FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   When does the (physical) UC membership card arrive after Club credit card approval? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2089364-when-does-physical-uc-membership-card-arrive-after-club-credit-card-approval.html)

g289t Aug 2, 2022 1:18 pm

When does the (physical) UC membership card arrive after Club credit card approval?

Today I was approved for the United Club Business credit card. I have a trip planned in early September, and I'd like to have the United Club lounge card in hand so I have the option of visiting a Maple Leaf lounge. The Club membership card already appeared in my United account, but from what I understand the MLL will probably require the physical United Club card.

How soon does the Club card usually show up in real life? Documentation says 4 - 6 weeks. If it's on the earlier end of that, I'm good. If it stretches to 6 weeks, it might not arrive in time for my trip.

Is there any benefit in calling and asking for expedited processing and shipping?

CaptJOB Aug 2, 2022 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by g289t (Post 34480595)

How soon does the Club card usually show up in real life? Documentation says 4 - 6 weeks. If it's on the earlier end of that, I'm good. If it stretches to 6 weeks, it might not arrive in time for my trip.

I got the personal Club credit card a few months ago and never received the physical United Club membership card. Didn't think they issued one. Imagine the credit card in conjunction with the app will be good enough... I could be wrong though.

Dr Jabadski Aug 2, 2022 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by g289t (Post 34480595)
... United Club lounge card ...

I don’t believe there are physical hard-copy-plastic UA Club membership cards anymore. I got the personal Club credit card 2 years ago and the biz Club credit card 10 months ago, never received a physical Club membership card and never a problem getting into a UA Club in 20-25 visits. It’s linked to your UA MP account number and thus your boarding pass, club entry (including the LGA MLL) quickly upon scanning boarding pass.

(FWIW, IME of several visits at about the same time, usually breakfast time, the refreshments in the LGA UA Club lounge are much nicer than the LGA MLL. LGA Centurion lounge refreshments are different but on par with UA.)

time_stamp Aug 3, 2022 6:46 pm

The last physical card I got was two years ago. It used to be required for Star Alliance lounges (non-UA.) I noticed the app version of the card has the Star Alliance symbol on it now, so I assume the physical card isn't needed anymore.

It's possible you can still request one. I'd try doing that if you will mostly be using it in non-UA clubs.

g289t Aug 3, 2022 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by CaptJOB (Post 34481329)
I got the personal Club credit card a few months ago and never received the physical United Club membership card. Didn't think they issued one.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 34481531)
I don’t believe there are physical hard-copy-plastic UA Club membership cards anymore. I got the personal Club credit card 2 years ago and the biz Club credit card 10 months ago, never received a physical Club membership card and never a problem getting into a UA Club in 20-25 visits. It’s linked to your UA MP account number and thus your boarding pass, club entry (including the LGA MLL) quickly upon scanning boarding pass.

Originally Posted by time_stamp (Post 34484188)
The last physical card I got was two years ago. It used to be required for Star Alliance lounges (non-UA.) I noticed the app version of the card has the Star Alliance symbol on it now, so I assume the physical card isn't needed anymore.

These are good DPs; thank you very much! I had asked about this a few months ago in the mega thread, when I was still considering getting a Club card. What I was told there is that the physical United Club card was needed to get into a Star Alliance (non UA Club) lounge.

The United Club member pass showed up in my United profile within a few minutes of being approved for the credit card. It does indeed have the Star Alliance logo on it, so it should be good for Star Alliance lounge entry. My wife and I are flying Air Canada in a couple months. We'll be in YVR, YYC, and YYZ. MLL will be our only lounge options (besides whatever Priority Pass lounges are available), so I am hoping for no issues.

Again, thank you all very much!

Here is a redacted screenshot of the UC pass in the United app:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ca9d3de4f6.jpg

​​​​​​​

g289t Aug 3, 2022 10:50 pm

It’s linked to your UA MP account number and thus your boarding pass, club entry (including the LGA MLL) quickly upon scanning boarding pass.

In a couple months my wife and I will be traveling with Air Canada. It is on AC metal booked on aircanada.com, with my AC number attached because they're award tickets. There is no connection at all to my UA member status. I guess the UC member pass in the app should suffice to get us into the MLL lounges, along with the boarding passes of course. Is that correct?

Dr Jabadski Aug 3, 2022 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by g289t (Post 34484574)
... Is that correct?

Sorry, I cannot answer the question.

mia Aug 4, 2022 6:27 am

Moderator action

Thread transferred from Chase to UA forum, because lounge credentials are issued and recognized by the airline -and- because there are more United Club members active in the UA forum.

rittenhousesq Aug 4, 2022 6:35 am

United pretty much does not issue any physical cards anymore. All your cards are on the United App, and can also be added to your wallet on your iPhone if you have one.

ARR72 Aug 4, 2022 6:40 am

I have a current card, received either early this year or late last year with a current expiration of January 2023. I was asked to present it at the Cdg mll in august 2021 before I was allowed entry. Just another DP.

WineCountryUA Aug 4, 2022 10:20 am

While UA stopped issuing physical elite cards over recent years, I have a physical UAC (expiring at the end of this month), so in the last year physical UC cards were issued.

Unitedloyalflyer Aug 4, 2022 11:00 am

(FWIW, IME of several visits at about the same time, usually breakfast time, the refreshments in the LGA UA Club lounge are much nicer than the LGA MLL. LGA Centurion lounge refreshments are different but on par with UA.)

Got the Club Card late last year. I was sent a physical UC card as well

maradori Aug 4, 2022 11:18 am

Data point - I applied for the United Club visa around beginning of April this year. Received the physical Club membership card around middle of May

I received an email from United News & Deals <[email protected]> with the subject "How your UnitedClub membership works" on Apr 13, and within the contents of the email, it says "We’ll also send a physical membership card in the next eight weeks for you to use when visiting Star Alliance™ partner lounges."

time_stamp Aug 4, 2022 12:19 pm

I said earlier that I hadn't received a physical card in a couple years, but my last card only expired in April so I've only been without a valid UA membership card for about 4 months. But I also noticed that my expiration also went from being valid until the end of March to being valid until the end of July so it's possible that I may still receive a card for this year.

Dr Jabadski Aug 4, 2022 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72 (Post 34485220)
I have a current card, received either early this year or late last year with a current expiration of January 2023. …

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post 34486026)
Got the Club Card late last year. I was sent a physical UC card as well

Originally Posted by maradori (Post 34486094)
… applied for the United Club visa around beginning of April this year. Received the physical Club membership card around middle of May …

Anyone know how to obtain a card? If so, please share. (I looked on the website, couldn’t find anything.) Thank you.

Being the masochist that I am I decided to call UA to request a card. Requested “account servicing”, 10 minutes elevator music, of course connected to reservations, asked agent to confirm Club membership (as a way of confirming that she could see that information), she confirmed stating expiration 2/28/23, requested card, 2 minute hold, agent said I must speak with “account servicing”, transferred, 5 minutes elevator music, played 20 questions again, agent verified Club membership expiring 2/28/23, requested card, agent said I must speak with “club department”, transferred, 10 minutes elevator music, asked agent to verify expiration date, she did, requested a card, agent said they do NOT mail cards anymore to Golds and higher because they don’t need a card, asked if that could be overridden, “no”. As the expression goes “half an hour of my life that I can never get back again.”😊