Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best options from NYC to SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:03 am

what about BR now that you can connect in TPE again?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:17 am
Suspended

THE ROOM
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
THE ROOM
Yes -- to me this is the #1 J seat / experience operating today -- and it does fly from JFK to TYO -- and is my (Japanese) wife's preference of course....

For OP -- this is the new J class seat on the JFK - Tokyo route by ANA -- and it's amazing.
SPN Lifer, HNL1K, lsquare and 1 others like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 1, 2022 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by desafino
what about BR now that you can connect in TPE again?
Same accruals issue as SQ.

The NH flights can be put on 016 stock, the BR cannot (at least not at anything below full fare).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

How do you find the SQ metal when searching on United? If I just do a United search for SFO to SIN, that SQ31 does not show up.

That would be ideal though. Better plane, combined with the 016 ticket for earnings.

You're right, when I say codeshare, I really mean is the SQ flight bookable as a United ticket 016. The SIN-EWR or SIN-JFK are not. Interestingly, Google Flights found me a United ticket SQ metal SFO-SIN flight that for some reason I cannot find on United.com itself.

Will look into the NA flights for sure. I am trying to decide if I think Global Services is in reach this year with a bunch of international work trips planned. If so, going to try and stick on UA metal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2022 at 12:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
How do you find the SQ metal when searching on United? If I just do a United search for SFO to SIN, that SQ31 does not show up.
You don't. You can't.

Maybe you could get it ticketed by calling, but only at full fare. So, something like $20K RT or thereabouts.
lsquare and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You don't. You can't.

Maybe you could get it ticketed by calling, but only at full fare. So, something like $20K RT or thereabouts.
+1 - ANA is UA's "JV" partner on flights to / form Asia -- SQ makes it VERY hard / impossible to ticket as you've seen.
jsloan and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

That would be ideal though. Better plane, combined with the 016 ticket for earnings.
SQ has made it difficult for UA (and others) to sell seats on SQ's long haul / ULH flights. It is called plating restrictions. BR does similar restrictions.

For now the only solution is the recent SQ/UA codeshare agreement , mostly intra-Asia flights to unserved UA destinations. Maybe some day longer haul flights? But will not hold my breadth
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SQ has made it difficult for UA (and others) to sell seats on SQ's long haul / ULH flights. It is called plating restrictions. BR does similar restrictions.
Right, as I mentioned in post #8. You can't buy an SQ fare on a UA ticket because SQ doesn't allow it. You can't fly SQ metal on a UA fare because UA doesn't allow it.

Put another way: they're competitors. UA wants you to fly them (or their JV partner, ANA), not SQ. Therefore, they incentivize you to fly UA/NH, not SQ.

If you would like full credit for EWR/SIN, KrisFlyer may be better suited for you.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you would like full credit for EWR/SIN, KrisFlyer may be better suited for you.
Earnings won't be a whole let better there, it's not a particularly generous program. I typically credit my SQ flights to AS.

If OP has a realistic shot at GS that's a legit reason to fly UA metal.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:34 pm

You're right, when I say codeshare, I really mean is the SQ flight bookable as a United ticket 016. The SIN-EWR or SIN-JFK are not. Interestingly, Google Flights found me a United ticket SQ metal SFO-SIN flight that for some reason I cannot find on United.com itself.

Will look into the NA flights for sure. I am trying to decide if I think Global Services is in reach this year with a bunch of international work trips planned. If so, going to try and stick on UA metal.
If GS is the goal -- stick with 100% UA metal -- as codeshares -- even with UA flight numbers -- do NOT count for UA GS -- they do for status levels below that -- but when they extend invitations for GS they look at your UA spend only. EWR is also a fairly competitive hub for GS -- check out the GS thread to get an idea of what it takes -- but for a first timer coming out of the pandemic if you aren't spending at least $40k on UA I think the chances are slim....
jsloan, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's surprising that that combination was allowed, honestly, unless it was a grotesquely expensive ticket. It's not surprising that it's not on United.com -- Google Flights' search engine is better, for one thing, and United actively suppresses competing flights that it could sell, for another. That is, just because UA can sell a particular flight does not mean that you can find it on United.com, or even by calling. A travel agent may be able to give you more options, but they can't override the plating / combination rules.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:08 pm

It's surprising that that combination was allowed, honestly, unless it was a grotesquely expensive ticket.
If this is the itinerary another poster linked, the ticket was $22k, one-way. Full J.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If this is the itinerary another poster linked, the ticket was $22k, one-way. Full J.
Which is amazingly just about double what the direct price would be if you booked direct with SQ..... Seems some airlines share better than others....
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I’m at ~$20k UA metal PQD right now with trips to Brazil, Switzerland, and Singapore planned. Brazil and Switzerland will definitely be UA metal, easy overnight flights. Those are each about $8k RT, so that’s another $16k.. To Singapore its so tough because Polaris is far inferior to some of the APAC airline options. I may do what I did last time which was UA one way, direct SQ back just to get a little taste of both. Plus the SQ lounge in SIN is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.