Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Prime Flight employees (UA outsourced) at FLL

Old Jul 24, 22, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

Looks like many employees at FLL are Prime Flight not UA employees. Is it cheaper to do this miss all the nice UA employees. Does this exist system wide.
Old Jul 24, 22, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Does this exist system wide.
United saving money by hiring cheaper labour? Of course.
Old Jul 24, 22, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has been sourcing for years, such as this 2015 thread UA Studying the Outsourcing of 28 UA Stations - Employee notifications have started
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
United saving money by hiring cheaper labour? Of course.
There is a cost for unskilled labor for both United and customers. Case in the point, it took more than 1 hour to find volunteers to take other flights in exchange of United miles for ORF-DEN flight due to weight restriction today. There were a lot of pax misconnected in DEN. The skilled gate agents might take half of the time so that there would be fewer passengers misconnected at DEN.
Old Jul 24, 22, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
The skilled gate agents might take half of the time so that there would be fewer passengers misconnected at DEN.
Most companies, United included, don't look past the payroll costs.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 4:15 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Most companies, United included, don't look past the payroll costs.
I have seen some evidence that UA is at least slightly considering indirect and nonfinancial costs -- like the migration in some stations (and in hubs, for non-agent/non-ramp tasks like wheelchair assistance) from true outsourcing to the captive subsidiary United Ground Express (UGE... which every time I see the abbreviation my brain pronounces it as "Ugly" but I digress) where they can have greater control over service delivery and costs -- which are huge.

As a point of comparison, To have IAM-represented honest-to-goodness United Airlines agents costs $15.33 (for a first year agent) to $33.30 (for a 11+ year agent) in direct wage costs per hour, plus all of the fringe benefits (vacation, sick, healthcare, premium shift/position overrides, etc. ) and there's also the costs and liabilities of dealing with a high longevity union-represented workforce generally. Compare that to UGE where the current IAM contract calls for agents to be paid $10.05 to $14.25 per hour (for 6 months to 10 years respectively) plus much more austere overrides [I actually thought UGE was a non-union subsidiary, but that shows you how much attention I've been paying].

But give me an EX-CON > Any Mainline Agent > UGE > 3rd party ground handler any day. The agents who are directly related to the service being provide hands down are more effective when things go sideways than someone who's not as directly tied to the product.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Compare that to UGE where the current IAM contract calls for agents to be paid $10.05 to $14.25 per hour (for 6 months to 10 years respectively) plus much more austere overrides[.]
I really can't understand how United can find people for those positions at those pay rates. The federal minimum wage is still a (silly-low) $7.25 an hour, and labor shortages are driving wages up. Even if the alternative were slightly worse pay to work at CVS or bussing tables, why would you agree to a high-stress, customer-facing job that requires technical skills and understanding a complex reservations system and requires a background check and badging waits and a long daily commute, including through security, for $10.05 with pitiable y/o/y wage growth?

Where does United (UGE) find people willing to take those jobs?
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ezefllying View Post
I really can't understand how United can find people for those positions at those pay rates. The federal minimum wage is still a (silly-low) $7.25 an hour, and labor shortages are driving wages up. Even if the alternative were slightly worse pay to work at CVS or bussing tables, why would you agree to a high-stress, customer-facing job that requires technical skills and understanding a complex reservations system and requires a background check and badging waits and a long daily commute, including through security, for $10.05 with pitiable y/o/y wage growth?

Where does United (UGE) find people willing to take those jobs?
Free flights for yourself, Spouse, and kids is a very powerful draw to many people.
lincolnjkc and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Free flights for yourself, Spouse, and kids is a very powerful draw to many people.
Hey, even for as much grousing as I've heard from UA employees (most with 20+ years of seniority) do about how hard it is to get NSRA on flights these days I've thought if UA were to post a PT casual/on call position at my home station [they won't, IIRC there are still a large number of displaced agents with recall rights] and I could make it work with my "real" work schedule [I almost certainly couldn't] I'd do it for "free" just for the ability to list for flights. (And I get mistaken for a UA employee often enough by crews and pax I might as well get something for it )

That said the contract language that I didn't quote up thread for UGE specifies that those are the pay rates "unless otherwise required by law" -- so in places with cost of living ordinances (which I think covers SFO/ORD/EWR/LAX... not sure of IAH) UGE agents are likely getting paid more... though also have even bleaker salary progression prospect because it reads as if the longevity scale only comes into effect if it's more than the required pay rate, so...eg. for a $15/hr city a UGE employee conceivably could never see a raise as long as this contract is in effect [I really hope I'm reading that wrong...]
Old Jul 24, 22, 8:29 pm

Free standby passes are pretty much worthless when you have no seniority & load factors are at record highs.
Old Jul 25, 22, 1:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by featheroleather View Post
Free standby passes are pretty much worthless when you have no seniority & load factors are at record highs.
Then why are people taking these low paying jobs?
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:35 am

Then why are people taking these low paying jobs?
ICYMI, airlines are short staffed….High turnover/low retention = You get what you pay for.
Dyce likes this.

Last edited by featheroleather; Jul 25, 22 at 9:15 am
Old Jul 25, 22, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
ICYMI, airlines are shirt staffed…
I still prefer the current situation to shirtless staffed though.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 6:37 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
ICYMI, airlines are shirt staffed….High turnover/low retention = You get what you pay for.
We sure do. CMH ground crew haven't bothered taking gate checked carry on bags up to the jet way for months now - just a "get your bags in baggage claim" announcement.
A good recession might result in employees (all industries) actually caring again, versus the 'you're lucky I'm here' attitude that seems fairly common these days!
Old Jul 25, 22, 7:39 am
Original Member

PSP (which has similarly boom/bust passenger cycles) is entirely staffed (except for Alaska) with contract people...don't believe they get flight privileges.

Search this Thread