Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA or SQ from San Francisco to Singapore?

UA or SQ from San Francisco to Singapore?

Old Jul 29, 22, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
NH better hard product with The Room.

JL has the edge everywhere else.
I don't agree. Don't care for JL J food at all and I find NH service is also better in J. While I love JL F, I'm not much of a fan at all of their J product.

For me personally, NH is the best overall J product in the world. This includes QR.
lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't agree. Don't care for JL J food at all and I find NH service is also better in J. While I love JL F, I'm not much of a fan at all of their J product.

For me personally, NH is the best overall J product in the world. This includes QR.
The ability to order via IFE from the anytime menu in J, which is more extensive than NHs, offering multi course anytime meals is a huge deal to me on a 12 hour plus flight.

So much easier to choose a drink and have it quietly delivered in a darkened cabin than have to summon a flight attendant first and have a conversation.

Of course JL ends cabin service ridiculously early vs NH.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 3:42 pm
Suspended

NH also has routing via Haneda to Singapore, avoiding the crowded lounge in Narita.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
Pre-covid at least, I think BR had the best *A product on this route. I've enjoyed my BR J TPACs more than NH/OZ F tbh - it's a really fantastic product.

Not sure if they've scaled back the product with covid (definitely recommend further research on that topic), but SFO-TPE seems to connect nicely to TPE-SIN in both directions, and I know Taiwan has reopened to transfers again.
Another vote for BR. NH is really good as well but the end to end experience with BR, book the cook etc. is really good. I'm a fan.
ll22949 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
I had thought there was no way it made sense to buy one-ways for international flights, because it has always looked crazy when I've looked in the past. But at present, on at least some days, it turns out to actually save money! (Prices have moved around a lot in the past week...mostly lower, which is good.)

Given the diversity of views in this thread, I might be able to split airlines--e.g., UA one way, SQ the other. Would prefer nonstop outbound, would consider a connection coming back. But having trouble finding a return on NH that has an acceptable layover. But I'll keep looking.
Glad this tip may work out in your favor!

I just took Polaris back SIN-SFO last week. A good chunk of the flight time being asleep, ready to hit the ground running in SF in the AM

. Which is why I personally go for the miles grab, slippers, PJs (SQ doesnt offer), mattress pad and gel pillow on UA. Plenty of great food awaits at either destination anyway.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 5:08 pm
Suspended

I'd suggest watching a few of the more recent youtube SQ flight reviews.

Underwhelming soft product impressions were enough to put me off.
Old Jul 29, 22, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Glad this tip [one ways] may work out in your favor!
Yes, it does work! Surprisingly, on the days I am looking at flying (with some flexibility on outbound days, not so much on return), it is $1800 cheaper (!) to book Polaris as two one-ways on UA than to book the exact same flights as a round trip. And I get more RDMs (because the round-trip hits the cap).

Interestingly, the return (SIN-SFO) is fully refundable (UA2). The refundable one-way fare is the cheapest business class fare (booked in refundable D). The total round trip, at around $7700, compares to about $9500 if I book as round trip. (Obviously, any comparison depends on the exact days of travel.) These are both around half or less of what they were a week ago, when fares were shockingly high (and almost no J seats were booked.)

So I went ahead and booked both UA one-ways. Given that I can refund my return UA flight, and based on some of the comments in the thread, I may still consider EVA (BR) for the return. The timing is actually a little better for me, since it leaves after noon rather than at 8:45 am :-) That said, it's not a refundable ticket, and requires a transfer in Taipei, so I have to think further about it, even though it would actually save a bit of money. The NH scheduling doesn't work as well for the return, with either early departures or long layover times. So NH is out, even though many in the thread are quite high on it.

The SQ evening nonstop return might also work, but views are so polarized that I probably won't do that one. That said, the argument for taking SQ is that if I take their return flight, I'll have strong views of my own so I can weigh in authoritatively on FT in the future :-).

I will say, I think this thread is incredibly valuable not just to me, with my specific issue, but for anyone flying trans-pacific and wanting views on the merits of different airlines.

Last edited by lancelot21; Jul 29, 22 at 10:37 pm Reason: Emoji was misprinted as "Smile".Replaced with the old-school :-) And clarified why I get more RDMs,
Old Jul 29, 22, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
based on some of the comments in the thread, I may still consider EVA (BR) for the return.
I find BR overrated. Seat is fine, it's the standard Cirrus reverse herringbone. Food is a bit meh in my experience and service is hit or miss. The TPE lounges are subpar. I suspect some rate BR highly due mostly to the generous pours of vintage champagne.
Old Jul 29, 22, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I find BR overrated. Seat is fine, it's the standard Cirrus reverse herringbone. Food is a bit meh in my experience and service is hit or miss. The TPE lounges are subpar. I suspect some rate BR highly due mostly to the generous pours of vintage champagne.
BR has Hello Kitty planes (though service is suspended still). But I agree, I rather do a TYO stopover than TPE stopover.
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Food can be subjective.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:09 pm
Suspended

I don't think you mentioned dates, but have you tried pricing this on ANA? I'm getting UA Polaris flights on this route at far lower (non refundable) fares.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 53) View Post
The TPE lounges are subpar. I suspect some rate BR highly due mostly to the generous pours of vintage champagne.
I enjoyed a delicious brunch at the SQ SilverKris Lounge at TPE in late February 2020.

From discussion of the SFO United Clubs & Centurion Lounge, I recognize that my standards are less meticulous than yours, but I highly doubt anyone would have found the food offerings that day in TPE to have been "subpar".
prestonh, lsquare and truncated like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I vote UA.

I flew SFO-SIN-SFO on UA1 and UA2 in April in Premium Plus. Service was fantastic both ways. YMMV, of course.
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boat stuck View Post
I vote UA.

I flew SFO-SIN-SFO on UA1 and UA2 in April in Premium Plus. Service was fantastic both ways. YMMV, of course.
Even the soft product in PremPlus is quite good. My upgrade failed SFO-NRT last month so I experienced it. Zero complaints, pleasantly surprised in fact.

The OP of course is looking at paid Biz class though
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
i found the ANA service hit/miss. EVA has excellent food all around. the lounge food selection is fantastic, a high point IMO and their customer service in the lounges is amazing. ANA lounges have excellent sushi of course. It just depends what you are into. I didn't really care much for the ANA Haneda lounge, over-crowded, not a great selection of food, and seating was uncomfortable.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread