize. Would UA find out and penalize or cancel my MP account? Again, this is a one-way award redemption, so I don’t see obvious risk in trying this srategy. Am I incorrect in my thinking?
if you can book a longer layover in SIN that will help. Should not be an issue w/ immigration in SIN assuming you have all the correct paperwork for it. If you don't make a habit of it then this is minimal risk to take IMHO; UA won't do anything and it is not like you are trying to get a cheaper award or something ... most hidden city tickets are not to get around married segments but to pay less
jkellyplan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
if you can book a longer layover in SIN that will help. Should not be an issue w/ immigration in SIN assuming you have all the correct paperwork for it. If you don't make a habit of it then this is minimal risk to take IMHO; UA won't do anything and it is not like you are trying to get a cheaper award or something ... most hidden city tickets are not to get around married segments but to pay less
The layover in SIN for this proposed route is 10 hrs
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The layover in SIN for this proposed route is 10 hrs
go for it IMHO. BR will be great.
jkellyplan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You will have to have the correct documentation of the ticketed destination country (if required).
jkellyplan likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:47 pm

SFO-SYD award not available but SFO-SYD-BNE is

sorry if this has been addressed before, didn't find anything on a quick search

I'm looking for a business class award SFO-SYD, showing only at 360K points. However, on same day SFO-SYD-BNE routing is available at 200K.

I decided to book it, planning to get off at SYD, carry on luggage only.

I assume the main risk is in case of irrops I am rebooked to BNE via somewhere I don't want, for example TPE or whatever. But in that case would I have to accept the rerouting, could I make an argument I'm meeting someone at SYD for a meeting to try to salvage the itinerary? for example request SFO-LAX-SYD-BNE

Any other pitfalls or advice?

thanks
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'd wager that since you're on a JN award, UA will greatly prefer or be forced to rebook you on their own metal during IRROPS. That said, I'd still try to book as long a "connection" in SYD as possible (overnight would be ideal), both to minimize the odds of IRROPS impacting your "connection" and to strengthen your case for keeping your original routing "via" SYD if you do need to be rebooked.
adlibitum likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by adlibitum
You don't mention if it is a RT or OW...

If the ticket is SFO-SYD-BNE-SYD-SFO and you miss the SYD-BNE, your return will be cancelled.

Other then that... more info can be found here: No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry if this has been addressed before, didn't find anything on a quick search

I'm looking for a business class award SFO-SYD, showing only at 360K points. However, on same day SFO-SYD-BNE routing is available at 200K.

I decided to book it, planning to get off at SYD, carry on luggage only.

I assume the main risk is in case of irrops I am rebooked to BNE via somewhere I don't want, for example TPE or whatever. But in that case would I have to accept the rerouting, could I make an argument I'm meeting someone at SYD for a meeting to try to salvage the itinerary? for example request SFO-LAX-SYD-BNE

thanks
Book it for a day where there is no direct SFO-BNE flight? Just to avoid issues in case of irops. Yeah, have seen the 'connect with VA' options generally pricing at 200k no matter the TPAC
adlibitum likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

thanks
as
One big one, as above, this has to be a OW ticket. I assume you are booking a different return from SIN to SFO (or wherever) separately (on different itinerary). You already mentioned you are going strictly carry on so no baggage issue.
SPN Lifer and adlibitum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.