Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: East Coast Thunderstorms (July 18, 2022 - July 19, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Allentown, PA (ABE)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Bangor, ME (BGR)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)​
  • Buffalo, NY (BUF)
  • Burlington, VT (BTV)
  • Charleston, WV (CRW)
  • Charlotte, NC (CLT)
  • Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
  • Clarksburg, WV (CKB)
  • Erie, PA (ERI)
  • Greensboro, NC (GSO)
  • Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Ithaca, NY (ITH)
  • Johnstown, PA (JST)
  • Lewisburg, WV (LWB)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
  • Plattsburgh, NY (PBG)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Raleigh, NC (RDU)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Roanoke, VA (ROA)
  • Rochester, NY (ROC)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: July 16, 2022

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for covered United flights, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window: July 17, 2022 - July 22, 2022

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (not yet posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David

Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA MM
I am flying to BOS on the 19th, and got email notice. But all the storms are forecast for the 18th, as I see it. Are they just trying to clear space on the 19th to accommodate cancels from the 18th, I wonder?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I am flying to BOS on the 19th, and got email notice. But all the storms are forecast for the 18th, as I see it. Are they just trying to clear space on the 19th to accommodate cancels from the 18th, I wonder?
Generally when they have been putting these out, it includes the day after the storm to facilitate further system recovery by accounting for any cascading delays/cancellations that affect the following day due to crews/planes being out of position. Overall these waivers just help them to loosen up inventory restrictions for people who are flexible and move them into inventory that is likely to otherwise spoil. It also eases the burden of passengers blaming the airline entirely if they get delayed/cancelled because they were told in advance that the airline is expecting weather and things might get disrupted but either 1) chose/were unable to change to something else because they weren't flexible (in which case they would be SOL even without the waiver) or 2) made a change and still got delayed/cancelled (but they chose to be on that new flight so likely feel some responsibility that they were able to choose a flight they want, and sometimes weather happens anyway)
SPN Lifer and MojaveFlyer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
They should add Nantucket to this list. Flight cancelled tomorrow into ACK, rerouting via BOS on 9k now, took awhile to get UA to approve being out on 9k, used to be a lot easier to get them to put you on 9K, took 2 agents to even know what Cape Air was.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:53 am

Been sitting at the gate (on the plane) for 2 hrs. Ramp at Newark keeps closing bc of lightening strikes. Today is going to be really ugly
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I am flying LAX-EWR tomorrow and the flights today are pretty rough so far.

7:00am Diverted (Late +4hrs)
8:20am Diverted (Late +90mins)
10:20am Delayed (Late +92mins)
11:30am Delayed (Late +49mins)
12:45pm Delayed Departure
2:15pm Delayed Departure
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Quite few TATL flights bound for EWR and IAD has diverted to BWI (ATH x2, NCE, LIS) and most EWR bound flights from FL are diverting as well.

Was perplexed to see several consecutive wide bodies flying overhead on approach on the drive home and got my answer here

Hopefully most of the delays won’t be too rough.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 18, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looks like both UA961 and OS89 diverted to SWF, now en route to EWR.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
ACK cncld out of BOS, Uber and a ferry now, woohoo
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by mediator
Looks like both UA961 and OS89 diverted to SWF, now en route to EWR.
Wow! When was the last time widebodies like these landed at Stewart??
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I was lucky my IAH-EWR UA1524 made it (albeit with considerable in flight holds) - while others were diverting. especially since we were supposed to slide in during a good window then left IAH fairly late because maintenance needed us to fly parts to EWR and were late getting us those parts
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Any idea why the FAA is showing a ground stop for UAL only at EWR (ground delay program for all other carriers)?

Apparently I (or rather a client) chose the wrong day to do a CLE-EWR/EWR-CLE turn doing loops over Pennsylvania on the way in and now a 4+ hour delay out [and I have to do CLE-ORD tomorrow :/ ] -- seems like we're missing one crew member coming from MSP. Flight status for that flight says flight can't leave due to ground stop, which made me look at the FAA status to see the reason for the stop...
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Any idea why the FAA is showing a ground stop for UAL only at EWR (ground delay program for all other carriers)?

Apparently I (or rather a client) chose the wrong day to do a CLE-EWR/EWR-CLE turn doing loops over Pennsylvania on the way in and now a 4+ hour delay out [and I have to do CLE-ORD tomorrow :/ ] -- seems like we're missing one crew member coming from MSP. Flight status for that flight says flight can't leave due to ground stop, which made me look at the FAA status to see the reason for the stop...
Might be UA asking or UA might have so many diverted/delayed arrivals stacked up that they are overbooked on remaining slots. The LAX-EWR holds have squeezed 5 flights into a 2hr arrival window.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Airlines can request a ground stop for their flights only if they have an operational need, in this case likely was needing to hold off on additional departures to EWR to facilitate recovery of earlier delayed departures and diverted arrivals.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.