Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA crew announcement:"Please please please, don't take your shoes off" before takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA crew announcement:"Please please please, don't take your shoes off" before takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing for this exact reason. If something is going to happen, it's during those times.
If something is going to happen that is survivable, that is. After gear up, evacuation really isn't an issue anymore.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Nothing like instilling fear into the minds of hundreds unnecessarily.

The safety video is already a joke, it's just a strange thing for the pilot to single out shoes during an evacuation. The flight ended up getting canceled but if we did have an incident and had to activate, I wonder how many people would be holding things up getting their shoes on.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Sounds like it's on par with a lot of beaches.
Lordy, what beaches do you go to that are like an airliner crash site?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just too statistically unlikely of a situation for me to worry about.

It makes no sense to happily take a car to the airport and then worry about what might happen if you are not wearing your shoes during takeoff.

Do you wear shoes while you sleep at night? What if your house catches fire and you have to evacuate? I'm going to outright guess that even if you fly VERY frequently, you are much more likely to experience a house or hotel fire than an airplane evacuation.
ContinentalFan and leoo like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

It makes no sense to happily take a car to the airport and then worry about what might happen if you are not wearing your shoes during takeoff.

Do you wear shoes while you sleep at night? What if your house catches fire and you have to evacuate? I'm going to outright guess that even if you fly VERY frequently, you are much more likely to experience a house or hotel fire than an airplane evacuation.
Agreed. If the flight is over a few hours, it’s off with the shoes and on with the slippers.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I would be very happy if the pilot made such an Announcement on my flight. The pilot is correct about lack of shoes causing a problem if there is a need to evacuate, similar to leaving your personal belongings behind in an evacuation.

Now statiststatistically the best chance of surviving an incident with a plane is on landing as little fuel and reduced speed. Less likely on takeoff as speed and fuel and in the air well I would like a parachute rather than a life vest.

Now if the pilot would make an announcement that taking off your shoes on a flight can adversely impact your neighbors that would have been most helpful on my SFO-LAX flight last week as the stench when the woman in the window seat took off her shoes made my stomach turn.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I only take off my shoes if its a very long flight (over 6 hours) and I will be sleeping. I personally don't understand the aversion to footwear some have. And - PLEASE - wear socks.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
The safety video is already a joke
United abandoned any semblance of real safety videos years ago. Now they just show poorly produced TikTok videos with credit card ads.

Originally Posted by SFO1974
I only take off my shoes if its a very long flight (over 6 hours) and I will be sleeping. I personally don't understand the aversion to footwear some have. And - PLEASE - wear socks.
We're in full agreement on all points.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a story of a SQ crash where the investigation determined that some FAs would have lived if they hadn't been wearing their little slippers.
Without a citation, I suspect that's exactly what it is - a story.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

Whataboutism aside, one of the reasons it may be statistically insignificant in your estimate is because of a host of safety/risk mitigation procedures such as the the suggested one which when combined lead to the safety of flight. it's easy to say...this one thing may not make a difference....but that is partly how safety has developed over time. Ymmv
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

It makes sense, regardless of whether or not one personally wants to do it. You're wearing your shoes (I hope and pray) when you board the plane. It costs you nothing and hurts you in no way to keep them on for a few minutes extra, so that in the event of an emergency you are in no way an issue for yourself or anyone else. Yes, it's extremely unlikely to happen. But the cost to you is zero. Take your shoes off a few minutes later. This is how the social contract is fundamentally supposed to work.

You don't (or at least I don't) wear my shoes in the house normally. Putting them on at night and sleeping in them would be needless extra work. If I have to evacuate my house, I have to go out of the door or window and onto the street. You're right, if a 747 hits my house and I have to evacuate, shoes might help - but even in that case, I'm not impacting anyone else, only myself and my family.

We see idiots all the time holding up evacuations to get their luggage, phones, whatnot. Why add footwear to the list when there just isn't any need to?
uanj, wrp96, nk15 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

This is why smart people never use lie-flat seats. You need to be upright for the seat belt to work properly.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Detroiter
If something is going to happen that is survivable, that is. After gear up, evacuation really isn't an issue anymore.
I'd have to look it up to find the figure, but there was only a few minutes from takeoff to the water landing on Sully's US 1549 flight.

I'd suggest waiting four or five minutes, or so, after takeoff. If an emergency happens after that you'll have time to put the shoes back on.
SPN Lifer, notquiteaff and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing. Learned this right here in FT, from this thread where a FTer reported his experience with a UA 777 evac onto a wintery CDG runway.

UA 915 (CDG-IAD) on 2/4/2008 - 777 Evacuation Via Slides

I also keep my passport and wallet in my pants pocket during takeoff/landing.

Also, literally just minutes ago learned that someone I know took a ride down the slides on United flight 1658 in DEN yesterday.
100% same. I had never really thought of it before I read that on here, but now I do. I also only ever even think about taking them off in lie flat seats, otherwise it just doesn’t cross my mind.

Never have heard it announced though. That’s out of the ordinary but not a bad idea.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:47 pm
formerly rt23456p

Even for males? As an 85KG 178cm, wearing most long pants for me is painful, and instead I would wear sports shorts(soccer ones with pockets) whenever I travel
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cricketer
It costs you nothing and hurts you in no way to keep them on for a few minutes extra
One could say the same about wearing masks, but we all know what happens when people suggest it...

In a lie-flat seat, I always test the recline to fully flat (I have had broken seats before), and that's difficult at best with shoes on because of the tiny footwells. I can also probably put my shoes on at least as fast as I can unbuckle a seatbelt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.