Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which lounges.? multi-carrier, multi-airport, multi-country, non-status business itin

Which lounges.? multi-carrier, multi-airport, multi-country, non-status business itin

Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

On this itinerary, at which airports can I use the lounge? I have no *A status or anything else that would get me access, only this ticket.

Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EU-US
On this itinerary, at which airports can I use the lounge?
Each of them, except that youll only have lounge access at IAD if you are *G.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Get ready for a high likelihood of irops on the outbound. The YYZ-IAD flight is not great … guess YYZ-MCO is a reasonable enough reroute option.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Each of them, except that you’ll only have lounge access at IAD if you are *G.
Thank you. So even if I travel internationally (same day biz ticket) United lounge is still not included for the domestic segment? Are you sure?

Originally Posted by cfischer
Get ready for a high likelihood of irops on the outbound. The YYZ-IAD flight is not great … guess YYZ-MCO is a reasonable enough reroute option.
Yeah, I just booked a few days ago and bookings were crazy, this was the best option... the next best itinerary was all UA for $15k. LOL. Actually, this is my second attempt on this one, originally I was booked on SAS for earlier dates and they canceled the flight due to the strike. If there are hiccups with the flight, would it be the operating or the ticketing carrier that provides the rebooking? I.e. could I end up with a United flight instead AC? I'd prefer United as long as it's same day. Things are sure crazy these days.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:06 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Get ready for a high likelihood of irops on the outbound. The YYZ-IAD flight is not great guess YYZ-MCO is a reasonable enough reroute option.
this. AC OTP is horrible. Just did AC to Asia via YVR, and AC international flights (YVR-NRT and vv.) both delayed 1+ hours - and checked other dates and seemed standard - in fact, had to hustle from NRT-YVR, through customs and literally run to our gate, as we were being called for final boarding on YVR-SFO (on UA metal). AC is 👎 (also, hopefully you never have to call them!).

Thank you. So even if I travel internationally (same day biz ticket) United lounge is still not included for the domestic segment? Are you sure?
yes. UA clubs are departure lounges only. If *G, then youd have it (same day access per *A rules), or if the transborder segment was UA-operated (lounge rule exception), but with AC-operated transborder flight, no access on arrival at IAD.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
this. AC OTP is horrible. Just did AC to Asia via YVR, and AC international flights (YVR-NRT and vv.) both delayed 1+ hours - and checked other dates and seemed standard - in fact, had to hustle from NRT-YVR, through customs and literally run to our gate, as we were being called for final boarding on YVR-SFO (on UA metal). AC is 👎 (also, hopefully you never have to call them!).

I sure hope so! My previous (canceled) booking resulted in 5 hours (!) of holding to reach SAS, and they never even picked up the phone. Literally no way to reach them. Then I booked on UA, they messed up my ticket and I had to call them 3 times to fix it, total of 4.5 hours on the phone with 3 different agents. But, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger LOL... I would have never thought that booking a biz ticket comes with this level of "service"!

yes. UA clubs are departure lounges only. If *G, then you’d have it (same day access per *A rules), or if the transborder segment was UA-operated (lounge rule exception), but with AC-operated transborder flight, no access on arrival at IAD.
Well, I didn't expect any arrival lounges from United, but I thought that maybe the United ticketed international flight would give me lounge access before my domestic segment on that 4+ hour layover. Well, I guess since UA already sold me the most expensive transatlantic biz ticket I ever bought, I should let them nickel and dime me for the lounge access too. Maybe I should have asked for that when the apologetic agent who worked for 2 hours trying to fix my ticket they booked into the wrong class offered me a "free upgrade to Premium Economy". I had to inform him that biz --> prem eco would actually be a free downgrade... But unfortunately that's in line with what I have come to expect from United and many other airlines lately. It's a sellers' market and airlines are definitely taking full advantage of it.

Last edited by EU-US; Jul 13, 2022 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try to SDC 24 hr prior to departure to AMS-IAD/EWR-MCO. On UA metal you will have access in EWR/IAD to the Polaris lounge. The reason you don't have access in IAD on your itinerary is the fact that you are flying AC TATL
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, I didn't expect any arrival lounges from United, but I thought that maybe the United ticketed international flight would give me lounge access before my domestic segment on that 4+ hour layover.....
If you arrived IAD on UA. you would have gotten access at IAD. I'm guessing you chose AC routing becasue it was cheaper than UA?

...The reason you don't have access in IAD on your itinerary is the fact that you are flying AC TATL
Actually, isn't access lacking because OP 's arriving AC to IAD from Canada? If OP flew UA Canada-IAD, he would have had access.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

try to SDC 24 hr prior to departure to AMS-IAD/EWR-MCO. On UA metal you will have access in EWR/IAD to the Polaris lounge. The reason you don't have access in IAD on your itinerary is the fact that you are flying AC TATL
Sorry, what is SDC?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you arrived IAD on UA. you would have gotten access at IAD. I'm guessing you chose AC routing becasue it was cheaper than UA?
yeah... $4k vs 15k

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
yeah... $4k vs 15k
There you go - seems like you can be "nickeled and dimed" and still be much farther ahead than buying the UA flights that would have gotten lounge access. Your complaint is misguided. You've got an excellent deal.

"SDC" - Same day change
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Actually, isn't access lacking because OP 's arriving AC to IAD from Canada? If OP flew UA Canada-IAD, he would have had access.
right. That would have worked as well

Sorry, what is SDC?
Same day confirm. On a UA ticket you can change to any other UA-op flight that day as long as the booking class is available for free (or near free). That is possible as soon as check-in for the 1st segment opens. More difficult with the first segment not on UA, but since it is a UA ticket they would let you change to a UA operated flight. You can also ask at AMS airport. P-class is obviously the lowest booking class, but day of departure UA might open that up if they still have more than just a seat or two.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

right. That would have worked as well

Same day confirm. On a UA ticket you can change to any other UA-op flight that day as long as the booking class is available for free (or near free). That is possible as soon as check-in for the 1st segment opens. More difficult with the first segment not on UA, but since it is a UA ticket they would let you change to a UA operated flight. You can also ask at AMS airport. P-class is obviously the lowest booking class, but day of departure UA might open that up if they still have more than just a seat or two.
Thanks! I will try that. I don't understand what you mean by the "as long as the booking class is available for free (or near free)" part.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lounge access for non-status / non-lounge member is principally determined by departure flight. Nearly all lounges are departure lounges. However many carriers will provide domestic lounge access if flying a same day international Business / First segment on that carrier. This is not "nickeled and dimed" but rather a common practice in the industry. The ticketing carrier has nothing to do with this "free" access, it is all about operating carrier for Star Alliance carriers.

Note on a UA ticket you may get an offer to purchase access to UA lounges if not free.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I will try that. I don't understand what you mean by the "as long as the booking class is available for free (or near free)" part.
Actually, I don't think this will work. United's website says this:

"If youre a customer or MileagePlus member without Premier status, you may be able to confirm a seat on another flight within 24 hours of your originally scheduled departure time. A fare difference may apply even if the same original fare class is available."

I don't have any status on UA so they would charge me even for a same day flight change in the same class...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lounge access for non-status / non-lounge member is principally determined by departure flight. Nearly all lounges are departure lounges. However many carriers we provide domestic lounge access if flying a same day international Business / First segment on that carrier. This is not "nickeled and dimed" but rather a common practice in the industry. The ticketing carrier has nothing to do with this "free" access, it is all about operating carrier for Star Alliance carriers.

Note on a UA ticket you may get an offer to purchase access to UA lounges if not free.
Thanks. I will see what happens. If not, then there is Lounge Buddy...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I don't have any status on UA so they would charge me even for a same day flight change in the same class...
Correct

Most here are UA elites and we tend to forgot that is an elite benefit while others are charged.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.