Missing external bag burst straps

Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Missing external bag burst straps

Anyone ever had external burst straps removed from their luggage while it was enroute? We lost the straps from 2 identical suitcases as we flew from Vancouver to Chicago on United. No notes from security saying they had inspected the cases, just the missing straps. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by gotcha3
Anyone ever had external burst straps removed from their luggage while it was enroute? We lost the straps from 2 identical suitcases as we flew from Vancouver to Chicago on United. No notes from security saying they had inspected the cases, just the missing straps. Thanks.
Must have been nice straps.

David
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:22 am

I have had straps worn a surprising amount on a single flight. It looked like the bag had been against some pressure point and moved around quite a bit. Which is to say, it could be that your straps were worn through and broke.

It could also be that they slipped off. If TSA had to open them to inspect your luggage, they might not have put them back in the same configuration, and might not have put them on as tightly.

As a result of my experiences, I no longer use luggage that requires external straps to maintain integrity.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and MSPpete like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Yes, I have had this happen. If TSA inspects your baggage they will put a notification slip in there...or at least they are supposed to. Most likely the strap latches/catches popped loose due to handling. If there is a strap dangling off a bag it will likely be removed since it can jam up conveyors etc. Similarly baggage handlers may have removed it if loose. I wouldn't necessarily trust them to re-clasp the catch and re-secure it. My bag getting to me is what's important, if a lock or strap or external nametag is missing I just buy another.

Straps are of varying quality. It may look tough to you, but the catches and latches are always the weak link.

I wouldn't expect anything from UA (definitely not from the TSA) on this.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gmt4
Straps are of varying quality. It may look tough to you, but the catches and latches are always the weak link.
This almost certainly. A good number of those straps seem to "bust open" at any type of pressure on the catch/latch. My feeling is when faced with an unhooked and dangling strap, it's easier for the ground crews to quickly remove it than to have it be all tangled up in equipment.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:48 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Vancouver could have been CPB also. Although not sure if they would drag it up to open in your presence.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
You know those bursting straps are a waste? Don’t overstuff your bag, latch and lock it properly and move on. Oh and don’t by those cheap $50 bags.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Ted
Vancouver could have been CPB also. Although not sure if they would drag it up to open in your presence.
CATSA or possibly USCBP definitley opened one of my bags at YEG which I didn't know about. Quite possibly this is what happened to the OP's bag at YVR.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Collierkr
You know those bursting straps are a waste? Dont overstuff your bag, latch and lock it properly and move on.
They're almost as much of a waste as a lock.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I've worked around moving equipment most of my life. It always puzzled me why folks would attach straps and wraps to luggage which increases the chance of their bag getting caught up in the moving parts of the baggage handling equipment. It used to be the drill at check in where you were asked to remove all straps etc. In nearly 2mm on various airlines I've never had an unstrapped bag open up. Not to say things don't get dinged up over time but the exploding bag...idk. ymmv
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by prestonh
I've worked around moving equipment most of my life. It always puzzled me why folks would attach straps and wraps to luggage which increases the chance of their bag getting caught up in the moving parts of the baggage handling equipment. It used to be the drill at check in where you were asked to remove all straps etc. In nearly 2mm on various airlines I've never had an unstrapped bag open up. Not to say things don't get dinged up over time but the exploding bag...idk. ymmv
"Guys - get out now - she's gonna blow!"

David
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
From what Ive observed, wrapped luggage is popular with people who fly to/from a specific continent with huge bulging bags.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Collierkr
You know those bursting straps are a waste? Don’t overstuff your bag, latch and lock it properly and move on. Oh and don’t by those cheap $50 bags.
I put a strap on my checked bags 100% of the time. Not because my bags are cheap but because it's an extra safeguard for when the bag intentionally or unintentionally falls off a belt loader, etc. As an added bonus they make my bags easier to identify.

I also lose a strap roughly once a year - not surprisingly seeing the amount of times I see a baggage handler grab bags by the strap with one hand (scanner in the other) versus using two hands to actually pick up the bag.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.