CHASE Travel Portal For UA flights

Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM
Chase travel portal and avoiding basic economy

For those of you who have the CSP card and are tyring to use the points there to purchase a revenue ticket... what is the trick of avoiding the LIGHT fares TATL?

I can select "refundable", but that's not what I want.

I thought there used to be a way to identify basic economy and tell it, regular economy please.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554
For those of you who have the CSP card and are tyring to use the points there to purchase a revenue ticket... what is the trick of avoiding the LIGHT fares TATL?

I can select "refundable", but that's not what I want.

I thought there used to be a way to identify basic economy and tell it, regular economy please.

Thanks!
On the final checkout page it should give an option to select reg fare
Meaning select basic fare and then change to non basic at check out.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
On the final checkout page it should give an option to select reg fare
Meaning select basic fare and then change to non basic at check out.
I should point out that this is limited to multi-city search. Which, if the portal would give me the flights I wanted, I woudlnt' have to use. Seems to be a bug, since I don't get the option to change to the regular fare. Any workarounds vs. having to call?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
I should point out that this is limited to multi-city search. Which, if the portal would give me the flights I wanted, I woudlnt' have to use. Seems to be a bug, since I don't get the option to change to the regular fare. Any workarounds vs. having to call?
And at least pre-covid, was the same for me on United's own search. With limited exceptions, to get the connections I wanted, I almost always had to search multi-city, since there were often multiple standard connecting itineraries missing that should have been there. I've always wondered how many people ended up booking sub-optimal connections for them, or other carriers, not because the better ones didn't exist, but the website just didn't show them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:36 am

Question Changing United Flight Booked through Chase

Hi everyone - I learned my lessons about not booking directly with an airline. Looking for some insight for any possible solutions to an interesting United rule I wasn't aware of. Here is what happened:
  1. Booked a one-way flight through Chase for October honeymoon domestic travel on United. I do not normally book through Chase.
  2. The fare dropped significantly and like I would typically do, I tried to rebook the flight at the lower fare and receive a credit.
  3. Apparently, if you book through one of the online "Travel Agents", you can not receive a fare difference if you change your flight.
  4. I've tried multiple ways to get the system to allow for a price difference credit:
    1. Conferenced with Chase, United Rep so they would take over the ticket (so I could do flight change on United website and receive travel credit). United would not take over the ticket.
    2. Cancelled ticket and rebook with new credit. Doesn't work as they only issue Future Flight Credits and not your normal travel credit.
    3. Called United and had them re-issue the ticket after I cancelled on Chase. I thought this would work but it still gives me the "You purchased this ticket through a third-party agency, so we encourage you to contact the original ticketing agency to make changes. " and only allow future flight credits.
Any ideas?

It appears that it will allow me to switch to a refundable economy ticket but with no fare difference. Is it possible to rebook with the refundable economy ticket and then request a refund on the new ticket? Then I could rebook the flight directly on United's website at the lower price?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. Jdbailey710

Correct, if you purchase from a TA/OTA they set the fees and policy, not UA.

UA has traditionally charged a fee to take over a ticket and many OTAs have told UA not do

How much money are we talking about?

Do you have a ticket anymore or just a credit?

Who is your credit with Chase or UA? Sounds like Chase.

Originally Posted by Jdbailey710
It appears that it will allow me to switch to a refundable economy ticket but with no fare difference. Is it possible to rebook with the refundable economy ticket and then request a refund on the new ticket? Then I could rebook the flight directly on United's website at the lower price?
No
Making a non-refundable flight credit refundable? (Can not do)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!. Jdbailey710

Correct, if you purchase from a TA/OTA they set the fees and policy, not UA.

UA has traditionally charged a fee to take over a ticket and many OTAs have told UA not do

How much money are we talking about?

Do you have a ticket anymore or just a credit?

Who is your credit with Chase or UA? Sounds like Chase.

No
Thanks! United re-issued the cancelled ticket for a $50 fee and applied the future flight credit. It was the same class/price as originally booked so it was a wash except I paid a $50 fee. I asked multiple times if by re-issuing the ticket, they were taking over the ticket from Chase and she said yes. However, I guess the rules of the original ticket still apply because it's still doing the future flight credit when I attempt to re-book online rather than receive the travel certificate for the price difference. It's a $400 price difference.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jdbailey710
... it's still doing the future flight credit when I attempt to re-book online rather than receive the travel certificate for the price difference. ...
FFC is the travel credit / cert.

