Wiki Posts
Search

Weather in Denver 7/24/22??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Weather in Denver 7/24/22??

The departure board is completely red. It was cloudy and it spritzled a little bit today, but I didn’t notice any lighting that would stop ground ops. Actually a beautiful sunset right now. What was the problem?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

How do flight attendants go ‘missing’? That is what is holding up our den-ord flight. The gate agent is pretty pissed.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
Take a look at the MiseryMap, you'll see that the disruptions started as a storm cell formed around DEN. Additionally, strong winds are a disruption and are also not visible, but do have a large impact.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Co-worker's DEN-SDF flight got delayed 3 hours, and she didn't arrive until 1:30am. Looks like pretty much any regional flight was delayed 3-5 hours. It's causing knock-on issues for flights today due to crew rest times. My 10am DEN-SDF flight got delayed 90 minutes.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by PushingTin
How do flight attendants go ‘missing’? That is what is holding up our den-ord flight. The gate agent is pretty pissed.
They are there and then they are not. Had it happen once where the FA became so ill she couldn't even communicate to anyone she was stuck in a bathroom.

On another trip the FA thought her duty day was done and had gotten on the crew shuttle. They finally reached her when she got to the hotel and found out her day wasn't over and she got back on the shuttle, back through security and made it to the gate.

The entire time no one could reach them and they were "missing".
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I live about 20 mile south of DIA and it rained like crazy at the house for about 2 hours yesterday, staring at about 3:30PM. Rain gauge showed almost 2 inches when all over with at about 7:00PM.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Wind.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Interesting, I’m closer to downtown and we didn’t have any wind and just sprinkling. A couple inches of rain in Colorado is a heck of a lot. Ended up being about 2 1/2 hours delayed, got to my hotel around 3 AM, and the hotel computer was rebooting so I had to wait 15 minutes for my room. Then found a cockroach. Great day all around.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Interesting, I’m closer to downtown and we didn’t have any wind and just sprinkling. A couple inches of rain in Colorado is a heck of a lot. Ended up being about 2 1/2 hours delayed, got to my hotel around 3 AM, and the hotel computer was rebooting so I had to wait 15 minutes for my room. Then found a cockroach. Great day all around.
Front Range thunderstorms! Massive amount of rain/hail one place and nothing 5 miles away.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Doesn't have to be a lot of rain at the airport.

If there's lighting within a few miles of the airport the ramp will be closed so no ramp activity. Each airport has lightning detection equipment for this purpose.

Storms in the area (within 200 miles, or so) can block arrival and departure routes which has the same affect as closing freeway lanes during rush hour. Traffic has to consolidate onto the routes that remain open which don't have the capacity to handle all of the traffic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:54 am

As a 1K, are you able to get any credit or miles for a flight that is delayed 3+ hours? Was on SDF flight sunday. Weather related.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BGART
As a 1K, are you able to get any credit or miles for a flight that is delayed 3+ hours? Was on SDF flight sunday. Weather related.
For weather delays, no.
Even for UA caused delay the threshold is closer to 4 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.