Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 25, 2022 - July 26, 2022)

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 25, 2022 - July 26, 2022)

Old Jul 24, 22, 6:48 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,022
Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 25, 2022 - July 26, 2022)

Airports:
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Allentown, PA (ABE)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)​
  • Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
  • Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Norfolk, VA (ORF)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Roanoke, VA (ROA)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
  • Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: July 23, 2022

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for covered United flights, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window: July 24, 2022 - July 29, 2022

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 24, 22, 8:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 645
Why does EWR get a / while JFK and LGA get -'s?
angetenar is offline  
Old Jul 24, 22, 8:57 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 969
Because EWR is not NY. The other 2 are.
zdcatc12 likes this.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Jul 24, 22, 9:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 645
Dulles also gets a - though
angetenar is offline  
Old Jul 24, 22, 10:11 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 969
To hold to the convention, should be a /
🤣

Maybe because Newark is a city, and Dulles is not (only an unincorporated area in Loudon Co)? Just grasping now!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 22 at 10:40 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 9:56 am
  #6  
ed3
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Why does EWR get a / while JFK and LGA get -'s?
jFK and LaGuardia are names of airports, while Newark is the location of Newark Liberty.
ed3 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 11:17 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,022
Originally Posted by ed3 View Post
jFK and LaGuardia are names of airports, while Newark is the location of Newark Liberty.
And UA refuses to acknowledge that Newark is not in New York. Adding the "/" apparently (in their mind) allows them to be "New York" adjacent.

Yes, they are also not consistent with IAD either.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
And UA refuses to acknowledge that Newark is not in New York.
Probably because for basically every airline and fare filling EWR airport is considered part of the NYC point, so it makes sense they're going to include New York in the name somewhere when it's just across the Hudson, and for all intents is as close as JFK for what most tourists/business care for NYC to be considered.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:54 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16,845
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Probably because for basically every airline and fare filling EWR airport is considered part of the NYC point
That's not true. EWR is a separate market from NYC. Airlines can certainly publish the same fares to both, but UA generally doesn't.


Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
so it makes sense they're going to include New York in the name somewhere when it's just across the Hudson, and for all intents is as close as JFK for what most tourists/business care for NYC to be considered.
And yet for some reason, some people feel really strongly about this, in a way that I rarely see anywhere else. Few people claim that CVG isn't Cincinnati, ORD isn't Chicago, SFO isn't San Francisco, NRT isn't Tokyo... but some people seem absolutely adamant that EWR isn't New York, despite the fact that you can see the NYC skyline from the Newark airport.

ETA: If you want ridiculous, I offer you MLB, Melbourne Orlando International Airport.
SPN Lifer and JALsnipe like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 3:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 969
ORD is actually IN Chicago. Its land, formerly a Douglas airplane plant, was annexed in just after WW2. By rights, it should be suburban DuPage County.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 3:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 969
And how about AZA Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport?
jsloan likes this.
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Jul 26, 22, 2:48 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 162
I found out that, even with the travel waiver, tickets booked by travel agents cannot be changed by United.
wakko11 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 22, 3:53 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 12,124
Originally Posted by wakko11 View Post
I found out that, even with the travel waiver, tickets booked by travel agents cannot be changed by United.
Yes, but TA can change your ticket based on the waiver. i.e. TA can change your flights within waiver range without extra charge. See Jetstream Waiver in Post #1.
TerryK is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:28 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Dulles also gets a - though
IAD is in Fairfax county Virginia, not in DC.
UAFAM is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 10:17 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: HPN, LAX, HNL, or somewhere in between
Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Posts: 219
I was a little worried about this since I flew out of EWR yesterday evening but most of the delays were due to late inbound aircraft due to maintenance or crew timeouts. My 8:45 PM EWR-SFO ended up landing before the 6:40 PM flight.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
ETA: If you want ridiculous, I offer you MLB, Melbourne Orlando International Airport.
Frankfurt-Hahn is my favorite example of this.
jsloan likes this.
JALsnipe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread