Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Form 8-K 14 July 2022
Item 5.02 Departure of Directors or Certain Officers; Election of Directors; Appointment of Certain Officers; Compensatory Arrangements of Certain Officers.

On July 14, 2022, the Board of Directors (the "Board") of United Airlines Holdings, Inc. (the "Company"), the parent company of United Airlines, Inc. ("United"), unanimously appointed Linda P. Jojo, who was serving as Executive Vice President, Technology and Chief Digital Officer of the Company, as Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Officer of the Company, reporting to J. Scott Kirby, Chief Executive Officer of the Company. In addition, the Board also appointed Torbjorn ("Toby") J. Enqvist, who was serving as Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Officer of the Company, as Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer of the Company, reporting to Brett J. Hart, President of the Company. These organizational changes are effective July 15, 2022.

Ms. Jojo, age 57, served as Executive Vice President, Technology and Chief Digital Officer of the Company from June 2017 to July 2022. Ms. Jojo joined the Company in November 2014 as Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer and served in that role through June 2017. Prior to joining United, Ms. Jojo has held technology leadership roles across industries, including media, wireless, cable and energy. Ms. Jojo and her team have been recognized by multiple organizations for their innovative use of technology. Under Ms. Jojo's leadership, United has used data analytics, digital products and e-commerce to differentiate United's operations and enhance and ease the customer's travel experience.

Mr. Enqvist, age 51, served as Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Officer of the Company from May 2021 to July 2022. From August 2018 to May 2021, Mr. Enqvist served as Senior Vice President and Chief Customer Officer of United; from May 2018 to August 2018, he served as Senior Vice President Network Operations and Customer Solutions of United; and from July 2017 to May 2018, he served as Senior Vice President Customer Solutions and Recovery of United. Mr. Enqvist has been in the airline industry for over 25 years, joining Continental Airlines, Inc. in 1996. Over the course of his career, he has held senior leadership positions across United, including roles overseeing our hubs and domestic and international line stations, our Newark hub, security and environmental affairs. A key part of his past and current experience is developing and giving our front-line employees the tools, policies and processes needed to succeed at their jobs.

At this time, any compensation adjustments in connection with these appointments have not been determined. The Company will file an amendment to this Current Report on Form 8-K disclosing any compensation adjustments made in connection with these appointments if and when they have been determined.

Jonathan Roitman, who was serving as the Company's Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer, moved into the role of Executive Vice President and Special Advisor of United effective July 15, 2022.
================================================== ================================================== =====
Letter to employees 15 July 2022
J. Scott Kirby
Chief Executive Officer
233 South Wacker Drive, 13th Floor–WHQLA, Chicago, IL 60606

Team:
As you know, United managed the pandemic better than our competitors and we all worked together as a team not only in helping our airline survive, but also putting us in a position to thrive on the other side. But now, we are entering a new phase of growth at United — United Next — that requires a new focus on building the infrastructure to support what will be the largest growth by far that any airline has ever attempted in the history of aviation.

Over the last two years, I’m particularly proud of the cultural changes we made to focus on the customer. Yes, I receive and read emails each morning about operational issues. But, even in these challenging times, I also receive daily notes about a smiling flight attendant who helped someone in need, a pilot who left the flight deck to thank customers for flying United, or a gate agent that went above-and-beyond to help a customer in distress.

It’s wonderful to see and we couldn’t have made that cultural pivot without the efforts of our COO, Jon Roitman. He’s a deeply caring ‘people person’ and that applies to both customers and employees.

But as we exit the COVID crisis and move to a new phase of growth with United Next, we need to continue that wonderful customer focus but also build the infrastructure to support our massive growth. And so, we are announcing some important management changes that will strengthen our operation, take our customer focus to new heights, and accelerate our journey towards becoming the biggest and best airline in the history of aviation.

Brett and I have asked Toby Enqvist to take on the role of Chief Operations Officer, reporting to Brett. Most recently, he has led the charge in changing the way people feel about flying United as our Chief Customer Officer. Over the last two decades, he has worked all across our operation in a variety of leadership roles and has earned a reputation as a tireless advocate for our customers. The combination of his world-class talent and commitment to excellence make him exactly the right leader for this job at this critical moment for United — he feels more deeply, genuinely, and passionately for the customer than any airline executive I’ve ever known in my entire career.

I have also asked Linda Jojo to become our new Chief Customer Officer — she will continue reporting to me. In her previous role, Linda built and led the technology team responsible for enabling so many of the customer innovations we have pioneered in the last several years. The enthusiasm she brings to this work makes her a natural for this role. Linda has been with United long enough to know all the challenges and the ins and outs of running our complex operation —but not so long that she can’t look at things, and say, “I think there’s a better way to do this.” To me, that’s an exciting combination of skills and ones that will be critical to build industry-leading tools that make customer travel — and each of your jobs — easier. Linda will retain the technology team and add oversight of our contact centers and our customer solutions and innovation team to her new role.

