Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 25, 2022 - July 26, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Northeast Severe Weather (July 25, 2022 - July 26, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I was a little worried about this since I flew out of EWR yesterday evening but most of the delays were due to late inbound aircraft due to maintenance or crew timeouts. My 8:45 PM EWR-SFO ended up landing before the 6:40 PM flight.
I was on the 2pm flight (1978) yesterday, which arrived in SFO earlier than the 1pm flight (414). The issue with the 1pm flight (414) was the inbound from AMS was late (inbound for 1978 cam from CDG nearly on time).

We did spend a LONG LONG time boarding, and ended up a little late arriving into SFO.

I thought about switching to the 1pm flight, as I had a very tight connection on separate tickets (had 4 separate tickets yesterday on multiple carriers). Glad I didn't do anything.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Repooc17
We did spend a LONG LONG time boarding, and ended up a little late arriving into SFO.
Yeah what's up with that at Newark lately? Several flights including mine boarded late and took an extended period of time to get folks on board. I think we boarded late due to a mechanical issue, but saw lots of people standing at gates past their boarding time with no posted delays. Hell, my flight didn't even post a delay until it was already 20 mins past the original departure time. I think the only flight that got out on time on my end of the terminal was the flight to Mallorca.

Glad you made it in one piece with such a complex itinerary!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I was on 626 on Monday and they loaded a 772 using a single gate agent with a pretty tight boarding time. LAX was using two scanners on the outbound and even they couldn't close the door based on the assigned 40 minute boarding.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Yeah what's up with that at Newark lately? Several flights including mine boarded late and took an extended period of time to get folks on board. I think we boarded late due to a mechanical issue, but saw lots of people standing at gates past their boarding time with no posted delays. Hell, my flight didn't even post a delay until it was already 20 mins past the original departure time. I think the only flight that got out on time on my end of the terminal was the flight to Mallorca.

Glad you made it in one piece with such a complex itinerary!
For my flight, the gate agent keeps sending more people (standby?) on board, despite well past the allotted boarding time, counting from the delayed start of boarding, not scheduled boarding time.

Also, actual enforcement of boarding order would be appreciated. There are no scenarios where I can think 20% of plane qualifying for preboarding before GS.

Ironically, the GA mentioned before the start of the delayed boarding something to the effect of: it's not a.full flight, we'll board quickly, and leave on time.

Originally Posted by Merolis
I was on 626 on Monday and they loaded a 772 using a single gate agent with a pretty tight boarding time. LAX was using two scanners on the outbound and even they couldn't close the door based on the assigned 40 minute boarding.
Widebody planes are allotted 50 minutes of boarding time.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
For my flight, the gate agent keeps sending more people (standby?) on board, despite well past the allotted boarding time, counting from the delayed start of boarding, not scheduled boarding time.

Also, actual enforcement of boarding order would be appreciated. There are no scenarios where I can think 20% of plane qualifying for preboarding before GS.

Ironically, the GA mentioned before the start of the delayed boarding something to the effect of: it's not a.full flight, we'll board quickly, and leave on time.

Its possible another later flight cancelled after the start of boarding and multiple people came to get accommodated on the earlier flight that still had seats available. So an initially less than full flight, with expected quick boarding could easily become delayed to allow the customer service agent to service other passengers in the gate area. Even if they were already rebooked on the flight, at the time of departure, someone needs to override a late check in and get them their boarding pass, which usually falls to the controlling gate agent because the passengers are told to go to that gate after being rebooked.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAFAM
IAD is in Fairfax county Virginia, not in DC.
Actually about 75% is in Loudoun County, only the SE corner is in Fairfax County.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.