UA will not permit a FFC to be used for the same trip in the same cabin. However, you may be able to use that FFC for a trip on a different day / flight and then cancel and use the newer FFC to book the preferred day / flight.

Yes it is awkward, but it is the workaround.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FFC is the travel credit / cert.

UA will not permit a FFC to be used for the same trip in the same cabin. However, you may be able to use that FFC for a trip on a different day / flight and then cancel and use the newer FFC to book the preferred day / flight.

Yes it is awkward, but it is the workaround.
and to be clear, this is a workaround because UA, also, doesnt want you to be able to take advantage of a lower price on the same flight, at least not so easily.

in the past (and still today?), UA will do this without the workaround for a $50 fee per ticket, if done within a month of booking. Ive been quoted the same by UA on the phone - forget when exactly, but IIRC fall last year. Its only since the no change fees thing that changing to a lower fare on the same flight ever really made sense.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:47 pm

CHASE Travel Portal For UA flights

With CHASE Ultimate Rewards from my Sapphire Reserve I will probably have enough points next year for an international Business flight for my wife and I.
Thinking UK/Europe.

Now, apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

1. Would I be required to book via CHASE Travel Portal? (Treated as cash and counts towards status?)
2. Or transfer the points to United? (Becomes bog standard United points?)

If 1, would I have access to seat maps, points accelerator and any other feature that the actual United website prefers?

(I attempted doing a dummy via the portal this morning. It was a mess as my chosen filters didn't stick and instead kept reverting to no filters.)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotscot
With CHASE Ultimate Rewards from my Sapphire Reserve I will probably have enough points next year for an international Business flight for my wife and I.
Thinking UK/Europe.

Now, apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

1. Would I be required to book via CHASE Travel Portal? (Treated as cash and counts towards status?)
2. Or transfer the points to United? (Becomes bog standard United points?)

If 1, would I have access to seat maps, points accelerator and any other feature that the actual United website prefers?

(I attempted doing a dummy via the portal this morning. It was a mess as my chosen filters didn't stick and instead kept reverting to no filters.)
Use the Chase portal if you want to use your points as cash. The portal is buggy - after ticketing you need to look at the itinerary very closely to ensure you got what you thought you booked.

Transfer points to UA if you see an award booking with miles - the transfer, at least for me is always instantaneous although others have seen a delay
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Use the Chase portal if you want to use your points as cash. The portal is buggy - after ticketing you need to look at the itinerary very closely to ensure you got what you thought you booked.
Always good to check (even when booking on united.com), but I've never had an issue with the Chase portal. Also note that if you use the Chase portal, your points are worth 1.5x since you have the Reserve card.

The one issue I have with the Chase portal is in the event of a schedule change, the portal incorrectly shows the original flights.
perkele and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Always good to check (even when booking on united.com), but I've never had an issue with the Chase portal. Also note that if you use the Chase portal, your points are worth 1.5x since you have the Reserve card.

The one issue I have with the Chase portal is in the event of a schedule change, the portal incorrectly shows the original flights.
On more than one occasion my F booking HNL-ORD is ultimately booked economy and have to cancel and restart
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The biggest problem with the Chase portal is that you'll have to deal with Expedia CS if something goes wrong.

1.5 cents per point isn't an outstanding redemption value, but it's not awful. It's just that you'll need to find a decent business class fare in order for the number of points to be reasonable. If you can find Saver-level awards -- which can be tough -- MileagePlus can be a better value.

Note that if you transfer points into MileagePlus, that's one way -- you can't move them back to Chase if your plans later change.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I've booked a few through the Chase portal and had no issues. I like earning toward status wherever possible so I'd definitely go that way if you have enough CSR points to book the whole trip.

My benefits were extended to these tickets (free bags, E+ seating, upgrade eligibility) so I saw no downsides.

I've also had to cancel a couple of the trips due to COVID and ended up with the cash value of the ticket in credit at United for future use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.