Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA or SQ from San Francisco to Singapore?

UA or SQ from San Francisco to Singapore?

Old Jul 30, 22, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
I don't think you mentioned dates, but have you tried pricing this on ANA? I'm getting UA Polaris flights on this route at far lower (non refundable) fares.
I didn't see the nonstop UA Polaris flights on ANAs website when I just searched (departing within a few days of Oct 13, return Oct 23.) I just saw flights with connections, where one leg is on ANA. I looked for a setting to show partner flights, but didn't see it. But I might have missed it. The prices on .bomb match the prices on Google flights, for what that's worth. Also, if I'm flying UA, I want an 016 ticket.

I've decided on the UA 1 nonstop outbound. Price is good and it gets me there without a hitch. It does look like I could save about $1200 by booking the return on ANA or Eva, with a stop, or SQ nonstop. ANA's time's don't work well: the only reasonable connection I see leaves SIN at 6:10 am, which is too early. And those flights don't appear to have "the Room" seats anyway. Eva's flight times and connections do look like they could work. SQ would let me try out their polarizing (non-Polaris) product, though giving up PQPs and about 35000 (net) RDMs.

Last edited by lancelot21; Jul 30, 22 at 9:07 am Reason: Added SQ, which also saves some money; and added that I'll take UA outbound
Old Jul 30, 22, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
I didn't see the nonstop UA Polaris flights on ANAs website when I just searched (departing within a few days of Oct 13, return Oct 23.) I just saw flights with connections, where one leg is on ANA. I looked for a setting to show partner flights, but didn't see it. But I might have missed it. The prices on .bomb match the prices on Google flights, for what that's worth. Also, if I'm flying UA, I want an 016 ticket.

I've decided on the UA 1 nonstop outbound. Price is good and it gets me there without a hitch. It does look like I could save about $1200 by booking the return on ANA or Eva, with a stop, or SQ nonstop. ANA's time's don't work well: the only reasonable connection I see leaves SIN at 6:10 am, which is too early. And those flights don't appear to have "the Room" seats anyway. Eva's flight times and connections do look like they could work. SQ would let me try out their polarizing (non-Polaris) product, though giving up PQPs and about 35000 (net) RDMs.
I agree. I really don't like NH's departure time out of SIN. Way too early for my liking.
lancelot21 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
SQ lounge in TPE is closed still and BR lounge in TPE is definitely at a service level much lower than pre-COVID. Don't recommend making a decision based on TPE lounges at all.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
Four years ago, I would have looked much more favorably upon taking connecting itinerary (e.g., to try a new product or lounge or whatnot) when a nonstop was available. Now? Unless you're traveling immediately, there's no way to know what the situation might look like for connecting flights by the time you're getting on a plane. NRT might be open for connecting traffic today, but it could easily close tomorrow, and that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I'd take SQ or UA -- and despite the fact that, as I wrote, I didn't care for the SQ seat at all, for a $1200 savings, I'd fly SQ.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Four years ago, I would have looked much more favorably upon taking connecting itinerary (e.g., to try a new product or lounge or whatnot) when a nonstop was available. Now? Unless you're traveling immediately, there's no way to know what the situation might look like for connecting flights by the time you're getting on a plane. NRT might be open for connecting traffic today, but it could easily close tomorrow, and that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I'd take SQ or UA -- and despite the fact that, as I wrote, I didn't care for the SQ seat at all, for a $1200 savings, I'd fly SQ.
When was NRT last closed to connecting traffic? Two years ago?
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
iEVA has excellent food all around. the lounge food selection is fantastic, a high point IMO
BR's TPE lounges are on par with OZ/KE's offerings at ICN. That is not a compliment.

Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
ANA lounges have excellent sushi of course. It just depends what you are into. I didn't really care much for the ANA Haneda lounge, over-crowded, not a great selection of food, and seating was uncomfortable.
I don't think the NH lounges are anything special, at either NRT or HND. At NRT, I prefer the UC. But the TPE BR lounges are worse IMO. Super crowded, very few showers, and I found the food unappealing.
Boraxo and wpcoe like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
I love Japan as much as the next person but no way I would take a connection these days - with all the inherent risks - if a nonstop is available. Adding more hours to a 15hr trip is also not appealing. Plus you wont be able to do my favorite thing which is to pop into Tokyo for sushi.

Agree with most of the comments - if you need PQP then the UA flight seems like a no brainer. Even if you dont the 75k RDM is a significant sweetener.

SQ food and service are stellar, and would be my first choice if thats your primary consideration. But Im typically skipping meals now on the CIA jetlag diet.

Search this Thread