Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH International to international transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I’m flying FRA > SCL - change at IAH

Can I check bags to destination, stay airside at IAH and avoid US immigration?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: UA
No, you will need to go through immigration/customs and reclear security.

Last edited by angetenar; Jul 14, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For I to I at IAH, no collecting bags. But otherwise same as I to D connection (passport control, customs, clear TSA).
wrp96, TechMarauder and gcashin like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a general rule, it's best to avoid the USA for connecting flights as the process is grossly inefficient - as you are discovering!
TPACjv likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
And be sure to have your ESTA
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
There is no bag collection if you connect INT-INT through IAH. This arrangement doesn't apply to other US point of entry though.
You do go through US immigration though.

Last edited by flyinglan; Jul 14, 2022 at 8:44 am Reason: additional comment
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wyddfa
I’m flying FRA > SCL - change at IAH

Can I check bags to destination, stay airside at IAH and avoid US immigration?
Bags go through without touching them at IAH; you'll need to do immigration and security.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyinglan
There is no bag collection if you connect INT-INT through IAH. This arrangement doesn't apply to other US point of entry though.
You do go through US immigration though.
IAH isn’t the only USA airport that offers this but it’s quite a limited list.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Many thanks all. I will look forward to getting an ESTA and waiting in line.

Two Polaris flights - daytime FRA IAH and overnight IAH SCL with the USA connection were way cheaper than the One World BA/IBERIA J offer. And given my experience with the latter I reckoned the experience couldn’t be worse. Or could it? I’m certainly not expecting Middle East quality.

I’ve not been in a *A FF since BA took over BMI - I guess I’ll credit the miles to UA unless anyone has better ideas. I’m starting in MAN with a LH hop to FRA and the FRA IAH and vv are LH coded but on UA metal. P bucket of course.

Last edited by wyddfa; Jul 15, 2022 at 3:48 am
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My personal experience is that UA is more reliable than BA and the hard product is fine. The lounges at LHR and IAH are excellent. BUT, onboard, the food and wine is absolutely terrible. I can't speak to mileage programs overall but be aware that UA's has been hugely devalued so there are few decent redemption values and, unless you have elite status, you face change fees on redemptions. I do read that Avianca's has some sweet spots, but I don't know enough to really comment.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My personal experience is that UA is more reliable than BA and the hard product is fine. The lounges at LHR and IAH are excellent. BUT, onboard, the food and wine is absolutely terrible. I can't speak to mileage programs overall but be aware that UA's has been hugely devalued so there are few decent redemption values and, unless you have elite status, you face change fees on redemptions. I do read that Avianca's has some sweet spots, but I don't know enough to really comment.
All of the US-based (and several of the big international players) have significantly devalued their mileage points, though I still find tremendous value in UA’s points for international redemptions, especially if the flights do not originate or end in North America, certainly much more value than Delta Skymiles and even FlyingBlue.

Avianca does has some niche value, as does Turkish Miles & Smiles and Singapore KrisFlyer. However, for global reach, ease of use, and reasonable redemption value, I find Air Canada Aeroplan to be the best within Star Alliance. That said…while we’ve all been focused on the travel chaos in Europe lately, Canada has been doing just as bad, if not worse. So probably a good idea to avoid connecting in Canada until the dust settles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by wyddfa
Many thanks all. I will look forward to getting an ESTA and waiting in line.

Two Polaris flights - daytime FRA IAH and overnight IAH SCL with the USA connection were way cheaper than the One World BA/IBERIA J offer. And given my experience with the latter I reckoned the experience couldn’t be worse. Or could it? I’m certainly not expecting Middle East quality.

I’ve not been in a *A FF since BA took over BMI - I guess I’ll credit the miles to UA unless anyone has better ideas. I’m starting in MAN with a LH hop to FRA and the FRA IAH and vv are LH coded but on UA metal. P bucket of course.
I hope that you are aware of the current USA vaccination requirements that apply to most non-citizens of the USA who wish to enter the country.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by fumje
For I to I at IAH, no collecting bags. But otherwise same as I to D connection (passport control, customs, clear TSA).
Hello, tomorrow I will fly a LIN-FRA-IAH-SLP, first two flights operated by LH the second one with UA.
Is the "no collecting bags" rule also on for me or flights need to be all UA as I read on some older thread on TripAdvisor?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AZ112
Hello, tomorrow I will fly a LIN-FRA-IAH-SLP, first two flights operated by LH the second one with UA.
Is the "no collecting bags" rule also on for me or flights need to be all UA as I read on some older thread on TripAdvisor?
I recently had an inbound intl flight to IAH on UA, and the on-board announcement was that collecting and rechecking bags was not necessary if you had an onward intl flight on either UA or NH, but was required in all other situations. That doesn't speak directly to the situation for an inbound LH flight. I would guess the answer would be that you will need to collect your bags, but there is at least the possibility of offline I-I bag transfers at IAH involving UA. I would imagine that LH will make a suitable announcement prior to landing.
AZ112 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.