Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Wine Menu for Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Don't let a screw top deter you from wine - practically all wines from Australia and New Zealand are screw top. It is gaining more momentum in France and California
Very true!! Most of the wine I purchase these days for everyday drinking is screw top. I think pretty much all the Sauvingon Blanc from New Zealand is bottled that way. It's also so much less hassle to bring a screw top to a BYOB restaurant.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gutt22
A follow-up note on the Polaris wine selection on UA 160 from MUC-IAH on Aug. 5 ... no menu, as expected. A total mish-mash like the flight out here. There was a lovely Gosset Extra Brut, which they were extremely stingy with. (Refill requests just went ignored.) A pretty good Albarino. Total plonk for the reds and other white selections. And ... the PDB "champagne" and what they poured after the Gosset was Wycliff Brut ... screw top that you can pick up for $5 at any shop. Just subpar. I'm sorry. There's just no reason for this.
Gosset? Must be a catering error
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
A follow-up note on the Polaris wine selection on UA 160 from MUC-IAH on Aug. 5 ... no menu, as expected. A total mish-mash like the flight out here. There was a lovely Gosset Extra Brut, which they were extremely stingy with. (Refill requests just went ignored.) A pretty good Albarino. Total plonk for the reds and other white selections. And ... the PDB "champagne" and what they poured after the Gosset was Wycliff Brut ... screw top that you can pick up for $5 at any shop. Just subpar. I'm sorry. There's just no reason for this.

Your spot on about the price. I’m in Los Angeles and in the trade. At $36 a case Restaurant Depot would sell this to the cash and carry restaurants that made really cheap mimosas on the weekends!

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Don't let a screw top deter you from wine - practically all wines from Australia and New Zealand are screw top. It is gaining more momentum in France and California
Screw caps are meant for a young Wines specifically whites that don’t need a natural cork for aging. Only for reds that are young fruit driven, which are ready to drink that must be consumed within one or two years. Currently screw cap closures globally are about 33% of the market. Perhaps at home but not on Polaris
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 5, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:51 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The wine flights were great. IAH-MUC in Sept. 2019 got me a nice flight of German Rieslings, which really was a nice touch to get me into the trip. So guessing ... that's not going to happen when I return to this flight on Saturday
I am on 160 MUC IAH right now and no list. In fact menu is a one pager; no foldable actual menu as in olden days. Has pre-order started?

And a bus gate, always A Bus gate for me.

Barolo? I wish! Crew is nice though.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
These are, of course, First World problems but flying Business Class on a First World carrier is designed specifically to alleviate First World problems. UA fails to do that across a number of areas.
cfischer, m.y, goodeats21 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by featheroleather
…. plus the reds & whites in the same cart were chilled… no bueno for reds
That’s not accurate. Reds should be chilled. One of many sources:
https://www.decanter.com/learn/red-w...rature-420885/

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

With UA, it's certainly true that many of its customers won't care - the USA is not a wine drinking country and many won't want anything better than red or white.
I kinda disagree with the bolded above. Too broad and lacks any context.

Add Austria to your list.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Screw caps are meant for a young Wines specifically whites that don’t need a natural cork for aging. Only for reds that are young fruit driven, which are ready to drink that must be consumed within one or two years.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with overly generalized part about white wines. I just grabbed one of my screw cap bottles of Austrian whites, an Ott 2015 Grüner Veltliner, and it will hit it’s peak around 2025 - 2030.

I frequently bring back a case of wine from wineries that I visit during my international travels.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
That’s not accurate. Reds should be chilled. One of many sources:
https://www.decanter.com/learn/red-w...rature-420885/

I kinda disagree with the bolded above. Too broad and lacks any context.

Add Austria to your list.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with overly generalized part about white wines. I just grabbed one of my screw cap bottles of Austrian whites, an Ott 2015 Grüner Veltliner, and it will hit it’s peak around 2025 - 2030.

I frequently bring back a case of wine from wineries that I visit during my international travels.
Yes, you found an exception to the generality, better Grüner Veltliners drinking windows first start approximately after 5 years of aging for maximum enjoyment. Pre war vintages lasted 40 some odd years, however that is an exception with today’s vilification.. However, are you familiar with the ones that have crown cap closures (think soda bottle caps)?

In keeping on topic, have you seen any in Polaris? Enjoy!

PS: I also agree that in the USA we drink our reds to warm in our whites too cold
FLYMSY and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 8, 2022 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
My recent Polaris SYD-SFO flight was serving Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut as the champagne, was decent, I had a few glasses.

https://www.wine.com/product/heidsie...-top-brut/5900

The reds and whites on offer all seemed a step down, mostly in the $10-20 range, Sebastiani Chardonnay etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.