Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking 016 on Hawaiian Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
this is exactly part of the reason that I am asking - as WC pasted from the UA website and somewhat unclear from the HA site - the logic is unclear whether it is "AND" or a "OR"
It makes sense (like everything the airlines do these days) that only intra-island flights on HA count (like SFO-HLN on UA and then HLN-OGG, for example, somehow booked as 016 - but can you book OGG-HLN-OGG on 016 or just trust HA to enter your UA FF#?), but I got the impression (and hence the question) that much like I can book a flight to FRA on LH metal but get a 016 ticket - and "credit" with UA, I was wondering about the same for HA flights to/from the west coast to the island...even though it sounds like UA will allow you to use miles to book them - it appears (and from the discussions above) that you cant use $$$ to book them?

after all, if it was all simple, then FT would not need to exist - except for complaining......
-m
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
Agreed, the rules on the website are very confusing. Codeshare, but then the website lists non-016 tickets along with a table listing fare classes and award mile earnings. How could United issue a codeshare on HA on a non-016 ticket?
UA wouldn't. But another operator could -- for example, LH would have access to UA codeshares on those flights if they were selling someone a UA fare plated on an LH ticket. It probably wouldn't come up frequently, but such a ticket could certainly be issued.

Originally Posted by mfirst
this is exactly part of the reason that I am asking - as WC pasted from the UA website and somewhat unclear from the HA site - the logic is unclear whether it is "AND" or a "OR"
It doesn't matter if it's an AND or an OR for what you're trying to do. It will not be possible to get UA credit for the flights you're trying to get.

even though it sounds like UA will allow you to use miles to book them - it appears (and from the discussions above) that you cant use $$$ to book them?
While I suppose this is possible, I've never seen HA metal awards for flights over the water. That rule is also intended for inter-island travel.

HA is a weird beast -- they're the primary provider of inter-island travel, which makes them a natural partner for all of the majors. But they're also a competitor on flights to the mainland. The FF rules are all designed to take that into account.

This much is clear:

1 - Booking on a 016 ticket does not make an otherwise-ineligible flight eligible. For example, I flew a Widerře segment on a 016 ticket recently. It did not earn MileagePlus miles (nor did I expect that it would).
2 - UA does not codeshare on longhaul HA flights. The only UA codeshares are inter-island flights.

Therefore, whether the requirements are AND or OR, there is no way to get MileagePlus credit for HA flights to the mainland. Not Premier-qualifying; not non-Premier-qualifying. The flights are not eligible.
TerryK and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 31, 2022 at 5:40 pm Reason: got eligible and ineligible backwards
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I was wondering about the same for HA flights to/from the west coast to the island...even though it sounds like UA will allow you to use miles to book them...
I'm not sure where you get the impression you can book a HA flight from the West Coast to Hawaii using UA miles. That is 100% false. And if HA allowed mileage redemptions between Hawaii and the West Coast, I might have redeemed some during the pandemic period when UA pulled completely out of Hawaii. I had to buy the HA tickets. And if HA provided FF credit between Hawaii and the West Coast, believe me, I would know. It is pretty simple - UA's partnership w/ HA only exists between the islands. There are no hacks/workarounds.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 31, 2022 at 4:43 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

A quick search shows what others have suggested - you can book, with miles, flights to from the islands that involve HA, but the over water to mainland appears to be restricted to UA metal with intra-island HA options.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A quick search shows what others have suggested - you can book, with miles, flights to from the islands that involve HA, but the over water to mainland appears to be restricted to UA metal with intra-island HA options.
Correct. It's always been that way.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
And getting credit for those inter island flights is like pulling teeth. Booked a one way KOA-HNL several months ago; it took a good month of back and forth until finally a competent MileagePlus agent gave me credit for it. Required me attaching a pdf of the rules from the website, highlighted in Adobe Pro.
I'm flying ITO-HNL soon on a Hawaiian Y fare of all things. It is not a 016 ticket but I believe the website, despite being confusing, should allow me UA miles. Why would they have a chart for a non-016 ticket? I tried to see if United.com would spit that flight out and it did not.

Hawaiian's website/IT is dreadful (I know we complain about United's...), and appears no place to put a partner FF number. Do people have an agent enter it on the phone or at the airport?

Sounded like sannmann needed to actually go to UA CS to get the small number of miles credit. Clearly it is allowed or they would have denied it.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'm flying ITO-HNL soon on a Hawaiian Y fare of all things. It is not a 016 ticket but I believe the website, despite being confusing, should allow me UA miles.
I don’t.

Why would they have a chart for a non-016 ticket?
As discussed, because other partners may want to sell those UA-coded, HA-operated flights. For example,LH might sell a ticket from FRA to ITO via SFO and HNL, using a UA code for HNL-ITO.

Hawaiian's website/IT is dreadful (I know we complain about United's...), and appears no place to put a partner FF number. Do people have an agent enter it on the phone or at the airport?
People put it in directly on the booking they make with the OAL, since those are the cases where it’s definitely allowed.

Sounded like sannmann needed to actually go to UA CS to get the small number of miles credit. Clearly it is allowed or they would have denied it.
No, it’s not clear at all. It may be that UA decided it wasn’t worth the fight, or that the CS agent was sufficiently confused, because the wording is ambiguous.

I continue to believe that they’re not eligible, despite the result that sannmann posted. You’re welcome to try; please report your findings back. Perhaps if UA gets enough requests for credit, they’ll clarify the wording on the website.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll see if I can get credit for ~216 miles after the one-way I'll be taking soon.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm flying ITO-HNL soon on a Hawaiian Y fare of all things. It is not a 016 ticket but I believe the website, despite being confusing, should allow me UA miles. Why would they have a chart for a non-016 ticket? I tried to see if United.com would spit that flight out and it did not.
The UA website in my opinion makes it clear it has to be booked as codeshare with a UA flight number.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The UA website in my opinion makes it clear it has to be booked as codeshare with a UA flight number.
Which, of course, is not possible if not booked on a 016 ticket. Meanwhile, United.com provides a table listing earnings for non-016 tickets on HA.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Which, of course, is not possible if not booked on a 016 ticket. Meanwhile, United.com provides a table listing earnings for non-016 tickets on HA.
And in broken english states
Otherwise, you should reference the Ticket number does not start with 016. footnote4 You'll earn miles based on flight distance footnote5 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown. footnote6
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of repeating myself yet again, it is 100% possible to book a UA codeshare of an HA interisland flight on a non-016 ticket, and I have twice given the exact scenario in which this would happen. I understand that you believe you were correct when you pushed UA to credit you for your flight, but your logic here is flawed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: Independent
I'll see if I can get credit for ~216 miles after the one-way I'll be taking soon.
Any success? I flew a non-codeshare interisland one-way that I feel I might as well request retroactive credit for with a program. I assume United is not the one, though.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkcj
Any success? I flew a non-codeshare interisland one-way that I feel I might as well request retroactive credit for with a program. I assume United is not the one, though.
Definitely no success. I didn't bother after the first decline email from customer service.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:46 am
Original Poster

I have flown on HA several times this year between islands as I was coming back from the mainland on UA 016 And I never recall getting any MP credits for any of the flights. United kept saying I needed to wait and deal with Hawaiian and Hawaiian just ignored me. I am sure this will get much easier when they merge with Alaskan /s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.