There are a few additional moves I also wanted to share that are associated with Toby and Linda taking on these new responsibilities:
  • I have asked Greg Hart to manage our Tech Ops organization — in addition to his United Next responsibilities — with a focus on improving our maintenance performance. The team will eventually transition to Toby in his new role. Tech Ops is perhaps the most difficult and technical discipline at an airline and Greg has a lot of experience running it and running it well.
  • Andrew Nocella is the best Chief Commercial Officer of any airline anywhere in the world. He has literally been designing and thinking about airline route maps since he was 12 years old, but he also is obsessive about the hard product we offer our customers (you can thank him and his team for the great United Next interiors). He continues to be an excellent steward of the overall look and feel of our airline and as a result, I am adding inflight and club menu and product design to his portfolio as we move all the hard and soft product design elements into a single area under Andrew’s leadership.
  • Rebuilding our airline in the post-COVID world has highlighted the need for our network and operational leaders to be nimble and completely integrated. So, to support Toby, I’ve asked Ankit Gupta to move into the operation and take on the role of Senior Vice President and Chief Air Operations Officer. He will take oversight of our Flight Ops, Inflight and NOC teams as well as and the responsibility of coordinating with our commercial team to better align our operation with network planning. Ankit has taken on roles of increasing responsibility in his time at United and has handled each transition seamlessly — I look forward to him taking on this next challenge and adding value right away.
  • Patrick Quayle, another key leader on our United team, will now serve as Senior Vice President of Global Network Planning and Alliances, and add oversight of our domestic network to his portfolio. Patrick has elevated our network strategy and I am confident will continue to take our airline to new and unexpected places — literally and figuratively. He will continue to report to Andrew.
  • Jason Birnbaum will now become our Chief Information Officer and will continue to report to Linda. Jason has driven a culture of innovation and was instrumental in changing the way technology is deployed across our airline. He will now take on more day-to-day leadership of our digital technology team.

Finally, I want to thank Jon Roitman for his 25 years of service to the airline. He is one of the best and most genuine people leaders I’ve ever known — a character trait that became more important than ever in these challenging times. Our customer-focused pivot is Jon’s legacy and will be with us forever.

Jon has agreed to remain on board as an advisor to Brett and me on a range of issues, including addressing the congestion issues at EWR.

In the past few years, we have built a culture at United based on leadership and doing the right thing — an airline where good leads the way. I am confident that these changes will provide our frontline teams with the support and direction they need to succeed in this unprecedented operational environment and as we execute on our United Next strategy in the months and years ahead.

Best, Scott
Print Wikipost

UA Leadership changes - 15 July 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by greenpau
Nocella taking soft product is good and makes a lot of sense. He’s been hearing about it nonstop from corporate clients, and he drives to action. Will be a nice accountability shift happening there. Apparently he also has influence over Premium Services (GS and Clubs)

Definitely an ex-AA centric team emerging here, with Ankit and Quayle’s elevations as well as Nocella already in seat.
Make it america west :-)
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In most companies, that means he'll just be playing Tetris until his golden parachute deploys.
Is trying to solve the EWR congestion puzzle all that different than playing Tertis anyway?
uanj and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Why should I care about this? All United is doing is moving people around in the company. None of these folks are outsiders. None of them brings in a fresh, outside perspective.

All this change suggests to me is that Scott and Brett are happy with the existing direction of the company. These changes suggest the continuation of the status quo.
uanj and manstein58 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:39 am

Isn't Nocella a bean counter deep down? Perhaps he thinks they are already spending too much on the amazing inflight product.....
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
United consistently provides the worst service of any company I use. They clearly don’t care about changing that. In fact, I’m assuming that it’s part of their strategy and branding at this point.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by nevansm
Certainly can't get any worse, that's for sure.
soft product is horrendous. If served at Sing, Sing, would cause a riot
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:39 pm

According to some of these comments am I making a mistake in sticking with United? I'm in SoCal.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on international Business Class flights from now on.
Will stay with economy for domestic.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hotscot
According to some of these comments am I making a mistake in sticking with United? I'm in SoCal.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on international Business Class flights from now on.
Will stay with economy for domestic.
Might there be a better carrier for you, perhaps? Depends on what your travel plans are and what you are looking for.

So, understand few come to these forum to praise an airline and there is a strong motivation to push for more. Probably best to check other forums.
Does UA have problems, yes. Does DL, AA, WN ,,,, BA, LH, ... have problems, yes.
Find a carrier that works for you and that you can live with their issues
What features matter to you? Breadth of network, least travel time, inflight service, lounges, on time reliability, ... there are a lot of different facets to consider,

Obviously many are using UA or their flights would not be so full. Air travel is a shadow of what it was 20-30 years ago. There are many threads on the changes
There is no carrier that works for everyone.

The question is there a better carrier for you? Best to do your own research on that. Visit the other forums.

But for now, let's focus this thread on the UA leadership changes.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But for now, let's focus this thread on the UA leadership changes.
Again, what leadership changes? No outsiders brought in. Just a shuffling made around of existing leaders. This whole thread is much ado about nothing.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
Again, what leadership changes? No outsiders brought in. Just a shuffling made around of existing leaders. This whole thread is much ado about nothing.
Agreed no outsiders brought in but at least one exec was moved out (and that may have nothing to do with the concerns raised on this forum) and different execs got new responsibilities. So a leadership tweak? But enough there could be some noticeable change in emphasis.

Bringing in multiple folks from the outside would have beene very dramatic and that does not seem to be the message here. As long as the top is unchnaged, it is misguided to expect a reputation of the past. But still the potential for some visible tweaks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:35 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
United consistently provides the worst service of any company I use. They clearly don’t care about changing that. In fact, I’m assuming that it’s part of their strategy and branding at this point.
Clearly you have not flown the worst flights on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.