Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Suggestion for use of new interface
Originally Posted by cfischer
Once I expand at the bottom to 'show all flights' the sort works w/o any issues for me.
Potential workaround, while it lasts
Originally Posted by fumje
To use the old search interface, use this URL to open the old 'advanced' interface and start the search:

Code:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/

If for some reason the interface doesn't work, use this URL template to construct your search manually, replacing all capital letters in the template (ORI = origin code, DES = destination code, YYYY-MM-DD = date, N = number of passengers) :

Code:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/awd?f=ORI&t=DES&d=YYYY-MM-DD&tt=1&st=bestmatches&at=1&rm=1&cbm=-1&cbm2=-1&sc=0&px=N&taxng=1&idx=1

And if you get access denied errors, visit united.com (home page), refresh, then try again.

No guarantees that they keep these available, but enjoy for now.

Another tip: if for some reason the options seem too limited (either old or new interface), try just redoing the search. I have found the number of results sometimes increases the second time trying.
Print Wikipost

Old Award Search Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have learned how to work w/ the new engine. In some ways it is superior than the old one. Was nice to have both available, but the new one will be o.k. IMO
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
I have learned how to work w/ the new engine. In some ways it is superior than the old one. Was nice to have both available, but the new one will be o.k. IMO
Would love to her any insights you have for using the new site effectively and efficiently!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Originally Posted by cricketer
Well that just sucks.

I have no other useful contribution to make to this thread, much like UA's tech team (who are amongst the best if not the best in the industry) apparently have none to make to the award booking engine. It's almost as if they don't want me to be able to use my miles effectively...
With all the miles out there built up over the last few years of diminished travel and signup bonuses, one might conclude that UA does want award-seekers (especially less sophisticated ones) to only see high-priced awards in the initial results chart and to book those. That is in addition to having a general escalation in award pricing.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To use the old search interface, use this URL to open the old 'advanced' interface and start the search:
Code:
If for some reason the interface doesn't work, use this URL template to construct your search manually, replacing all capital letters in the template (ORI = origin code, DES = destination code, YYYY-MM-DD = date, N = number of passengers) :
Code:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/flight-search/book-a-flight/results/awd?f=ORI&t=DES&d=YYYY-MM-DD&tt=1&st=bestmatches&at=1&rm=1&cbm=-1&cbm2=-1&sc=0&px=N&taxng=1&idx=1
And if you get access denied errors, visit united.com (home page), refresh, then try again.

Another tip: if for some reason the options seem too limited (either old or new interface), try just redoing the search. I have found the number of results sometimes increases the second time trying.
SPN Lifer, beltway, stanj and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status

Code:

Code:

Thank you so much! First url worked for me, let's hope it holds. The new search engine has been driving me crazy.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jh6000
Would love to her any insights you have for using the new site effectively and efficiently!
The new search has better sorting than the old one and better ways to avoid displaying mixed cabin itineraries. There are more clicks and you do need to expand the flights at the bottom of the page. Once you know that it doesn't take that much time IMO and I have enjoyed getting more accurate results w/ new vs. old.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Old style award search (via advance routing) now dead?

It seemed to stop showing up sometime in the last few days. All searches will now give me the new, significantly worse UI. Who would want to quickly sort by price anyways without lots of extra clicks and more loading, right?
jh6000 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2022 at 10:01 am Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:38 am

The new search has better sorting than the old one
That has not been my experience. Trying to sort J awards by price has proven to be an exercise in futility, at least for me.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beltway
That has not been my experience. Trying to sort J awards by price has proven to be an exercise in futility, at least for me.
me too. I’d like to know what I am doing wrong!
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
One of the things that has helped make the filtering more accurate is to scroll down to the bottom of the list of flights and pressing "Show all flights". I find that the 7 day calendar may show lower-costing flights that are filtered out of the initial results list.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
One of the things that has helped make the filtering more accurate is to scroll down to the bottom of the list of flights and pressing "Show all flights". I find that the 7 day calendar may show lower-costing flights that are filtered out of the initial results list.
Thanks. This did surface the results I couldn't see during some searching early this morning. Useful to know in case the old interface ever goes away entirely, but I stand by my statement that the new search filtering/sorting is materially worse in certain respects. If the 7- or 30-day calendar is showing a given price, then sorting by price really needs to display that price/itinerary with zero extra hoop-jumping by the user.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott

Code:

Code:

Thanks! It is helpful
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
me too. I’d like to know what I am doing wrong!
Once I expand at the bottom to 'show all flights' the sort works w/o any issues for me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
What annoys me most about the new search is that you can not sort by column by clicking on the column heads. It was so nice to sort by business on the old search and to have the separate saver category (it became "mixed").
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
The inability to toggle the new award calendar between nonstop and connecting pricing is infuriating.
higher_flyer and MatthewLAX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.