Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

US-LHR, long layover in ORD or short in EWR

Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:08 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum

I know this is a no brainer for most of you, but I'd appreciate your opinions.

October ROC -EWR - LHR had a major schedule change. We are a retired couple in no hurry, more interested in comfort than moving too fast (OK, a minor health issue that makes me walk slow). We usually like long connections for international destinations. Options are ROC-EWR-LHR with 6 hour layover of ROC-ORD-LHR with 2 hour, 18 minute connection? We will have access to the Polaris lounge either way. Obvious concern (?) is late afternoon/early evening flight into ORD having late arrival.

Wife prefers later arrival into LHR, 10:30 to noon time frame

Am I just being silly?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Would you consider driving to YYZ, and taking a nonstop on AC or BA instead?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Moot question in this case since traveling on award ticket and can't change departure airport.
Have flown from YYZ, with the border crossing, it adds 3-4 hours of driving in each direction, plus two weeks of parking expense.

Interesting option though
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
As someone who lived in ROC for many years ORD is what I always did - for two main reasons:

1).flights to EWR from ROC are almost always United express - and smaller planes - and the first to cancel if there is anything wrong

2). The flights to ORD are on mainline jets and the flight to LHR is longer - allowing for better sleep - at least for me!

Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larrude
I know this is a no brainer for most of you, but I'd appreciate your opinions.

October ROC -EWR - LHR had a major schedule change. We are a retired couple in no hurry, more interested in comfort than moving too fast (OK, a minor health issue that makes me walk slow). We usually like long connections for international destinations. Options are ROC-EWR-LHR with 6 hour layover of ROC-ORD-LHR with 2 hour, 18 minute connection? We will have access to the Polaris lounge either way. Obvious concern (?) is late afternoon/early evening flight into ORD having late arrival.

Wife prefers later arrival into LHR, 10:30 to noon time frame

Am I just being silly?
Your title says the long layover is in ORD, but the details here say that its in EWR.

Personally, I would opt for ORD in order (a) to avoid EWR and (b) get a slightly longer lie-flat flight. 2 hours and 18 minutes gives you quite a bit of leeway if things go wrong. However, EWR is definitely the safer choice, between the long layover and the large number of backup options.

Whats the connection time at IAD?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:26 am

I wouldn't worry too much about a 2 hour connection at ORD. If that allows you to arrive at LHR later in the morning, then I would choose that option without any hesitation. I hate early morning European arrivals.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Larrude
Moot question in this case since traveling on award ticket and can't change departure airport.
Have flown from YYZ, with the border crossing, it adds 3-4 hours of driving in each direction, plus two weeks of parking expense.

Interesting option though
Ah, OK. Although, if there were award seats available to MileagePlus on the AC YYZ-LHR flight, I suppose that you could just refund your existing award tickets and book new ones ex-YYZ. That would not solve the ground transportation issue getting to YYZ, but if you could book an open-jaw ticket (YYZ-LHR-XXX-ROC), you might consider a one-way car rental from Rochester to YYZ.

If you were to mis-connect in ORD, is there a later ORD-LHR flight on UA? (Of course, no telling whether a later flight, if there were one, would have seats available.)
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure EWR is that much safer due to the risk of cancel on an express flight. Add me to the ORD contingent.
jsloan and ezefllying like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
2 non stops ORD-LHR in October from what I can see. 6:20 or 6:50pm and 9:10pm, the latter getting into LHR at 11:20am, so only 2 choices from ORD, whereas EWR has a ton of evening departures, but will they all be reasonably on time...?
I would agree with earlier comments, the longer the better for sleep, and I avoid EWR like the plague unless it’s hundreds of $s cheaper than IAH and I have at least a 3-4 hr layover, which you do, however, short hop to LHR.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would avoid EWR in all instances. It's not a pleasant place.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you!

Thanks for the comments. I have shifted our connection from EWR to ORD.
I was leaning toward that decision and the comments confirmed my concerns with EWR. I also liked the longer flight time to sleep, or at least to attempt sleeping.

By the way jsloan, connection at IAD is 60 minutes
GUWonder, jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Personally I would have gone with EWR - in October, there's less likely to be congestion and/or weather issues, and the Polaris lounge in EWR is better than the one in ORD. That said, you might have to endure a bus ride from A2 over to C, which isn't a ton of fun.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Id counter to say ORD PL is far better than EWR PL. By far. Have been in both many times.
And of course, the ORD airport experience is far better (exception: when you have to do I->D from T5 to T1).
And there are no weather issues in ORD in Oct.🙄
January yes.
GUWonder, Larrude, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

My last transatlantic connection through EWR in October (I think it was GLA to EWR) after several hours of delays on my connection home, they finally canceled the flight. I rescheduled to an 8am flight.

Severe thunderstorms!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Personally I would have gone with EWR - in October, there's less likely to be congestion and/or weather issues, and the Polaris lounge in EWR is better than the one in ORD. That said, you might have to endure a bus ride from A2 over to C, which isn't a ton of fun.
October in ORD isn’t worse for weather and congestion than EWR in October. At least with weather-related stuff in October, I consider ORD better for me than EWR.

From MSP and DCA, I have long preferred ORD transits to EWR transits when going from the US to LHR and elsewhere in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.