Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't book Premium Plus with partner leg?

Old Jul 25, 22, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA

I'm looking at flights that have United + LH group leg, but United.com shows PP unavailable if the flight includes legs on an LH group flight even though the UA segment has PP (e.g., book USA-FRA PP available; but USA-FRA-xxx it's not). Confusingly, for some itineraries PP is available, but not for others (e.g., an earlier connection it's not, later connection it is). Understand that the LH group flight doesn't have PP, so it would be mixed cabin anyway . . . but any tricks to allow such a booking?
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
I'm looking at flights that have United + LH group leg, but United.com shows PP unavailable if the flight includes legs on an LH group flight even though the UA segment has PP (e.g., book USA-FRA PP available; but USA-FRA-xxx it's not). Confusingly, for some itineraries PP is available, but not for others (e.g., an earlier connection it's not, later connection it is). Understand that the LH group flight doesn't have PP, so it would be mixed cabin anyway . . . but any tricks to allow such a booking?
Yes have experienced exactly this and seems to be 789 related IME Multi-city is the solution.

Interestingly agents see the same issue, have taught more than one the multi-city trick.. It was funny to hear their excuses why this could not be book and then just asked for them to try multi-city. "Looks like we can book that"
drewguy and VRFast like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 22 at 9:28 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I had a similar issue with a UA+SN fare (UA R fare + SN Q fare). I called the UA agent and they said it was an issue with SN pricing it correctly. I was put on hold for over 30min while they tried to sort it out with their SN counterpart. They came back with a fare that would price but that fare cost 3x what was quoted online. I didn't really press them on it since I lost interest while on hold.

But the next day I went back to play around and ultimately got a UA+LH fare (UA R + LH Q) that was able to ticket online.
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

So can you book “multi city” even when arriving and departing from the same (non-US) city?

(FWIW this is happening with a 772, but 772 via London shows PP available!)
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So can you book multi city even when arriving and departing from the same (non-US) city? ....
Sure, no problem

Would be interested to hear if it works for you.
Old Jul 25, 22, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking at flights that have United + LH group leg, but United.com shows PP unavailable if the flight includes legs on an LH group flight even though the UA segment has PP (e.g., book USA-FRA PP available; but USA-FRA-xxx it's not). Confusingly, for some itineraries PP is available, but not for others (e.g., an earlier connection it's not, later connection it is).
What you're seeing is a combination of two things:

1 - Married inventory, where a flight from AAA to CCC via a connection at BBB uses a separate AAA-CCC inventory set independent of the AAA-BBB or BBB-CCC inventory.
2 - Fare class delegation. The Premium Plus fares are supposed to be coded to delegate to an economy bucket on flights that don't have a PE cabin. If there's no inventory in this delegated fare class, the fare can't be used.

So, I suspect what's happening is that LH has zeroed out the necessary Y bucket on some of the connecting flights when booked in combination with your TATL flight.

Using multi-city may help because United.com has a defect -- it will generally (always?) price using point-to-point inventory. Basically, it can be a way to break married inventory when the inventory on the underlying flights is more advantageous than the married inventory.
drewguy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Using multi-city may help because United.com has a defect -- it will generally (always?) price using point-to-point inventory. Basically, it can be a way to break married inventory when the inventory on the underlying flights is more advantageous than the married inventory.
Huh. Not in my experience. United.com will then refuse to ticket this ... 'an error has occurred'. And yeah, I have tried this more than once

An agent sometimes can work around it with multi-city and make it work (not sure how) but .bomb has never worked for me
Old Jul 26, 22, 5:48 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Apparently I got in under the wire then under #2. Back in March I was able to book IAH-ORD-FRA-OSL with IAH-ORD in B (delegate fare?) and ORD-FRA in R, and the LH segment ended up in a Y fare. Now if I try to book same, I'm not able to get PP on the ORD-FRA segment. It says not available although I can see the ORD-FRA flight is O4.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Huh. Not in my experience. United.com will then refuse to ticket this ... 'an error has occurred'. And yeah, I have tried this more than once
Ive had more success with UA-operated itineraries. LH seems to be extra aggressive about revalidating the inventory during the ticking phase. However, since WineCountryUA had reported success, I figured it must sometimes work for LH also..

Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
Apparently I got in under the wire then under #2. Back in March I was able to book IAH-ORD-FRA-OSL with IAH-ORD in B (delegate fare?) and ORD-FRA in R, and the LH segment ended up in a Y fare. Now if I try to book same, I'm not able to get PP on the ORD-FRA segment. It says not available although I can see the ORD-FRA flight is O4.
Yes, that definitely sounds like the R fare delegated to B on UA and Y on LH. I cant imagine why an O fare wouldnt do the same thing; perhaps LH is zeroing out the inventory on the connecting flight entirely?
Old Jul 26, 22, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Sure, no problem

Would be interested to hear if it works for you.
After I figured out that 'multi-city' meant not just using that tab for booking but actually trying to book xxx-FRA and FRA-yyy + return it did show PP fares on the UA leg. In early stages of planning, so didn't go through with booking (let alone checking to see if this increased fares).
Old Aug 13, 22, 10:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Ive had more success with UA-operated itineraries. LH seems to be extra aggressive about revalidating the inventory during the ticking phase. However, since WineCountryUA had reported success, I figured it must sometimes work for LH also..

Yes, that definitely sounds like the R fare delegated to B on UA and Y on LH. I cant imagine why an O fare wouldnt do the same thing; perhaps LH is zeroing out the inventory on the connecting flight entirely?
More to this story, it appears that the LH Y fare is not a real Y fare, from what I gather. I tried to have them change the LH codeshare flight number to the real LH flight number so I can apply a *A upgrade request on my FRA-OSL segment. No dice unless I want to re-fare and re-ticket. Hard pass from me on that one obviously.
Old Aug 13, 22, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
More to this story, it appears that the LH Y fare is not a real Y fare, from what I gather. I tried to have them change the LH codeshare flight number to the real LH flight number so I can apply a *A upgrade request on my FRA-OSL segment. No dice unless I want to re-fare and re-ticket. Hard pass from me on that one obviously.
I mean, that much makes sense. It's not actually a Y fare. It's an R (or O) fare with a booking designator of Y because there's no PE cabin.

I'm not actually sure if they could rebook it as an LH native code, or if that would make the FRA-OSL leg upgradable. But I believe it's something like 25K points to upgrade, right? For a 700-mile flight in Euro Biz, I'd just stay in economy.
Old Aug 28, 22, 9:46 am
Original Poster

UA connection to Air Dolomiti - unable to book

Looking at flights US-Italy with various connections possible. Most attractive involves Air Dolomiti (via MUC) but get error message when trying to purchase. Web support tells me that UA's connection with Air Dolomiti doesn't recognize seats or something and that Air Dolomiti doesn't have seats on the flight. Of course, the Air Dolomiti site shows seats available (as well as on later flight, which also wasn't bookable).

Any fixes or tricks? Or just move on and book a different connection?
Old Aug 28, 22, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
I had a problem with buying a Lufthansa connection as well. Web support could not help me. It was very annoying. One comment was - Lufthansa may have not released seats yet - it was a couple months out - really, it shows availability and its not 6+ months out? We ended up taking an alternate all UA itinerary that worked but very frustrating.

Can regular telephone agent purchase the ticket? You can ask them to waive agent fee since it can't be bought via .com or web support?
Old Aug 28, 22, 11:16 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
What error message are you getting? That may shed some light on the underlying problem -- it could be a case of phantom/cached availability (e.g. UA thinks that x number of seats in Y (or E or N or ...) class are available on the partner flight so it's showing you a fare based on that availability and fare rule, but since the last snapshot of availability was taken those were sold or otherwise made unavailable, so when UA goes to actually book (NN1 / SS1) the segment Air Dolomiti's GDS, instead of returning HK1 (confirming the seat is held) it replies with UN/US -- the GDS version of "what are you talking about? I have no Y/E... seats to sell you" and UA bombs out. )
jsloan, drewguy and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread